Zigbee 2-1 Switch (On/Off & Dimmer) | Project New Horizon (Blue Series)

@kreene1987 good point. It’s never been an issue, but I do need to be selective on when I’m doing HA upgrades, etc., so definitely something to consider!

1 Like

To weigh in here, I’m comfortable enough with DIY options, but I couldn’t tell you what type of flashing harness I would need for this type of thing, and building it myself or self-sourcing (without guidance) is not something I’d consider feasible.

It would be hugely helpful if someone at Inovelli or in the community would be able to purchase, test/verify, and then share the product link, to something that is “known good”. I have complete faith that we will get good instructions, but the “YMMV based on which separate device you bought to flash with” is the part that always worries me about this sort of thing. Being able to guarantee I’m using the same steps that someone else has used would go a long way in getting me confident in the process, personally.

When the time comes, I will certainly also wonder whether it makes sense to just not install my switch until after I’ve flashed it, rather than installing it in my wall, powering down, flashing, restoring power, etc. But that conversation can wait until I have my switches in hand :slight_smile:

Thanks again for your updates and your work to bring these to us. Very exciting that we’re nearing the end of the initial timeline here!

4 Likes

I am sure I am going to be roasted for asking, but…is this thread the best place to look for updates on when they will be shipping?

Perfectly logical question. Pretty much, yes. Although, if you have pre-ordered, Eric has promised to send the pre-orderees regular updates via e-mail.

1 Like

Incredibly pleased to stumble upon this product in the last few days as I’m putting the final touches on the home automation plan for our remodel/build. The updates and transparent approach are greatly appreciated!

Having skimmed the thread, has an updated shipping estimate, post-distribution, been shared? Would be a USA based client. Our electrician wraps up behind the walls this week, and switch install/finish work would be taking place mid to late October. Trying to gauge if this is a viable option, or if I should give them the green light on dumb switches that we’ll replace down the line.

Thanks in advance!

Matte Biscuit. Pretty please

The email I received for my pre-order, estimates production to be completed by Sept.10 2022, subject to Covid, weather, etc. Not sure when shipping would start and given the many things Eric & Co. are working on, I’ll leave it to them for an answer

1 Like

This looks to be the latest.

Sept 10 finish plus air ship plus distribution/shipping, I’d say end of Sept delivery would be reasonable.

1 Like

The longest part is clearing customs and the postal service delivery.

2 Likes

Yeah, best guess is end of Sept assuming everything goes smooth. We’ve been dinged in the past by customs which held up the order for a month (not trying to jinx us, it’s totally random and out of our control). We forgot to put, “Made in China” on the product box. Crazy because we had it on the actual product, the box carton and the pallet, but they also wanted it on the product box (it had cleared customs at least 20x before they caught this).

Anyway, I will continue to let you guys know when I know, but the good news is production is still scheduled to be completed on the 10th and is moving along smoothly.

We’re also placing another order for additional inventory (you guys always do this to me lol – I think I order enough and we sell out).

Yeah, sorry for not answering questions, it’s been hard to keep up lol. I don’t mean to skip over them, I promise – so thanks for tagging me again!

Regarding when new chips are available, right now we are looking at the MG24 and per @bbradley and @zcorneli.iit’s recommendation, we are also looking into Nordic’s line (specifically the NRF52). I don’t have a specific date on when these will be available. I was anticipating the next batch of switches to be MG24 or Nordic since we ordered a ton of inventory for this first batch, but we are now 80% sold out and I’m scrambling to order another large batch, so I don’t think we’ll have the time to modify the firmware to the new chipsets.

What I’m anticipating is Q1 of 2023 for the release of the MG24 or Nordic. This will give us enough time to work on the firmware and re-certify. Plus we’ll have a better idea of where Matter is headed by then.

The first step was seeing if these had the demand that the Red Series had and dang, you guys blew my expectations out of the water haha. Now, it’s just a matter of catching up to the demand and then modifying the firmware.

Regarding future updates after the initial flash, yes, there will be OTA updates available. How it should work (again, Matter is also very fluid right now so I’m passing on the latest knowledge given to me by SiLabs) is that once you update via the hardwire from Zigbee to Matter, you won’t have to use the harness anymore and can then just do OTA updates of Matter to Matter.

Now, I will say that if Matter is important to you, I would hold out until the MG24 is released as it will have more memory. The MG21 should have enough and it’s hard to think of any new updates we could possibly give to these switches, but you never know. I just think we’ll be in a similar spot we were with our Red Series Dimmers where the MCU was completely full and we would have to upgrade to the 700/800 Series chip to put more features on it. So anyone who has the 500 Series wouldn’t be able to benefit from any new changes.

Hope this clears it up?

Interesting. If you want to PM me the wiring setup (or if you wrote a ticket, let me know and I can look it up that way), I can try to replicate it on my end with the Blue Series?

