Zigbee Button Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Walt

Sadly your 2 or 3, plus my 5 (if I wasn’t moving to a house with no ceiling fans in a month) do not a bulk order make. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I get it, but 200/300 of us? Do a Kickstarter and see where it goes!

I would absolutely buy an LZW36-style switch/controller to go with the new Canopy modules.
This is the only reason I want the Walt controller anyway…

Add in my thumbs-down for the latest rendering as well… It doesn’t look like an Inovelli product.

2 Likes

Bring back Project Hurricane! Call it Project Typhoon, or Hurricane 2.0…

Hi @Eric_Inovelli, Would it be possible to have 8 (evenly spaced) LEDs down each side, then divide them into 4 groups of 2 using something like that mask you proposed (though it would be symmetric, 4 groups on both sides). If we choose to use a double height button somewhere, we could either accept a darker space between the 2nd & 3rd LEDs, or we could choose to cut out that piece of the mask.
The center LEDs would probably need to be lined up with the lower LED in each group, and only the lower LED would be used when using horizontal buttons.
Might even look OK with full height buttons. It could look (and function) like a dual version of all your other switches. (The paradigm shift with the LZW36 always bothered me slightly - from a rocker with on & off, hold to dim, to separate dim rocker & a toggle on/off button).

Separately, I don’t see a config button. Would it be possible to make the little button at the bottom “dual function” - pull it out for the air gap, push it in for config functionality?

1 Like

Alright everyone – message heard loud and clear. Not pleased with the vertical design. Truth is, I am not either and I’ve tried to push the LED Bar design, but it’s simply not possible.

I’ve had to back up and think about what this product was actually meant to achieve and it was never really meant to be a light switch first, but rather a button controller. Yes, it has the ability to Dim, but that was a bonus that was added in case people preferred the flat front design instead of the current Decora paddle design.

Having discussions like this where everyone is involved is a double-edged sword. On one hand, it helps us create the best products we can and it’s the backbone of the company – on the other hand, we can get distracted from the original scope and try to fit every idea into the design and that’s exactly what has happened here.

For those that are saying this is not Inovelli’s best design and it doesn’t match the rest of our portfolio must have not been around 4 years ago when we first tried to launch this product as it’s the same exact design we had before, but now you have the ability to configure a few different options:

Design from 2020:

Project Link: Z-Wave 5-Button Scene Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Limitless

Design from 2023:

I think we all got wrapped up in the concept @Xero came up with (me included – it’s a beautiful design). I also maybe failed to let you guys know this is a B2B project and they don’t care about the vertical design (in fact, their words were, “we have no need for that since we aren’t planning on using this as a light switch”) so I had to draw the line somewhere once we exhausted our options to achieve this design and I thought the alternate proposed was a decent proposal from the manufacturer. Again, not as pretty as what I’d hoped, but still solved for what we were trying to accomplish which was to have something be able to work with the Fan/Light Canopy Module and somewhat resemble the LZW36.

So, here’s what I’m going to propose:

Great idea @stephen.brown2! We will create a dual switch (we’ve been wanting to get this off the ground, but it was behind a few other projects in terms of prioritization) where you’ll be able to control two loads or use it as a remote to control the canopy module.

We can design it exactly like the mockup we all wanted (me included). We won’t be limited by the amount of LED’s on the side either as that was another roadblock to this design:

There were only two LED’s per bar, so it wouldn’t even give it the full effect we wanted. Now, if we create a dedicated switch, we could put 8 LED’s on the side (rather than the 4 that are in this button controller).

So, again, I appreciate the passion behind wanting the best product and because of this, I was able to run it by our COO and pitch the idea of moving the dual switch forward.

But as for this project, I believe we need to all remember what it started out as – a button controller, not the LZW36. Again, I know I thought we could do it and I wanted it to replace the LZW36, but we simply could not fit it into the current button design.

However, given we don’t have the capital to create this right now, we will have to go down the crowdfunding path to accelerate this.

Thanks again for all the back and forth, while it’s tough to read sometimes and I feel like everyone is taking direct pot-shots at me (I don’t think you are, but it’s how I feel sometimes bc these switches are my passion as well), I know you guys are doing it because you want the best, which is what we stand for.

Thoughts?

10 Likes

Where do I sign up to throw my money at you? :laughing:

4 Likes

Honestly, I think that all the designs from 2023 are perfectly fine and usable as both a “light switch” and scene controller. The last two designs are what I was referencing when I said

Which would totally fulfill the “button controller” need this project is trying to achieve:

and we can continue waiting for a dedicated “dual (fan+light) switch”.

