Zwavejs2mqtt associations in HA?

I have a few 3 and 4 way switches that I need setup associations with and I’m struggling a bit. I searched around a bit, but I suspect I may be using the wrong search terms.

This tutorial has a step by step breakdown, but it’s not for z-wave JS, so I’m a bit lost.

Could use a friendly push in the right direction.

Thanks!

Those instructions are for the legacy zwave component. If you are using zwavejs2mqtt, I found that the easiest (and for now, perhaps the only) was to set up associations is by using the zwavejs2mqtt web interface

1 Like

Is that at a 4 way setup? This is my 3 way

Those instructions are for the legacy zwave component. If you are using zwavejs2mqtt, I found that the easiest (and for now, perhaps the only) was to set up associations is by using the zwavejs2mqtt web interface

I see…this is helpful. I’ll tinker around with the groups for the switches. Are there are tutorials or documentation on this? I seem to be failing at google search. Searching for zwavejs|zwavejs2mqtt groups|association seem to bring up nothing.

You can use the tutorial you linked with the knowledge that “Basic Set” is group 2 and “Switch Multi Start/Stop” is group 4 in zwavejs2mqtt. I do not have 3/4 way switches, but I associated my kitchen light strips this way. One strip can turn on/off the other strip and dim up/down as well.

1 Like

Additionally “Switch Multilevel Set” is Group 3

Thanks…I’ll try and configure it this weekend and will circle back if I can’t figure it out.

I gave this a shot this weekend and kinda got it to work, but having trouble with the dimmers. The On/Off switches work fine, but the dimmers seem to have a huge delay.

I’ll press one of the dimmers, and nothing will happen, then I’ll press it a few times, or try and press and hold and still nothing. A few moments later it seems like all the commands execute in sequence (lights turn on, off, dimmed, etc).

Not sure what I’m doing wrong. I’m setting it up as following (no other changes to any attributes):

Did you set association behavior (param 12) to 11 on the non load switch?

No I didn’t.

Where would I set that? the switches have a configuration section, but the dimmers don’t seem to have that:

Weird. I’m using zwavejs2mqtt. I have a configuration drop down. Do either of your dimmers have a configuration menu? Maybe it didn’t include properly?

Agreed, mine all have configuration menus. I’d re-interview.

Looks like that may be the issue…the other dimmers have the Configuration tab. I just selected the one that doesn’t :slight_smile:

Two questions:

1. Is there a way to quick re-initialize the switch or do I have to exclude and re-include it?
  2. Within the Configuration tab is this where I set Parameter 12 to 11 (and size 1)?

If you didnt set Parameter 12, you are likely causing an infinite loop (Dimmer 1 is forwarding commands to Dimmer 2, which is forwarding back to Dimmer 1, etc). It will saturate the zwave network and cause all sorts of delays.

If you go to Advanced → Reinterview node it should fix the missing configuration section and allow you to set the parameter without having to exclude/include

Once the config section shows up, you want to set it like this on the non-load switch:

Thanks for the tips…it all worked out and everything is working as expected!

Thanks for all the help!

Now time to figure out how to program my first bit of automation (I wanna lock down the whole house based on a certain number of downpresses)

1 Like

You can use the blueprints below to help you create scenes depending on the number of presses. I have only used the LZW31 and it works.