Zigbee Wall Outlet | Project Jambry

Project Update: No real update here as the team just got back from Chinese New Year and are working with their suppliers on getting us a quote. I should know more in a week or so on what’s achievable or not with this based on the engineer feedback.

8 Likes

As a more realistic option, a “hard” power reboot button or tab would be nice. Having to go to the breaker box to reset devices is frustrating. In other words, some way to remove power from the device temporarily without having to fiddle with the wiring, or having to go to the circuit breaker for the whole circuit and turning the power off.

2 Likes

Yes! I have some Leviton (I think) receptacles and I’ve had to flip the break multiple times in the last month when they stop responding after I make a change to my zwave network.

I’m also in favor of that idea. Having an air-gap, similar to the switches, would be very handy

4 Likes

Well I’m down for a crap ton of these myself. I just discovered the blue 2-1 switches and they check all of my boxes and more. Fantastic product. I’ve moved all the switches in my home to these and would love to compliment them with “smart” outlets.

Feature wise, I’m a fan of the KISS theory. I’m also a project manager (of sorts) and reading this thread I can see scope creep nightmares in my future. I think the original requirements list was pretty comprehensive and the initial design is quite elegant.

That said I will add a +1 for the USB port to have as high of an output and broadest compatibility as is practical given space/heat/electrical limitations. I would love nothing more than to be able to ditch the huge and unwieldy apple power adapter for my macbook pro.

Big Pete…

You can count on me placing a big ‘ol’ pre-order with the time comes!

3 Likes

Ahem… Beta tester… Ahem…

lol…

Lol, put me down as a Z-Wave beta tester! (Though having a Zigbee repeater in every wall outlet would be super nice) :smiley:

Also, I didn’t see it mentioned, but Leviton now has a 60W USB-C outlet as well: Amazon.com
Silver Cymbal did a great review of them as always https://youtu.be/Zbq5pBaXWOc

1 Like

I have a TopGreener 60W USB A & C outlet at home. The USB C port does PD as well. So much cleaner than plug in bricks everywhere. Fingers crossed @Eric_Inovelli can wave his magic wand and get at least 60W in Project Jambry.

Ah, then you must not be familiar with Inovelli development… Generally it’s a wonder they don’t have the kitchen sink included in all of their products! :rofl:

For me, my requirements are fairly simple:

1. Independent Zigbee/Z-Wave outlet control
  2. Independent outlet power monitoring
  3. Commercial grade contacts (See https://youtu.be/kX6xnOksQTc?t=164 for a comparison between “residential” grade and “commercial” grade outlet internals. Obv. the commercial grade is more expensive, but will last a lot longer)

If Eric can nail those at a reasonable price point ($30-$50/unit), I will want to buy as many as possible to replace the most used outlets in my house.

20A would be very nice, especially since it looks like the only other individually controllable 20A outlet by ConnectSense is no longer available.

Bonuses include almost everything else listed:

• USB-C outlet (I don’t need to plug in a USB charger everywhere, and when I do I usually have a wall adapter anyways)
  • RGBW LED bar (While the LED bar is great on the switches, outlets will more often be in harder-to-see places, and far below eye level, so much less useful for notifications/dim level, etc)
  • And so on.
1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli - Another swag idea for the online store? :wink:

But seriously though, how difficult would it be to make a motion-sensing kitchen sink faucet that can display notifications, has a temperature readout, can be controlled remotely, and most importantly reports water usage back to the user’s HA platform du jour? :thinking: This is seriously an un-tapped market (pun intended)…

That’s Project Don’t Go Chasing Waterfalls. PRD isn’t quite finished yet.

1 Like

I can’t image trying to squeeze the gfci circuitry into the outlet.

No GFCI required. It can be powered by a super-capacitor, recharged by a little turning water wheel inside the housing when the faucet is running… :wink:

The buttons would also be difficult to impossible to press with two 3-prong cords connected.

2 Likes

It’s always important to learn what the competition has done and innovate. https://youtu.be/3FE-4fZX7nM

Project update – we got some quotes back and I have some great news. Price point is pretty good for what we’re getting. Here’s what we’ve settled on:

• It will utilize GaN PD technology
  • Dual smart outlets w/dual energy monitoring (each 16A)
  • 30W+ USB-C charging (this was a major upgrade from the 15W they originally sent in their specs)
  • Tamper/Wet resistant rated
  • All of the hardware requirements listed in the original post

The only thing that may change depending on PCB layout is the switched outlet compatibility. As of right now, it’s included, but here were their comments:

“Two travel terminals need to be added to the socket, which will occupy the structural space of the socket, and will be discussed in detail when designing.If there is no space for design, it is recommended to remove this feature;”

Right now it’s spec’d to work with a, “dumb” switch, an, “aux” switch and a smart switch using Zigbee Bindings (this will still be possible if we end up having to remove this feature).

