Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

Very brief update while we wait for the engineers to come back from CNY.

Version 2 of the hype video was released this morning – I’m really loving where it’s going!

Link: Hype Video V2
(I know it says V1 in the hyperlink, but it’s really V2).

Some of the shots are hazy because they are just placeholders for my approval – during the final rendering they will be hi-res.

Some of the taglines will be changed too :slight_smile: .

11 Likes

I am so excited reading all of the developments here. Count me in for a pre-order when it’s ready or a beta test if you’re still looking for more feedback. I’m amazed at what I’m seeing :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s pretty amazing from the previous concept video, excited for the finished version!

1 Like

Awesome video. Can’t wait to get my hands on some.

Hi Chack, pleasure to be here, you are totally right, at this stage, Matter is supported through Threads, because Threads have IP protocols, which Zigbee does not.
The information we received and our thinking is that Matter will continue to improve the stack and support Zigbee in the future, and if it is not supporting Zigbee in a short enough time, there will be some good ZigBee-to-Matter bridging solutions.

6 Likes

Awesome, thank you for that clarification @Darwyn_Inovelli!

Thanks for the clarification @Darwyn_Inovelli

1 Like

So…

Since @Eric_Inovelli and @Darwyn_Inovelli are here.

Has there been any concideration to let people void their warranty, by open sourcing the firmware so people that are comfortable flashing the firmware customize it for their setup?

I think I saw they are using a SiLabs radio, as long as the fw is not locked /protected you should be able to compile and run your own. Silicon Labs just opened up the sdk which used to require at least a $99 debug kit purchase to get access.

The better option would be for you all to use a chip that can be firmware updated to Thread. Similar how Eve devices and Wemo remotes were updated via an OTA firmware update to switch from Bluetooth or Wi-Fi to Thread.

2 Likes

I think I remember @Eric_Inovelli saying that the first version isn’t able to be OTA updated. And my guess it is because of the amount of memory you need space for the old and the new firmware when you are doing an OTA update. I don’t actually know, but that is the most common problem.

My hope, and once it is released I will be asking again, is that I will be able to manually flash the new firmware.
Pictures have already been posted where the the pads are to do it.

There has been consideration, yes :).

We briefly touched on it here: Use the community to help with development

This is definitely something that I’d love to pursue as I do believe in open source firmware. There are obviously some security points to consider such as figuring out how to make it so that the code can only be used for Inovelli switches and can’t be ripped off easily by competitors. I don’t know enough about how that all works, but when we go down that path, it’s something I’d love to figure out.

I truly believe this is more of a benefit than a risk though in that now people can make their own firmware versions and people can download certain versions based on their preference (similar to the custom Android ROMS).

Yes, this is correct – I think it’s just bc the chip itself isn’t capable of OTA (MG21) – or at least that’s what we’re told. MG24 is set to release shortly which does have OTA capabilities, but we haven’t been able to source that yet. Given the fact that most people are going to use this simply as a device to connect to SmartThings, Hubitat, HA, etc, we felt we would release the first version of the switch with MG21 and when MG24 is released, we will update the switch to this chip.

There will be a port where you can update your firmware, however, on the MG21 version of the switch. So, not OTA, but rather via cable.

4 Likes

Is your attorney back from vacation yet? :rofl: I would bounce the questions about how opening up the firmware will impact your product certifications and corporate liability before you open that Pandora’s box…

2 Likes

It’ll be in the EULA.

1 Like

Agree with the better intermediate solution being to utilize 802.15.4 radios and hardware that is OTA updatable between Zigbee and thread. Bluetooth is separate and will need to be there for fallback networking and for the OTA upgrade most likely.

Lastly having a plan to make a current (Via upgrade) or near future Inovelli Zigbee hub Matter compliant/compatible would solve most if not all of the issues with bringing previously purchased switches into Matter compatibility without the absolute necessity of voiding consumer warranties or Inovelli going through corporate lawyer hoops. The hub would handle Zigbee communication to older switches and then speak the universal Matter application layer to all smarthome hub ecosystems. Any newly released thread switches you make skip that hub and go straight to all smarthome hub ecosystems via matter.

Plus, hubs aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. The automations of the big 3 that will be supporting matter are (and will probably always be) limited. Building complicated automations, will likely always require a 3rd party hub.

@grooves12, I have to agree hubs aren’t going anywhere till they are incorporated into everyone’s wi-fi routers. I have to say I don’t think hubs fix the complicated routines problem, consumer hubs are marketed as being easy, there is always another level of complexity. HA Yellow, and future generations, are probably the closest thing to an advanced hub well see.

1 Like

That’s actually one of the advantages of Thread: it doesn’t require a hub. Just a device that acts as a Thread border router and connects to your LAN, like the Nanoleaf panels. Thread is also being activated in wifi routers like Nest Wifi. Then any middle layer like Matter can communicate with those devices. Obviously for automation engines and the like, you’ll also need a hub to control those Thread devices. I do like that hubs are becoming more embedded instead of standalone devices. They’re in smart speakers, smart screens, soon will be in Samsung TVs and fridges, etc.

(we’re really starting to derail this post :joy:)

2 Likes

First time posting! I am all in on HomeKit and found Inovelli by accident. After reading a few threads and seeing the red series, I thought I hit the jackpot to see the roadmap for the blue series. I had to read up on Zigbe and Matter to learn that it should be able to be updated to work with HomeKit. At least in the Apple community, anything with Thread support gets TONS of free publicity/reviews…and apparently sells very well. I understand Matter to be the “language” that is mostly coding…Thread is the hardware that people worry about when buying something. Stressing future compatibility with Thread vice Matter is what would make me buy it instantly. Instead I went down this rabbit hole to figure out matter, thread, and Zigbe to see if I need to wait or not. I also discovered this great community! Great for the techie guy here but I don’t think a regular non-tech type would do any research. Just look for the Made for Apple or Thread support. Sorry if this is long winded and all over the place, I just want to buy these Blue Series! Would be good to see some HomeKit love here…when signing up, HomeKit wasn’t even an option for a community.

1 Like

I am getting excited!
the official hype video is out.

@Eric_Inovelli, is it too soon to ask when?
Maybe a better question is what hurdles do you have left? I know you mentioned the UL testing has been backed up.

5 Likes