Z-Wave 5-Button Scene Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Limitless

When you preorder, do you not specify paddle colors or etchings? I know what color I want (black) but not yet ready to settle on the etchings

@Eric_Inovelli Is this able to replace a 4 way switch, where the load and line are in separate boxes? I have 3 separate switches controlling the lights in my kitchen. I’d like to replace the middle 4 way switch with this (not directly connected to line and load). The other two are just generic on / off wall switches. I am looking to use this as an on/off switch no dimmer, then use the scene buttons to control inovelli light strip scenes. Possible?

Not likely. 4-way switches are double-pole, double-throw switches.

The specs cite multi-way compatibility, but that means the dimmer portion can go in the same place as a regular Inovelli dimmer. That means the box to which the power is fed.

You might be able to replace all the switches with Inovellis and then control them via association, but I don’t think that’s what you’re asking about.

It will likely take a bit of rewiring and I cannot speak to code or other “licensed electrician” issues as I am not one. :slight_smile:

But, in general, there is a lot more flexibility. You can use a switch such as the Inovelli, which supports a hardwired Aux switch (such as one from GE/Jasco). Rather than needing super complex wiring arrangements, you generally can hook up a few (read the instructions for the limit) of these Aux switches IN PARALLEL (in other words, they all hook up (I believe) to a neutral in the remote box and then to a wire that goes back to the Inovelli’s “traveler” terminal.

Doing this, you can have 2, 3, etc switches controlling the load. AND, there are advantages in that this results in rather instant control (no delay due to Z-wave traffic and/or hub traffic).

However, it is likely that the remote/aux switches will NOT perform the other “scene” type actions triggered by 2x, 3x, 4x, 5x taps (those are likely to only work on the main Inovelli switch).

1 Like

Did this go anywhere? Are you guys still considering labeling options?
That would be a game changer for this switch and the future remotes.

I understand price plays a big role here but affordable does’t mean cheap.
I mean, Lutron often charges you around $35 to engrave a remote and we pay for it so… there may be an audience for this sort of cusotmization out there.

2 Likes

I wish the on/off button for the local load where at the top. It makes more sense there as that would be the primary function of the switch. Being at the bottom would certainly confuse a lot of people who see and use the switch for the first time. I guess it could be fixed by installing the switch upside down. Not sure how it would look with the air gap at the top.

Providing an icon/etching for the local load like the Initial Mockup picture at the top of the thread would alleviate this. I wouldn’t do stickers as that feels cheap and would eventually fail.

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli I wanted to bump this too. I’ve got several of these pre-ordered, and would find it very helpful if I could get them labeled. Otherwise I’m considering labeling them with my label maker but that definitely won’t look as good or last as long.

I actually agree. Can we get an inverted switch parameter like the traditional toggle varieties to reverse the dim up and dim down controls?

+1 I think this was a big miss as far as user experience goes.
Take a look at the zooz equivalent, you can’t miss the “primary button” in there.
Inverting the switch might help but then you end up with the LEDs on the oposite side.

One thing for sure. People who have no idea what the buttons do will (most of the time) start from top to bottom.

I disagree. Despite being cheaper, I don’t like the zooz scene controller because it has the big button at the top, and prefer the Inovelli design on the bottom.

In my case, I want this in a spot where the switch is not the priority purpose (exterior light that is automated and no need to manually use daily) and the scene buttons are more important to use (garage door, locks, alarm).

The existing red switch and dimmer can be used where the switch is the primary focus, as they already support notifications and scenes.

2 Likes

This is spot on as to the inspiration behind the design. It actually was supposed to be a non-load controlling scene controller and what was originally spec’d by the other company. We added the load portion in later as we thought it would be useful.

I can definitely see the argument for the load buttons being on top if this was a dimmer switch first and then scene controller second. We will definitely put the invert option on this switch, but as @CodeMaster pointed out, unfortunately the LED’s would be on the wrong side.

@rohan – excellent question – @anon88759745 is looking into this right now. We had a former employee looking into it, but when he left, it kind of slipped through the cracks. We do plan on figuring it out soon and will definitely keep everyone posted!

3 Likes

Will all 5 buttons have individual “Default Level (Local) Default” parameter?
I currently have the Red Dimmer with scenes (2up = 30%, 3up=50%, etc) but sometimes Hubitat hangs and wont run the scene. Therefore, I am hoping this new switch will have ability to set parameter for power level on each button individually. I hope what I am saying makes sense.

@Eric_Inovelli

Crazy idea - could you guys release the stl for the buttons so we can 3d print our own? in tinkercad, it’s pretty easy to add on text either indented or raised to a model. And we can do our own colors if we like.

(Sorry if this has been answered before, I am have having issues searching this mega-thread.)

1 Like

Are there final association specs for this device yet? I don’t really care about the local load control buttons. I’ll be using them only for extra scenes. In fact, I’d be happy if there was a version of this with no relay at all. Just a straight up button controller! :slight_smile:

There is a 5-button remote (no load) on the 2022 roadmap. I assume it will be battery powered. @Eric_Inovelli can confirm.

1 Like

I like the RGB indicators, and the quickness of a hardwired solution (plus not having to keep a stock of yet another size button cell!). But location flexibility of a battery remote is a plus.

Is this still expected around 10/1/21? Asking because I’ve yet to hear someone reach out for my labeling options and theoretically this should probably already be on a ship over to the US from China if it were going to arrive aroundf 10/1 so…

We do not ship via sea - we ship via air.

Hopefully Eric should have an update for everyone shortly! I’ll break the bad news though and say they will not be ready by 10/1. Pretty status quo for an Inovelli project!

3 Likes

Are preorders still open on this? I tried the link at the top of the thread which gets me to the product page but I don’t see anything to click to order. But I also didn’t see anything that said preorders were closed and the top of the thread makes it sound like they are still open. What am I missing?

I suspect that mine will be arriving the week of 11/8… :rofl: