Zigbee Fan Canopy Module | Project Cheryl

If it’s the 2-button switch you’re looking for, Project Walt is what you want to be following. It will be capable of a 2-button configuration. And if you wanted to bind it to this canopy module to essentially build your own LZW36, it should be possible.

I don’t believe I have ever seen a fan that has control of the ceiling fan direction from a remote-controllable module.

They either have generic modules like this one with no speed control and a hard switch on the side, or they have an internal remote module that has integrated circuitry for reversing via the remote. I don’t believe the wiring from the module would allow for direction control in either scenario.

My DC fan has a canopy and remote allows for reverse direction. The Minka one linked above does allow reverse with a fully functioning remote but not sure how it works.

Please let me know if you do!

Im wanting the lzw36 because of the 6 buttons it has and 2 separate notification strips.

Project Walt

There’s a 6 button configuration possible with separate notification strips. Also a partner who’s stepped up to offer engraving for the buttons.

1 Like

I’m really excited and at the same time a bit worried about the marriage between Project Walt and Project Cheryl (this one).

I’m one of those who felt in love with the LZW36 switch for different reasons including: product design.
For me it is not enough to provide a functionality, how you delivery it makes all the difference, which brings the question:

Which of the suggested button layout (from your screenshot), when combined with Project Cheryl would replace the LZW36 offer?

The LZW36 looks just right, it is the perfect design. Both buttons are of the same size because both devices are equally important. The way you dim the lights is consistent with the way you change the fan speed. The engraved icons are the perfect size.

Let’s assume for now we can get the small icons similar to the LZW36 (they are elegant and help the switch blend in with Lutron Pico remotes). Then we are left with the layout.

The large two buttons from the picture (first design) looks like a good candidate but it lacks the dimmer and speed buttons.

The fifth design (two sets of on-off and up and down arrows) offers the total number of buttons needed but the design looks a little too busy for the purpose.

Please keep in mind I’m talking about user experience, some kid walking into my house and figuring out how to turn on the fan and set it to the right speed. Nobody should have to ask or think twice before figuring out how to use a light switch.

I’m super excited about both projects and I know they are meant to be two distinct products however, I can see how easy it is for inovelli to miss the opportunity to come out with a bundle that is equal or superior to the LZW36 switch, as far as design and user experience goes - I know that internally they are superior products and combined they will offer more functionality and stability that the LZW36 but the point I’m trying to make here is user experience and usability.

Agree - I’m trying to get a replica of the fan/light paddle with the toggle buttons on the left side. I imagine this as a separate paddle offering or something.

But if it’s not possible, then I would suggest the 6 button (horizontal 21 and two 11 side by side). So you’ll have the light at the top, then two buttons below it to dim the light up/down, then same situation below it with the fan.

I’m with you tho, I really liked the style of the LZW36 and will try my best to replicate it.

It is great to know that you are trying to match the existing design.
Worst case I think I could live with something like this. I still think it is too busy though.
If he arrows were a bit smaller it would look more clean but still… too much going on.

Fan Light Switch Paddle v4

I would love to press the arrows up and down to toggle between the 3 speeds and have the LED bar switching colors to indicate the selected speed, e.g.: yellow (L), orange (M), red (H). Anyway… there is another thread for this device, I don’t mean to hijack this one to talk about it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

completely different device, but as far as I can tell, there’s only one smart device that controls fans at the switch level. For new construction and normal fans, the canopy is the most universal device. But I’ve got a high mounted fan with a wired wall mount switch and no good access to the canopy. I’m using the enbrighten fan switch but it lacks some of the functionality I know Inovelli would bring to it.

1 Like

For those saying this will work with blue 2-1, would the blue 2-1 have to be on a separate load since it isn’t rated for fans? Or would it have to be paired with project zephyr?

1 Like

You wouldn’t have any load attached to it if paired to the canopy module.

Wouldn’t physical switch (blue 2-1, etc) still have the load to the fan attached to it?

No. If your hot and neutral originate in the switch box, you will simply send the hot and neutral to the fan box to be connected to the module. That will not go through the switch.

At the switch box, you’ll use the same hot and neutral to power the switch with no load attached.

3 Likes

So essentially would just connect the load/hot both into the line on the switch to provide constant power? Sorry for the dumb questions

Correct assuming line goes to the switch first.

1 Like

Actually, even if it were wired as a switch loop, you would be able to rewire to send both hot and neutral to the switch since you wouldn’t need the return switched hot back to the fan canopy…problem solved!

Correct - I was just stating that if the line goes to the switch first then you’d rewire and send line to the canopy via the “old” load wire.

I realize I’m super late to the party here, but I actually disagree here. Most of the ceiling fan canopy units I’ve installed have separate “line neutral” and “load neutral” wires, which makes them easier to physically install. Yes, you could accomplish the same thing by splicing all the neutrals together, but given short wire lengths, and the need to hold up a heavy ceiling fan while doing all of this, having two separate neutrals tends to make the job a bit easier. Plus then there’s a clear separation between “here are all the wires that go upstream to the house wiring” and “here are all the wires that go to the fan”.

You should not be supporting or holding a fan up with the wires while you’re trying to finish up wiring. Most fans provide a S hook to hang on the canopy or you can install it in it then finish wiring. Some even fans even have a built in hook for this exact reason. Otherwise have the fan unit rest on top of the ladder.

Typically in a new fan install there’s enough wire length to support up to X amount of down rod. It’d be wise for folks not to cut it too short. Then you’d have enough length to bring around all wires to connect anywhere within the canopy.

3 Likes