Also, the USB-C unfortunately cannot be remotely controlled due to the following reason (sorry, it’s broken English):

“about smart USB-C, the current USB fast charging road chip does not enable the pin, if you want to achieve USB-C switchable, can only increase the relay control AC input to achieve, which needs to increase the cost and volume, the current volume is not enough”

Based on the price they gave us, I would assume this would come in at around $50 USD.

I’ll go through and respond to the wishlists presented above now that I have a more firm idea of what we can do.

12 Likes

Amazing!

2 Likes

I asked about this (used your exact words haha) and this was their response:

about smart USB-C, the current USB fast charging road chip does not enable the pin, if you want to achieve USB-C switchable, can only increase the relay control AC input to achieve, which needs to increase the cost and volume, the current volume is not enough

Sounds like we were able to get USB-C PD with GaN technology. Regarding the wattage, it’s coming in around 30W (which was much higher than they originally told me - 15W). It could come in actually higher than 30W as they said they’d have to test it, but they said at a minimum it would do 30W.

I tried… seems like it’s not possible with the space and also the workaround I tried that @j4cbo mentioned. It will be able to detect when something is put in it, but unfortunately won’t be able to be controlled remotely with all the other features.

Ask and we shall deliver :slight_smile: – thanks for the suggestion!

This is now officially spec’d for weather resistance (idk the IP rating, but we asked for a weather resistant rated outlet)!

Good news, we have this quoted with individual energy chips for each outlet :slight_smile:

Hmmm… maybe I should raise the price :yum: – I think we could get away with selling the Zigbee version for $50.

Done!

I’ve asked about this and they assured me they will study commercial outlets. I’ll send them some as well to make sure they are on par.

I asked about this as well and here was their response:

Now, I don’t know if that’s just them not wanting to do it or if it truly can’t be done, but they’ve been pretty honest with us, so I think he’s telling the truth.

I think this can be done via energy monitoring and an automation, right? Maybe we can just build it in locally too.

There’s overload protection if that’s what you’re referencing?

Perfect, we’ve added this! The LED Bar has physical buttons on either side that you can push to turn on/off the outlets.

It will be one strip, but each side will have buttons built into the LED strip that are individually controllable like our switches.

Just want to clarify that this will be rated for outdoor use and will have USB-C :slight_smile:

Great call-out. I think we’d plan on having the buttons flush with the rest of the outlet, so it shouldn’t interfere.

Hmmmm… tempting. My only pushback would be that I think we’re maxed out with space at the moment and also I’m not sure where the push button and LED bar would go (possibly in the middle where it says, “Class 2 65W Max”) but I’m not sure if the PCB will allow it. I’ll look into it as I do like the functionality of that outlet.

I’ll definitely notify the engineers of this concern!

@mharris1984 explained this perfectly!

Dang, that’s impressive – and their USB-A’s and their vertical! Gives me hope the horizontal USB-C will be fine.

I put a request for a quote out for Z-Wave and Thread/Matter. Idk why they didn’t include it in the initial quote, but hopefully we’ll see it this week.

You know, I didn’t anticipate watching that video in its entirety, but man did he make it interesting lol. Being the marketing guy and caring way too much about aesthetics, I would definitely only show the plug with ground down bc I think ground up just looks ugly haha. I was glad to hear from the video that it can be either way. Thanks for sharing!

It should be in there, but if not, then yes, we definitely will have this :slight_smile:

Interesting! Do you mean create an outlet that is like two outlets combined?

Mmmm… very interesting. So something like our, “air gap switch” that is on our current switches? That’s an interesting idea and I can definitely see the need for one.

For those that don’t know, the air gap allows you to pull it out and disconnect power from the load.

EDIT: Should’ve read further down – @mamber called the air gap out lol. Let me see what I can do with the manufacturer. I think this is a great idea.

I can’t tell, is this a smart outlet? Sure is priced like one lol.

My hand must have gone limp… I wasn’t able to get 60W, but was able to get 30W, which was double what they initially came back with. I’m guessing all the smarts of the switch and dual relay’s are getting in the way.

I think I got them all – the top two for sure with the third one being one I’ve requested and will only send them commercial grade samples.

Sorry I’m at the top of your price-point, but at least I’m within range lol.

Boom, nailed it for you haha!

You know what they say, “if you build it, they will come” – if anyone can pull it off it’s this community, so I’ll put it on the list bc I actually think that’s a really cool idea! Will most likely have to be a Kickstarter though haha.

Oh heck yeah lol

Fun fact, when I was a kid, I thought they were saying, “Jason Waterfalls”. I thought it was a cool name haha.

Love it, thanks for sharing! I watched the video and I think he’ll be blown away when we send him one of ours!

8 Likes

@sixo, @UngluedChalice – do you think something like this would work? I have no clue if they can do it with the PCB layout, but I can ask.

Essentially a button of some sort at the bottom left of the outlet. Either a push-in (and it would pop out) or a pull-out button to disconnect power.

That would work, but the current shape and size of your switch air gaps would work better IMHO (easier to get a fingernail under, though if it’s a push button what you showed is fine), and would match the “Inovelli look” better too.