Wiring help needed to add a Blue 2-1 to a very messy (and confusing) 3 gang box

Hello, question for the group I could really use help with. This is way over my head. I have a wiring box in my Master Bedroom which has line, load, neutral, and ground wires coming into the box from the bottom left. Additionally, there are two punchouts with wires of their own coming out of the top left and right sides of the inside of the box. One goes to a ceiling fan, while the other to a ceiling fan light. The existing switches in the diagram below detailing these things currently work, although the Inovelli zwave dimmer switch has a slight delay when first turning on.

Diagram: https://imgur.com/a/o2NJRsA

Question:
Can someone help me figure out how to add a Blue 2-1 to my 3 gang switch box? I want to connect 2 hue bulbs (placed in bedside lamps). I believe this is done in smart bulb mode (via direct bind). Extra credit if there’s any way to clean up this wiring mess. :slight_smile:

I think if you are going to use Smart Bulb mode, you just wire up everything the way it’s currently setup. Switching to Smart Bulb mode just tells the switch to keep itself permanently on and paddle taps send Zigbee commands only and do not toggle the relay.

For making more room and cleaner connections, I have been using Wago Lever connectors. I find them much easier to work with. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018MGMFDI?ref_=cm_sw_r_cp_ud_dp_Y9KAZ212KXE1HZZ71BXS

1 Like

So this is a 3-gang (i.e. 3 switches) box in which one switch controls the ceiling fan and the other switch controls the ceiling fan light? The switch controlling the ceiling fan light is an Inovelli Red, but you want to swap it out for an Inovelli Blue?

If that is the case, then you can just swap the Red for the Blue, connecting the same three conductors to the same terminals. If you are trying to do something else, then post back as I’m not sure your diagram/terms are 100% correct.

BTW, by default, there are delays with both the Red and the Blue, 700 ms for the Red and 500 ms for the Blue, to allow for multi-taps. You can adjust those delays, or remove them, in the device’s settings.

Apologies for the confusion. This would explain the response from @tigers as well. I would like to keep the two existing switches (GE Fan Switch and Inovelli Red) and add a third switch (Inovelli Blue). When looking at the diagram do I have enough wiring to add the Blue switch to just control my Hue bulbs somewhere else in the room?

Btw… Thanks for the link to the Wago Lever connectors. I totally forgot about those! I’ve heard a lot of positive things about them.

Ok, so I understand that you want to use the 3rd bay in the 3-gang box to add a Blue which will NOT have a load and will use to control Hue bulbs that are not connected to it.

To do that you only need to provide a hot, neutral and ground to the 3rd switch. Take a look at the back of the Inovelli Red and see if the 2nd hole for the hot and neutral is unoccupied. If it is, then the easiest way to do that would be to make two jumpers and a pigtail.

You’ll need a length of 14-2 Romex (presuming your Romex is #14. Cut about 8" or so. Then pull the three conductors out of the sheath. Connect the black to the Line terminal and the white to the Neutral terminal on both switches. For the ground, pigtail to the ground bundle in the box.

If the 2nd holes in the Inovelli are occupied, you’ll have to pigtail all three, black to Line and white to the Neutral bundle.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ve ordered the extra parts and plan to wire this up this weekend. Will mark as solved once I wrap this up.

1 Like

It took awhile to safely cram all 3 smart switches into the 3 gang box I had but FINALLY got it working today. THANK YOU FOR THE HELP!!! Couldn’t have done it without you.

1 Like