Zigbee / Matter Motion Switch | Project Linus (Blue Series)

I mean definitely reach out to Inovelli to ensure you get your pledge back.

Yeah you should be able to cancel through Indiegogo. Let me know if you have any issues! Iā€™m happy to help :slight_smile:

If anyone has a SlickDeals account, I bet that would push us over the goal in less than 24hrs!

I donā€™t know if youā€™re allowed to post Indiegogo deals so check first, but if so, we usually see a ton of volume from them.

Comments are always a fun time to manage, but itā€™s worth it!

2 Likes

Will these switches have to be roughly facing the populated area of the room to see people? If the switch is on the long wall of a room in the corner, should we expect it to know the people are sitting along the same long wall halfway down the room?

Or, in an L shaped room with the switch in the small portion of the L, will it detect people around the corner?

1 Like

Hurry up! only 29 days left for the last 13% :crazy_face:

1 Like

They will see out in a cone, like most presence sensors.

Not sure how effective reflected signals will be, but I would only bank being able to detect motion in a conical fashion. Iā€™m not sure how wide the cone will be though.

1 Like

This might be a bit hard at 24ghz. It wonā€™t penetrate through walls very well (or at all).

1 Like

I was afraid of that. Thinking of how my rooms are laid out, Iā€™m not sure how well these will work. I probably need separate presence sensors that can be mounted away from the light switches.

2 Likes

Iā€™m sure if you installed these in every single switch in the house, you may still need a couple standalone presence sensors to fill in some gaps. But instead of needing 30+ sensors scattered around the house, you may only need 5 or 6.

Iā€™m thinking with the layout of my storage room and my gym these will be great for turning the light on, but Iā€™ll need a supplement to keep them on because theyā€™re both L shaped rooms. My other thought though is that these rooms are both highly accessible for wiring and it wouldnā€™t be much to wire in a second switch, bind it to the first and create a 3-way type setup and position the second one in an area that it will work to keep the lights on.

2 Likes

Yeah, Iā€™m thinking particularly of a bedroom shaped like this:

And a family room like this:

In each case, the red dots represent light switches, and the boxes in the room represent furniture (bed, desk, couch, chairā€¦) Iā€™m thinking the switches wonā€™t have a view of the areas people lounge. Still, I have other rooms which would be a better fit

2 Likes

So if i am reading the hardware specs correctly, the cone of detection seems fairly focused horizontally (90-120 degrees). Does this mean it is only a 30 degree cone (directly off center)? Most light switches in larger rooms wonā€™t be pointed directly at the area where people are.

I would be in for 5 if i can get this clarified :grinning:

Often a bedroom is not a good candidate for a mmWave sensor. The last thing you want is that the lights turn on, and stay on because it detects you ā€¦ in your bed ā€¦ asleep (until the lights come on). Since the mmWave is sensitive enough to potentially even detect a heartbeat, this is a real possibility.

2 Likes

90-120 degrees is more a range of the detection field. I believe itā€™s 120 degrees up close (within 5 ft? not sure) and 90 degrees as longer distances. No sensor would ever sell at 30 degrees span :wink:

You could use rules to disable lights from triggering between periods if motion/presence is recognized.

1 Like

yes, 30 degrees would be hard to sell, thats why i am trying to understand :grinning:

My living room and kitchen (as an example) could use mmWave for presence, if the field of detection is wide enough. The wall they would be on doesnā€™t point directly to where the warm meat sacks (bodies :yum:) would be though. So knowing the field of detection at what distance is helpful/important (understand things could change since this is a still in beta stage of course).

A spec like that would be saying the detection range is 90 up to 120 degrees. Although Iā€™m curious where youā€™re finding the specs on the sensor? I donā€™t believe the exact model sensor used has been mentioned aside from it being a 24ghz sensor.

Bumping this as itā€™s a little important for us to know before considering putting money down.

Will this switch expose presence detection (mmwave sensor) as a binary sensor? So that it can be used for other automations?

Or is it solely going to turn binded lights on/off

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t even call it Alpha yet. It will probably be a while before true specs are available.

3 Likes

My expectation would be that the presence detection would be exposed similar to other mmwave standalone sensors in HA today (binary sensor like you mentioned). TBD on the specific details/capabilities though since it would need to have actual hardware/firmware in hand to know for sure.

1 Like

I found it in the faq of the campaign in the ā€œWhat is the field of vision for mmWave?ā€ section.

1 Like