In summary, I am in favor of the “Designs from 2023”, but NOT the alternative suggested

2 Likes

3 Likes

The 8-Button design shown was a requirement from the B2B order, so I can’t do anything to modify it. As for the light bar down the side, we’ve asked them about this and they’ve said it’s not possible if we want to fulfill the other requirement of backlighting behind the paddles.

The other issue with the LED Bar look is that while it looks good, operationally it wouldn’t be that effective and wouldn’t match the current lineup where the LED Bar shows the % dim level. In other words, there are only 4 LED’s on each side. If we divide the switch in two, that’s only two LED’s per bar. We wouldn’t be able to show the correct fan speed and we definitely couldn’t show the correct dim level.

Does that make sense?

2 Likes

So you could do this, yes?
ae76261b39d6203123d236ec2b4e44a374e3d3e8-2

Correct.

1 Like

That’s what I was talking about. I didn’t like the light bars taking up only half the button, top justified.

This is also acceptable for the button controller use case, even if the B2B doesn’t want it. :slight_smile:
ae76261b39d6203123d236ec2b4e44a374e3d3e8-2

I will help crowdfund the dual switch separate from this button controller. :moneybag:

2 Likes

I def like the larger, more centered bottoms better than the small, top justified buttons.

It also looks more “Inovelli-like”.

1 Like

Given the 8-LED limitation, we could get creative with displaying the dim level using the brightness of the LEDs maybe?

For a single button, the Button LED matches the brightness of the output, so 100% brightness = LED @ 100%, 50% bright = LED @ 50%, 0% bright = LED @ 0%, etc.

For a double vertical button, we could perhaps emulate a “bar” by dividing the LEDs in two, so:

• 100% brightness
    • Top LED @ 100%
    • Bottom LED @ 100%
  • 75% brightness
    • Top LED @ 50%
    • Bottom LED @ 100%
  • 50% brightness
    • Top LED @ 0% (Off)
    • Bottom LED @ 100%
  • 25% brightness
    • Top LED @ 0% (Off)
    • Bottom LED @ 50%
  • 0% brightness (Off)
    • Top LED @ 0% (Off)
    • Bottom LED @ 0% (Off)

And of course fill in the rest with further brightness levels.

If that’s too complicated, maybe only one LED per button regardless of size.
ae76261b39d6203123d236ec2b4e44a374e3d3e8-3 (along with the rest)

1 Like

Oh my bad, now I see what you’re saying. Yeah, I should’ve taken the time to mockup a more realistic version of the vertical buttons. I just copy/pasted what the manufacturer mocked up for us. Today is when I took the time to make it look more realistic :slight_smile:

So, it won’t look like this:

But it will look like this (center justified):

Still not as cool as @Xero’s but it was the compromise I had to make at this stage. I think creating a dedicated switch to match Xero’s design will do it better justice.

4 Likes

Yeah I like the single LED better honestly. Looks cleaner and shows that this is the dedicated button for turning on/off the Fan or Light.

We can certainly implement your dim suggestion. I think that’s what we were going to do with the full LED bar concept, but it just wouldn’t look as good as the current lineup of switches due to the 2 LED limitation. But it gets semi-close.

I was thinking something like this could be an alternative solution as well:

Let’s say for example the top vertical button controls the light.

• Press the top left vertical paddle one time to turn it on and once to turn it off
  • Then we could use the 4 right LED’s to simulate the LED Bar as follows:
    • Bottom LED = 25%
    • Bottom Middle LED = 50%
    • Top Middle LED = 75%
    • Top LED = 100%
  • You’d use the top two right buttons to dim up and down, but the full 4 buttons would show the dim level (or fan speed)

So, like this:

25%

50%

75%

100%

I think the LED’s on the right could light up as your dimming and then it would timeout after x seconds and go back to a standard blue.

Then when you did the fan speed, they could light up a different color and use the scaling effect you outlined to show Low, Medium, High.

6 Likes

Also ingenious! I had forgotten about the temporary use of the LEDs as indicators.

1 Like

I love this idea and fully support it. I like the look of the vertical buttons only using one set of the led, the ones under it could then be turned of when using this configuration, same for other buttons that might cover leds. so tuning off the set of leds would help avoid light bleed from them.

The 2023 designs are what I have been hoping for, with the exception of the last one, but solved with the recent design posted to use only the one set on the vertical buttons.

Super excited for this. and ready to help crowed fund the dual switch as well when that come around.

1 Like

All I gotta say is…

don’t scare us like that, bro!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: