Z-Wave 800 Series 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project Phoenix

I can confirm this works.

HomeSeer doesn’t use any drivers, so it doesn’t ‘support’ or ‘not support’ any specific number of taps. It takes whatever capability the switch reports during inclusion and uses that to populate the options (button 1 pressed once, twice, etc, button 2 pressed once, twice, etc, button 3 pressed once, twice, etc- these aren’t generic, they are created from what the switch reports during inclusion).

But that’s not even a hard limit; if the switch gets added capability later on with new firmware (as happened with the Gen2 Reds) HomeSeer still reports the multi-tap event, just without a friendly name. So instead of ‘Scene 003 key pushed 2 times’ it’ll say something like ‘Hallway Switch Central Scene reports status 3002’. You can use that to trigger an event- like ‘IF hallway switch central scene was set to custom status 3002, THEN do whatever’.
That’s one reason I like HomeSeer- nothing like this is ever unsupported.

And that continues with the Phoenix 2in1 switch.
Using HomeSeer 4.2.18.0, with the S2 Z-Wave (ARM) plugin 3.0.9.0-BETA, the Phoenix switch works out of box with multi taps on the Config button. This is what I get for a 5-tap of the config button… no setup other than including the switch was done here:

I will say this switch plays VERY nicely with HomeSeer. You will not be disappointed.

4 Likes

Thanks much for the detailed response. That’s exactly the info I was looking for, and now I’m really looking forward to getting these. It’s also interesting to learn that the capability discovery is part of the inclusion process. Very cool!

2 Likes

The timeline hasn’t been updated in who knows how long and the last bi-weekly update is from February 3, so 7 weeks ago at this point (March 24).

I know some info is in the thread, but the idea behind the timeline and bi-weekly report was so we wouldn’t have to go through the whole thread to keep abreast of events/progress.

So please update the timeline and give us a new “bi-weekly” report.

Searched up for Eric and found this:

For the people that nerd out on spec sheets like me. Not sure why there two listing.

Dimmer/Switch
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/4787?selectedFrequencyId=2

2-in-1
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/4764?selectedFrequencyId=2

Any updates on when these will start shipping?

2 Likes

Forgive my ignorance, but I assume there is some kind of CPU in them. Assuming that is the case, is it any faster/more powerful than in the Red Dimmer. Likewise, besides the 800 series chip itself, are the Z-Wave and/or Zigbee antennas any bigger/more “powerful” (sensitive?)) then in the Red Dimmer?

Yes more powerful (not sure on cpu but definitely more memory). The 800 will support zwave LR.

Thanks for the response. My #1 issue with Hubitat is the mysterious and repeating lag issue that comes and goes and all my switches are Inovelli Red Dimmers, Blacks or Fan + Light. It may be a RAM issue with the lag being caused by the switch or the Hub’s need to swap out items to the disk, even if it is an SSD. So mo’ is mo’. My C-8 arrived but I won’t get it until late in the week as it is my surprise b-day present (but since I’m the one who ordered it and I know it was delivered, the surprise may be somewhat limited. :-))

I think you will be pleased with the C8. Previously my meshes were convoluted with most devices taking multiple (sometimes backwards) hops on their route to the older hubs.

With the newest radio chips and external antennas on the C8 almost every device is a direct hop away from the hub. Its super snappy response now.

One is URC branded, the other is Inovelli.

1 Like

Update: We had to push back a couple weeks due to a last minute push on firmware. Long story short, we need to add the following:

• Parameter that optimizes non-neutral max output
  • Parameter that addresses LED Scaling

For the non-neutral output, there is built in logic to essentially “throttle” the output on the load because when the output is high, all the power is taken away by the bulb, which leads to some signal instability (flickering) and the switch cannot obtain enough power. So, the output is reduced about 25% (causing your max dim level to be lower than what it was without a smart switch).

However, we’ve noticed that there are bulbs out there that can handle this output much better and we put a parameter on there to unlock the throttle so you’d have close to full power (still about 10% less than neutral). If you notice flickering, you can reduce the max dim level until it stops.

For the LED scaling – we noticed the LED bar scaling does not match our Gen 2’s, so we wanted to add a parameter to match it if you’d like.

We will receive this firmware tomorrow and test quickly before moving to production the following week. Everything else has been produced and/or sourced so at least it’s not causing a bottleneck.

I’ll continue to update as we finish production.

10 Likes

I need it badly!!! :slight_smile:
Unrelated question - what is the status of 4-in-1 motion sensor. I wanted to pair dimmers with sensors in bathrooms (and get rid of Hue sensors)

Sounds like you should be checking out the new blue mmwave switch that went live for pre-orders last night. Presence sensor is built right into it so no need for an external sensor at all :wink:

Will this have occupancy detection like the mmWave Smart Switch with Presence Sensing Radar | Indiegogo ?

No, this is simply the Zwave version of the Blue Series 2 in 1 switch.

And as I read it the mmWave will be Zigbee, correct? After the experience of transforming the Blue 2 in 1 to Z-Wave, about how long, if ever, in terms of X # of months (or years) might we see an mmWave Z-Wave version?

Thats really cool.
Unfortunately I can’t wait , I need it NOW :slight_smile: and I am using 2 Motion sensors in the bathroom, one general motion in bathroom open area and another is in the shower (behind the glass, which blocks IR signal from PIR sensor). I do not know if glass will block mmWave Radar signal, most likely it will attenuate the signal significantly, so will need separate sensor in the shower area. The only one readable Z-wave Motion sensor on market today is Aeotec (with integrated light sensor and reasonable reporting time), and it is PIR, not mmWave

Regards

Yes, this is correct (mmWave will start in Zigbee).

I’m not sure on a Z-Wave equivalent just yet, but I can say that based on the success this has shown, it’s made things much easier to envision a Z-Wave version.

We sold more of the mmWave switches in the first 24hrs than we did the 2-1’s, so that’s an excellent start! I think we need to at least double where we’re at first before we start seriously considering the Z-Wave version from purely a math and margin standpoint.

6 Likes

I’m ready to pre-order a 10-pack of these, but I’m going to want at least a couple of paddles in black. They aren’t available yet, and I’d rather not have to pay additional shipping just for those. @Eric_Inovelli do you know how soon those will be available to order?