Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

Thanks for the reply! So if I understand it correctly, I currently have a smart bulb in a fixture controlled by a kasa smart switch, but of course the bulb loses power when the switch is off. So when my blue switches gets here, I should go for the smart mode? Probably should have led with that question. Thanks again!

1 Like

While we’re on the topic of Thread/Matter and Zigbee, will updating (via cable) the first batch of switches mean that they will only work with Thread/Matter, or will Zigbee support be preserved and able to be used simultaneously?

And just to clarify (I think someone mentioned it above), once initially updated via serial cable to Thread/Matter any future Thread/Matter updates can occur OTA?

If Zigbee support is maintained and I only have to do the serial update process once I’d be much more inclined to keep my order of MG21 switches rather than wanting to wait for the newer chipset.

1 Like

Yes. Turn on the Smart Bulb Mode (SBM) and then (if your bulb is Zigbee) bind the switch to the bulb. In the alternative, control the bulb via a scene triggered by the switch.

1 Like

Yes they are Zigbee (Phillips Hue). Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

I just thought of another question if you don’t mind. I have another similar situation but with 3 hue bulbs in a ceiling fan light fixture that is controlled by a wall switch, independently of the fan. I am assuming I would not be able to do the binding to the switch, or can more than one bulb be bound to a single blue switch?

Not sure if it matters but I use HA for everything.

Binding | Zigbee2MQTT
This may help, but technically if the bulbs support group binding then it should work.
How To’s | Setup Zigbee Binding - Home Assistant (ZHA) - How To’s & Flex Zone / Wiki & How-To’s - Inovelli Community

How To’s | Setup Zigbee Binding - Home Assistant (Zigbee2MQTT) - How To’s & Flex Zone / Wiki & How-To’s - Inovelli Community

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Also . . .

ZHA:
Inovelli Blue Series | Advanced Features - Zigbee Group Binding with Home Assistant (ZHA) - YouTube

Zigbee2MQTT:

2 Likes

Each individual bulb can be or the group of the bulbs can be bound to the switch. HOWEVER, the bulbs cannot be used with a Hue bridge AND grouped/bound to the switch, so you might lose some of the Hue-only features.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I was actually just about to ask that. :joy: My hue bulbs are currently connected to the hue bridge, usable in HA with the hue integration. I would just need to ditch the hue bridge and connect them directly to my zigbee2mqtt dongle for the binding to work. Not too worried about the additional hue features I guess. I never use the hue app for anything other than the initial setup.

1 Like

@ryknow27 Doesn’t sound like a big deal for you, but you could also continue using the Hue integration and create automations to turn on the bulbs when a switch button is pressed. How well this works depends on your smart platform of choice though. I’m using Home Assistant with a Hue Bridge v2 (so no binding) and my automations work great with no noticeable latency from the moment I press the button to when the light turns on (or off). I do this for two reasons: 1) I actually do like the Hue app, using the pre-built scenes, etc. 2) I activate different scenes based on time of day (day = Concentrate, evening = Relax, etc.)

All that said, when I had a similar set up using SmartThings, latency could be pretty bad at times. On occasion, it was several seconds before a light would react. That was years ago now though, so I’m not sure if traffic can be completely local now or if it still has to traverse the internet.

Edit: fixed a type

1 Like

Only issue is if the hub is down, that is lost. If directly bound, they will work locally with no hub whatsoever (I’ve tested with HA down, and it works flawlessly).

1 Like

@kreene1987 good point. It’s never been an issue, but I do need to be selective on when I’m doing HA upgrades, etc., so definitely something to consider!

1 Like

To weigh in here, I’m comfortable enough with DIY options, but I couldn’t tell you what type of flashing harness I would need for this type of thing, and building it myself or self-sourcing (without guidance) is not something I’d consider feasible.

It would be hugely helpful if someone at Inovelli or in the community would be able to purchase, test/verify, and then share the product link, to something that is “known good”. I have complete faith that we will get good instructions, but the “YMMV based on which separate device you bought to flash with” is the part that always worries me about this sort of thing. Being able to guarantee I’m using the same steps that someone else has used would go a long way in getting me confident in the process, personally.

When the time comes, I will certainly also wonder whether it makes sense to just not install my switch until after I’ve flashed it, rather than installing it in my wall, powering down, flashing, restoring power, etc. But that conversation can wait until I have my switches in hand :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your updates and your work to bring these to us. Very exciting that we’re nearing the end of the initial timeline here!

4 Likes

I am sure I am going to be roasted for asking, but…is this thread the best place to look for updates on when they will be shipping?

Perfectly logical question. Pretty much, yes. Although, if you have pre-ordered, Eric has promised to send the pre-orderees regular updates via e-mail.

1 Like

Incredibly pleased to stumble upon this product in the last few days as I’m putting the final touches on the home automation plan for our remodel/build. The updates and transparent approach are greatly appreciated!

Having skimmed the thread, has an updated shipping estimate, post-distribution, been shared? Would be a USA based client. Our electrician wraps up behind the walls this week, and switch install/finish work would be taking place mid to late October. Trying to gauge if this is a viable option, or if I should give them the green light on dumb switches that we’ll replace down the line.

Thanks in advance!

Matte Biscuit. Pretty please

The email I received for my pre-order, estimates production to be completed by Sept.10 2022, subject to Covid, weather, etc. Not sure when shipping would start and given the many things Eric & Co. are working on, I’ll leave it to them for an answer

1 Like

This looks to be the latest.

Sept 10 finish plus air ship plus distribution/shipping, I’d say end of Sept delivery would be reasonable.

1 Like