Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

So it sounds like smart bulbs in the “off” position probably won’t draw enough power to reliably keep it on? uggh…

Depends on the smart bulb. Which bulb are you using? Just to clarify this only matters in a non neutral configuration.

1 Like

The majority of my bulbs are the newish A21 Philips Hue 1600 lumen white and color bulbs in pairs (or more) per circuit, and I intend to run them in smart bulb mode so the circuit is never broken by the switch. A number of my switches do not have neutrals.

Edit: Aaah, I’m guessing the problem is not so much the “once it’s in smart mode and the relay is locked on” as “is there enough draw during bootup after a power cycle to get the switch to the point that it can lock the relay on”? So while my bulbs which should draw roughly enough power (when on!) they probably need to be configured to turn on at full brightness after a power outage?

With two bulbs you should be fine. Power level doesn’t matter. @Eric_Inovelli has a bunch of hue bulbs and can probably comment on the minimum number for a non neutral configuration.

It’s really the low power scenario. Usually this is when the bulb is powered but off so only the board and wireless components are using power. In my experience when bulbs are on and bright they draw a LOT more power than the board and wireless components alone.

2 Likes

Hot off the press… The manual will look a little different inside the box. No more unfolding an origami manual, but rather you can flip through a nice little booklet :slight_smile:

I’ll be housing this online too along with our digital manual.

VZM31-SN - Inovelli Blue Series Smart 2-1 Switch (On-Off or Dimmer).pdf (1012.6 KB)

Edit: updated and changed some errors, thanks @mrbatmark!

Spoke with the manufacturer earlier and we’re still on track to receive the official UL reports this Friday (the 15th) and production is tentatively scheduled for the first week in August. They’re coordinating with UL for the factory inspection.

Edit 2: I wanted to personally thank @amdbuilder for optimizing my InDesign file and for help with the graphic design. Thank you so much – it turned out awesome!

16 Likes

Exciting, @Eric_Inovelli! Just moved to a new house; looking forward to filling it with these switches!

3 Likes

I noticed that, under the “Getting to know your switch” section (page 9), the labels for the config/favorites button and the RGB LED bar on the picture should be reversed.

Also, on page 41 you’re either missing a word or meant to say “fit” in the sentence: “You didn’t think we’d be able to it the HA instructions in here,
did you?! Please visit our website :)”

Looks pretty good otherwise on a brief read-through. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks so much! Great eyes :slight_smile:

Page 29

prevent lickering

… Quick fix, wouldn’t want to give people the wrong idea!

Also, any estimates on when Canadian customers will receive pre orders? Thanks.

2 Likes

LOL!

Yeah, Idk what’s going on with the “f’s” missing in these typos… it shows up fine in the InDesign file, but for some reason it’s not converting properly in the PDF version, which is making for some funny mistakes :joy:.

Anyway, I’ll update it, great catch!

Great question – I’m going to talk to the logistics guy today to see what our gameplan is for Canada. I’d like to figure out a way to ship direct to avoid the tariffs and customs issues, but we don’t have a warehouse up there, so it makes things complicated.

But we plan on fulfilling pre-orders in the order in which they were placed regardless of country.

1 Like

As a brand guy, my eyes immediately saw LinkedIn when I looked at your QR … you may need to rethink your QR logo font and coloring.

Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 2.53.13 PM vs Screen Shot 2022-07-14 at 2.54.18 PM

8 Likes

Random question for you so I can better organize things for you

Happy to volunteer for a screen sharing / user interview to give you some qualitative feedback about how some new users (like me) are going about this.

I strongly agree with putting this in the product page. While the community has a lot of rich, informative content, it’s incredibly overwhelming for a new user – or a casual community lurker.

3 Likes

I don’t mean to sound pushy, even though this post is probably going to… but there’s lots of us out here I imagine that are desperate to get our hands on these switches because we’ve currently got nothing in our walls and don’t want to spend more money on other devices while we wait.