Nice, I’ll send over the talent release form shortly.

LOL – yeah who wants to do that… haha.

Yeah, I’m certainly happy to do that. In fact, we’re tossing around the idea of a trade-in program where if you want the MG24 version, we can swap it out for a slight cost.

My reasoning is that Matter likely won’t be as important to everyone, so the MG21’s will be just fine for most people. The power users who want to keep updating to the latest and greatest will be happy to have the MG24 and we can resell the MG21’s as refurbs with the upgraded Matter firmware.

But, yes, definitely we can put together a program. That would be my preference anyway so that we’re not getting a ton of bricked switches back.

That’s a great idea – you’re sensing my nervousness and I appreciate it :slight_smile:

Oh yeah, thanks for the reminder. This is from the checklist we gave the manufacturer for everything we wanted – this was their response to the 120/240V compatibility:

I’m not entirely sure what that means from an engineering standpoint, but I remember them really hammering home to us that it just wasn’t a good idea to have 120/240V compatibility and, instead, create a separate version (which was kind of pointless to us given USA/Canada is 120V). Sucks, bc we try to fit all compatibility into one switch, but sometimes that’s just too difficult and tradeoffs need to be made.

My guess is the reason Jasco and others who are 240V compatible is bc they use TRIAC, but I could be wrong.

My understanding of this is that once you update, it will only work as Matter (no longer Zigbee), but I’ll have @EricM_Inovelli confirm this one.

Yes, this is my understanding too and what we’ve been told by SiLabs.

Yeah, I agree – we will definitely post a step-by-step tutorial along with options for you to do it yourself (or even mail it back to us to do for you). I can’t stress enough how much I want this to be as smooth as possible for everyone.

It’s giving me nightmares and flashbacks of when we first came out with a Z-Wave switch back in 2017 and the manufacturer screwed up something in the firmware where the switch would just lock up randomly (I’m starting to think it was actually an S2 issue w/some hubs, but we could never prove it). Anyway, the only way to fix this issue was to lend out Z-Sticks and/or have ppl ship the switches back in for us to fix. I’m not exaggerating when I say we lost at least $10-15k worth of shipping, Z-Sticks, etc and it was an overall logistical nightmare. Well worth it to keep the brand name and reputation in tact, but I’d love to avoid this, especially since this is a voluntary firmware upgrade.

Thanks! Yeah, I’m really pumped about these. I’ll finally be buying a house in the winter and plan on putting all Blue Series in!

Yes, my best guess would be that you’d be safe by mid-October, but there are things that our out of our hands such as customs, getting slotted on an air-shipment, and then USPS shenanigans (they’ve been known to lose a package or two).

I do plan to keep sending weekly updates, so keep an eye on your email and this thread for updates!

7 Likes

These look pretty standard in size. I would assume a set of male to female dupont wires will work just fine

1 Like

Project Update: We have received confirmation that all 2-1’s and Aux switches have finished production and they are currently being scheduled for shipment! More to come as I’m just getting back from a much needed vacation to finish the summer.

As the switches are now finished, normal pricing will commence on Friday, September 9th, 2022.

In addition, we will be launching our new site tomorrow, which may cause a brief outage as we switch servers. We’re excited for the new site as it is much easier to update on our side, is less expensive, and looks 100x better.

This is an exciting September to say the least!

17 Likes

That’s great news! Just wanted to say thank you for the communication throughout the process. I’m excited to get these in the house and see how much I can upset the wife as I get everything set up and experiment with new automations.

2 Likes

What does “normal pricing” mean?

Just means that the prices on the site now are pre-order pricing, whereas the new pricing is what the switches will be moving forward.

2-1
Single: $50
10-Pk: $450

Aux
Single: $25
10-Pk: $225

1 Like

Quick question on the AUX switches? Do they support dimming? and do they also have an LED light?

If no to these are there plans on making a version with both options. would love them to match the blue series. Or can the blue series be joined together and sync led bar and also still dim in a 3-way / 4-way?

They do support dimming when the Blue or Red series are enabled for momentary 3 way. The Blue series also responds to multi taps! The aux switch does not have a light. I believe it was too difficult without smarts circuitry installed in switch.

Yes you can bind multiple blue series together.

1 Like

So exciting! The new build is just about ready for switches and so happy to be getting these for all the home automation. Guess we see how it does with 100+ switches when all is said and done. Hopefully the family enjoys the tinkering time it will take to get everything the way I want it. Chasing blue LED lights that go down for rain, ones that go up for sprinklers etc…

Glad I found these switches vs my previous route with the Legrand Adorne line. Pricing and features for these are well beyond with the Inovelli line!

3 Likes

It looks like the normal pricing is live a day early. Was this intended? Hoping to get an order in today ahead of the price bump :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, apparently with the new site, you don’t ship to Canada any more?

Untitled