ZigBee Fan Switch | Project Zephyr (Blue Series)

That doesn’t mean it will fit. It’s the same manufacturer, but the fan is deeper than the 2-in-1. Any of the “paddles” will fit, but the Air-Gap lever/prong is not the same.

BETA unit may not be final production specs. :man_shrugging:t2:

This is the million dollar question… literally.

When we first started these, they built them on the MG21 as we started this project the same time as the 2-1 Switch. This is also the chip that all the beta firmware was built on and the price was negotiated to.

That said, we’re trying to use this Blue Series 2-1 mess-up as a bargaining chip to get them to swap in the MG24. I’m hoping they will honor this request. What I don’t know, however, is if the entire firmware needs to be rewritten. If that’s the case, that would really stink.

More to come.

This is an excellent point/observation.

I just asked them and they confirmed that the paddles would be interchangeable, but this picture certainly shows that it isn’t.

Let me triple-check.

4 Likes

Rewritten: probably not. At most I’d expect some find/replace and perhaps a few parts that need more substantive changes. The chips look like they’re mostly the same.

The firmware will definitely need to be retested, though, as any validation performed on the older hardware would no longer be valid.

I agree. It’s extremely likely that most of the firmware code will carry over. It will need to be re-compiled and possibly a few find/replace modifications as @mbbush mentioned. But not a complete rewrite.

I’m currently building a new home and just wanted to add an observation to this project.

It is much harder than you would think to find a fan that this (or any other wall switch) would support. Nearly all newer/modern fans only support being controlled with the included remote and won’t even work with two dumb switches (fan + light). Older fans would have the remote as a module housed in the canopy you could simply bypass but most newer fans have the receiver integrated into the fan so it can’t be bypassed. Additionally DC motor fans are becoming much more common and those can’t be controlled by a ‘dimmer’ wall switch.

I managed to find a fan with pull chains (should work with this or any other wall control) but also supports WiFi via Bond. If I can’t get a wall switch to work I’ll be able to wire the fan always on (without any switch) and control via home assistant and a Blue switch in Smart-Bulb mode.

They’ll work with dumb switches, but if you turn them off at the switches, the remote won’t work. Is that what you mean?

1 Like

In many cases that’s not even the case. Obviously a switch will kill the power but many of the new fans don’t have separate lines for the light and power and when you restore power the light turns on even if it was previously off. Some have a separate fan & light wire but the fan wire has to be always on for either the light or fan to work and don’t support light dimming or speed control at the wall switch.

There are also a number of fans available with color temperature selectable LEDs - based on reviews many of those will change color temperature ever time you turn them on if they are connected to a switch.

2 Likes

I have this with a Litfad fan. What a ridiculous design decision; there’s a color control on the remote, why on earth wouldn’t they let you set the color temp manually and then leave it there? Fortunately my 8yo isn’t picky about it and as long as you don’t turn it off and on repeatedly you don’t notice it too much. And yes, the DC control means there’s no way to integrate it with any smart components, except with a device that’ll mimic the remote’s RF signals.

Just to note, these fan switches support other type of motor loads outside of the ceiling fan range.

I have installed a fan switch where I previously had two toggles for fan and lights. I recently upgraded to a dc fan and i repurposed the second gang as a scene controller using a blue switch. The fan switch is set to full speed with local control turned off. I adjust speed as light from remote.

Haiku and Modern Forms could be controlled by a hub like Home Assistant if you really want to go DC. You could use this switch as a scene controller for one or more of those without needing a device like Bond. My home is wired for separate switches and have been looking for a switch I can add remote/automation to my existing fans (which are less than a year old). This is the only product that can do it and doesn’t use wifi. Plus, it’ll match my light switches. There are ton of ugly fan controls out there.

1 Like

Hey guys – just wanted to give an update as I know I wanted to get pre-orders up in December. We are trying to get the MG24 in the switch as opposed to the MG21, which was currently developed.

The manufacturer is claiming it will come with a price increase (of course), so we’re going back and forth with them on it because we believe the increase is too high.

For the sake of an argument, if this meant we had to increase the cost of the switch by $2.50, I’m assuming it wouldn’t be a huge deal as we’d gain the ability to OTA down the road? Just wanted to check prior to making any calls.

$2.50 isn’t the increase they’re charging for the record, but when you add in the costs of the increased tariff (25% x new cost is higher than 25% x original cost) and the added engineering fees, it comes out to about $2.50.

4 Likes

2.50 is not a problem for me if it’s going to be a better switch.

1 Like

I agree, $2.50 is a small ask for OTA upgrade capabilities to Thread. Is this the only proposed change?

1 Like

$2.50 - no problem here - make it so!

2 Likes

Sounds alright!

1 Like

Make it so

The only proposed hardware change, yes. We have a few software changes that we want to implement and/or are perfecting (Smart Fan Mode, Exhaust Fan Timer, etc).

I take it back, there is another hardware change, but it’s more of a tooling change as there have been reports of the ground wire poking through and disrupting the paddle on the 2-1 which would also apply to the Fan switch as they share the same core paddle design (the air-gap is longer, but that’s it). But this is not affecting the per unit cost as it’s a small tooling charge.

4 Likes

$2.50 is good for me, it will be nice to have switches that match.

2 Likes

Agree. It’s with it. Sign me up!