Z-Wave PIR Sensor | Project Pongo

These are Z-Wave 700 and have PIR support are two big differences. I’m also not sure what the light sensor range is on the 4-in-1, so the 20 lux in this case may be limiting.

1 Like

Yeah the 700 chipset makes sense, but the 4 in 1 is also PIR, so that part threw me as to why it’s being called out specifically here

It looks like these have not been answered:

With the white label hardware design there is not a way to currently have a plug in power source.

This is something that can likely be added as we are making a few modifications to the firmware.

I’m not sure the motion sensor supports luminance reporting. I have verified temperature reporting for both the motion sensor and door sensor, but have not seen any luminance reports coming in. @Eric_Inovelli did the manufacturer say this was part of the device’s spec?

Edit: NM, I was able to get some luminance reports.

4 Likes

Man… I need to start saving up now. It looks like I will finally have a decent replacement for some of my older z-wave motion sensors that have started to fail. Especially now that the temperature and lux reporting is confirmed.

Just to be clear, there’s no temperature sensing on the PIR, just lux. EDIT: Magic Maycock found temperature on this bad boy.

Yeah you’re correct, both have PIR support. We likely will market these as Motion Sensors like our 4-1 bc I’m not sure everyone knows what PIR stands for (I didn’t until I looked it up). The other main difference (outside of 700 Series) is these are specifically designed for pet immunity. I believe you can set the sensitivity on the 4-1, but these are more sensitive which is nice.

1 Like

Good to know - thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

Wait, then why am I getting temperature reports?!?

3 Likes

WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!

4 Likes

The product manual does mention both lux and air temperature :slight_smile: image

That’s weird bit 0? I sure hope that’s for Enable/Disable and not for possible data values :smiley:

1 Like

Its a quantum bit. It can contain any value, but it changes as soon as you observe it :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Power source:
My biggest issue with these type of sensors is that I have to keep on changing batteries. No matter if it uses standard AA batteries or Lithium 1/AA (Better, but hard to get and expensive).
It should have the ability to be powered by USB. Moreover, if they can come with an USB adapter that can be plugged directly to an AC outlet, without covering the top outlet, it would be great. For example, replacing the back cover with the AC adapter to make it into an integrated unit. If you can do that, I think you’d have a winner product.
Besides PIR, consider adding Lux, so it can be used as a presence sensor.
Adding temperature and possibly humidity, it can also be used as an auxiliary thermostat (ie to turn on or off dampers and dehumidifiers).

It uses CR123A batteries, so I think you’ll get pretty good battery life. The specs say three years, so even if you get a year out of a battery, that’s a win in my book. That spec is posted in the original post.

If you read a few posts up you’ll see a discussion of the temperature reporting capability, so no need to add it.

Are these still in the works? If so, couple of questions:

1. How configurable will the reporting delay be? For use cases like lighting, reporting as often as every 30s can be useful. I’m fine with changing batteries more often in exchange for more active reporting.
  2. How configurable will sensitivity be? Again for the motion lighting use case I want super maximum sensitivity so it doesn’t miss my kids and so lights always come on instantly when entering a room.
  3. Will it send “motion off” events immediately upon no motion detected? This is useful for room occupancy detection.