So, just for my own curiosity, and assuming hypothetically that manufacturing starts when planned and shipping begins when expected now (late August IIRC), is there any way for us to get a rough idea of how long we may need to wait, based on our Order number? Or an idea of how many switches the manufacturer will be able to output per day/week/month?

I’m nearly positive that I’m not an early order (#18722), as I only learned about Inovelli a few short months ago when planning my smart home. Should I be anticipating not getting my hands on these until much later in the year, based on that?

4 Likes

i am on the same page here, would love some more info if at all possible. Have full house reno with no switches in the wall… really want to support the product & company, but my wife may stab me.

1 Like

Multi-unit preorder here too. Super excited about these but in active renovation now. We have the backup plan to use dumb switches if we have to initially but I’d really love to not pay twice for the electricians time. Any sort of timeline info would be a huge help!

I apologize if I missed it, but has the UL certification been passed at this stage at least?

Thanks in advance! I couldn’t be more excited about these switches. Putting them in every location in my home!

2 Likes

I’m going to echo a similar sentiment as a few other members. I’m excited for the switches to be released and am fully understanding of setbacks (especially ones out of your control) but I would appreciate some place to check or sign up for updates on progress, similar to how crowdfunded projects provide timely updates on project status and estimated shipping dates.

While I see the excellent feedback/updates from founders in these forums, I don’t always have the time to search through multiple threads/comments for tidbits of information. I was surprised to see a pushed back release estimate on the website while not having received anything by email despite preordering several months ago.

2 Likes

They got the UL. I have 30 on order. 18731

July 08, 2022: UL has finally given us the green-light that everything has passed their certifications (still waiting on the official report, but this is enough to start production) and we are now waiting a production date and factory inspection. We should know an official date next week (week of the 11th) and I will keep everyone informed as I know more. Great news!

1 Like

@MorganM, @raph, @Artfle, @stevenjev, et. al:

I’m super sorry about dropping the ball on emails. I have been meaning to send one out with updates and even had Courtney send me the list last week. Admittedly, I knew better based on the last pre-order that I needed to get emails out for status updates. I’ve been scrambling on some other projects and screwed this one up and for that I apologize.

I will send an email today or tomorrow recapping and then put it in my calendar to send out weekly emails, you have my word.

Here’s where we’re at.

We now have a production scheduled for August 5. They had to arrange a time for UL to come out to factory inspect the production line and they weren’t available until then due to a backlog.

Production SHOULD (I emphasize should bc there are a ton of variables, most of which are out of my control) last about a month (I was initially told 15 days, but I think they’re being conservative) to get the first batch out (approximately 8k units). Typically, we could just do the entire batch, but there were some backorders on parts, so they are splitting production. The remaining larger batch should be completed the first couple weeks of September.

Of the first batch, we are shipping them via air. I would say it usually takes about a week to clear customs and get checked in. Then it’s just a matter of how fast USPS ships and how close you are to New Jersey (where we’re shipping out of).

So, my best guess is the first week of September for delivery.

I know there are many of you with builds that are relying on timelines, and I wish I could give specific dates, but as I mentioned a lot of this is out of my control. Hopefully as the weekly emails come through, I will have more data and I will also be posting pictures and status updates weekly here.

On the positive side, the hardest part is completed – everything is certified and there is a production date. It’s now just a matter of time.

Again, I am very sorry to not have emailed everyone and I’ve put it in my calendar to update everyone on Thursday afternoons after our weekly call with the manufacturer.

15 Likes

Thanks for the info. Without divulging your sales information, is there a way to know if we think our orders would be part of the first batch or second batch? maybe in the form of 'we think we can cover up to order # xxx in the first batch? Would be great to know! Or any additional info via email. We all understand the challenges, I always operate love to have more info then less, even if it’s ‘the best you know as of now’!

Regardless excited for Inovell and as well for us to get our hands on the product!! I too have empty slots from our reno that i’m waiting for the new switches.

1 Like