Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

I’m not familiar with SA, but it could be a high leg delta. That would give 240V. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-leg_delta

Interesting. According to that description, lighting circuits are still 120V. Instead of using line and neutral, the circuits use phases A and C. If this is the case, perhaps the whole 240V need is moot.

Only in 3 phase scenarios. If they only have 240 single then it’s still 240v

1 Like

Like @GeorgeBurdell pointed out, it could be this which does have a 120v leg off 3-phase power

1 Like

Not sure if SA is set up that way.

1 Like

I know there was some talk a while back about color paddles & issues with matching the Claro plates with Pantone, are there any updates there? Sorry if I missed this recently, I try to keep up with chat as much as possible lol

I just want to say, the whole of this project is just fantastic. The community here & Inovelli coming together to design an amazing product and Eric coordinating the 2218 items that go along with contracts, negotiations, production issues, endless emails, etc.
Proud to be a supporter and fortunate to have the resources to buy 6 of these

10 Likes

Project update: No real update other than we’re still on schedule to be completed by the end of the month. I did receive some pictures today which is exciting!

17 Likes

Looking good. I have 40 on order.

How will you be shipping to Canada? I generally prefer USPS as their duty surcharge is more reasonable.

Great question. I have to check with the new distribution center. Part of the deal with the new partner is that he’d handle logistics and with that comes the facility out of NJ.

There’s a potential we can import to Canada and ship from a warehouse there also.

Traditionally, we did use USPS for the reason you mentioned.

I’m supposed to talk to him this week and can try to lock down some answers.

7 Likes

Thank you for some of the background on shipping.

I have really enjoyed the updates. Looking good on the assembly line.

Regards,
Aaron

5 Likes

Love these pictures, thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

Hi @EricM_Inovelli,
Any update/thought on color options for the Blue series and Aux switches? Any thoughts on timing/inclusion (she’s focused on black)?

Thanks, as silly as this sounds, it’s key to my wife’s list of priorities on the lighting setup/scheme.

Thanks!
Jonathan

Project Update: We had a 5 day delay due to scheduling issues with UL (they needed to come to the site to sign off on everything), so we’re looking to complete everything on September 10th. The good news is that all production will be finished then so there will be no “batches”.

Here are some pics and videos that I just received today.

NOTE: I’m not entirely sure what each is, but the important thing is that I see our switches being made lol

Videos

In the first video, they are flashing the firmware onto the device:

In the second video, they are testing the power board:

In the third and fourth video, they are assembling the units:

7 Likes

Great question and I totally get your wife’s perspective – I’m an aesthetics guy myself :slight_smile:

For color options, we should be introducing them in Q4 some time. It’s surprisingly harder than I thought to get the right shade that matches Lutron Claro wall-plates. I’m not sure if this specific manufacturer has ever done this type of work before, but they are having some issues. However, I was told we’d be getting a new round of samples after the production is finished for these switches.

The options that we will have are:

• White
  • Almond
  • Light Almond
  • Black
  • Brown
  • Grey
  • Red

And potentially Ivory.

5 Likes

Hi Eric! I’d like to order more of these, but I want to be sure that my home is not immediately receiving a large quantity of “past era” devices which I know is a weird thing to think about considering these are still on the production line right now.

With the thread/matter standard rapidly becoming the hot topic in the space, and with the chips in the first blue series being incapable of OTA updates, I was hoping you might be able to speak a bit about expected timeline for the chip to be replaced with the OTA capable version. I’d like to make sure I order my second batch only after that capability becomes available. (I’d even consider preordering the new chip version separately, if that’s an option!)

Also on the same topic, I’ve seen you mention a few times now that the existing chips ARE upgradeable albeit via a wired connection to the switch, and that the existing chips do support OTA within the same protocol (ZigBee to ZigBee), just not cross protocol. So I have two questions on this:

1. Will you be providing guidance on that upgrade for us technically inclined DIY folks or are we going to be on our own?
  2. After completing the upgrade, would that mean we could receive future OTA thread/matter updates since the chip would now be using that protocol? Or would these first gen devices need wired upgrades for life?

I love love love the product, I just hate investing in old tech. Appreciate all your time and responses!

8 Likes

All glossy, right? When matte?

Lol you guys are persistent, I’ll give you that haha.

We don’t have any plans at this time to come out with a matte finish.

Are you just wanting white? Bc you know that, “slippery slope” saying… If I make matte white, the next guy will say, “when is matte almond coming?”

It’s so hard to know the demand for these variations and each time we have to do a minimum 1k order of the color variations. To put it in perspective, we ordered 1k of each color variation 3yrs ago when the Red Series first launched (aside from Light Almond) and we still have inventory.

2 Likes

Sorry if I asked multiple times, it’s top of my list after “are we there yet?” :joy:

I think my brain had selectively removed the negative answer.

I am looking for white OR a very light almond. We have lutrons, I think either light almond matte or the biscuit from the satin line.

Lol it’s ok, I went back and saw that it wasn’t just you so I edited my response. Don’t get me wrong, I love the passion and enthusiasm and I want to help!

I can possibly at least explore the matte for white and possibly the light almond. Is there a specific model you’d like me to explore? I see Lutron, any chance you could get me the model # so I could buy it and send it over?

But if we come out with it and someone asks, “when is matte ivory coming” I’m going to close and lock the thread lol jk (but seriously).

1 Like