Whole house surge protection

Anyone take the step to have one of these installed (or already have one)? I’ve seen Siemens and Eaton products that seem to be well regarded and they just get installed at the breaker, but seems like this would be a logical next step after installing several smart switches, etc or is there really a need at all?

I have a SquareD that mounts in the panel over 2 slots. It has never tripped, but before I had it installed I lost a TV to a surge. I haven’t had any issues since.

It certainly won’t hurt.

1 Like

I recently upgraded our meter / panel. Also have the SquareD 50kA surge protector. If you have one of these, make sure it’s in the slots closest to the feeds coming in so it can grab any over-current before it can get to other circuits. I’ve lost a handful of electronics over the years. For the price, they are definitely worth it!

1 Like

I’ve installed these in the last 3 houses I lived in. CHSPT2ULTRA | Eaton CHSPT2 surge protection device | Eaton

Never lost any device due to surge from street or within the house.

2 Likes

EDIT: NVM, lol

1 Like

Still requires double pole breakers (preferably near inputs).

Thanks all! :slight_smile:

Gonna contact an electrician and get one installed.

Another upvote for Eaton. It didn’t look that complicated, but I still had an electrician do it.