Zigbee Button Controller + Dimmer Switch | Project Walt

Project Update:

We received CEDIA samples and they look awesome! Really good 3D print.

Just a backstory real quick – the B2B company that we work with wanted these for CEDIA so they could show them off and while we couldn’t get tooling done on time, we got it pretty close via a 3D print and the firmware on the devices are very basic, so keep that in mind with the videos below. Once we get back from CEDIA (Sept 5-7), we should be finalizing tooling and onto firmware development (the real beast).

But I want to say I’m super proud of the hardware team on this one – they managed to pull off the hardest project (from a hardware standpoint) that I’ve ever worked on.

As you may know, we had a different manufacturer working on this initially and they couldn’t figure out how to meet all the requirements so we transitioned back to our main one and put them under a strict timeline and they delivered.

Not only that, but initially we were told that the 8-Button design wouldn’t allow for etching due to light leakage and other factors, but they managed to get it to work. In addition, we had a last minute request from the B2B partner (bc why not?) to get it so the text on the switch could be left-justified instead of center justified so that more words could be added to the paddle.

So, it’s my pleasure to share this bc I’m really excited for it.

Pics
Note: Some of the laser etching is off and the buttons look a little off, but in person it looks much better. I didn’t take the pics as they were sent straight to the B2B client:

Videos

Again, this is basic firmware – in the final switch, the LED indicators will be able to light up and be a different color than the words if you want.

11 Likes

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

Per the Project vernacular discussion, and the initial specs listed, is this a dimmer only, or can it switch loads on and off as well?

Those new URC keypads look great! :wink:

A lot will depend on how well this works, but the example on the bottom right with a shade and light control is :fire:. I have wifi controlled shades in each room and right now have automations for double pressing to move up and down the shades, but it’s a bit awkward and also non-obvious to anyone but us.

I would also really like some scene buttons in our living room.

Have to say, I’d probably replace about a half dozen or more of our regular 2-1 switches with these if they worked right.

It does seem like I would lose the ability to really see the brightness of the lights reflected on the LEDs, since there would be a single led on the light button, but I think I could be ok with that.

I was on the fence about the need for these at my home but was going to get one or 2, Now I want several. Seeing the photos and getting ideas, I am now drooling with excitement to get these. And now I want like 6. LOL - When is preorder planned? or did I miss it.

1 Like

It looks great and I can see a lot of use cases for these at my house.

I just hope if laser etching is going to be available in the final product that it will be more refined, thinner lines and the labels positioned more towards the upper left corner of the button for a more polished, refined look. Something more in line with the style used in the Lutron RadioRA3 line of products.

Also, I noticed a delay of almost one second between the button click and the LED responding in some cases. I hope these delays can be configurable for those not needing multi taps.

Put two or more of these side by side on a wall, with the bold text and icons and it may star looking too bulky.

I know… I’m really picky when it comes to user experience :roll_eyes:

Anyway… my two cents.
Congrats and looking forward to release date.