2021-2022 Roadmap

You can connect 2 Fan/Light combos to one canopy. You can use 2 fan/light combos, but the second switch that is not connected to canopy would have to be controlled via rules in the hub, and the led light bar would no be synced. Its something I looked into a while back and found out as I had the need for a few setups, but after some remodeling I on have the need for one setup like this and might do it or just make it a single switch setup instead.

Yeah definitely – in this case, the 2-1 switch will not require a neutral wire and will be able to operate as either a dimmer OR on/off, whereas the current Red Series only allows non-neutral for a dimmer. The aux switch will also be able to work in a non-neutral setting.

We’ve loved having you a part of the journey as well my man! Brianna told me the day she left that you were one of the people she’d miss the most lol.

3 Likes

This is awesome news. Cant wait for pre order LOL.

And yes Brianna reached out to me via PM about her departure (As i was unaware), she will be missed. But you still have a wonderful team.

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

3 Likes

Come again? You’re saying the 2-in-1 will allow operation in a 2-wire configuration (line + load, no neutral) with a non-dimmable load? How is that possible?

The switch needs to have some amount of current running through it in order to power the electronics. With a dimmable load you can get away with leaking a small amount of current through when “off”, but that’s not possible with a non-dimmable load, which must be either on or off.

The only other possible way I can think of to do this would be to leak a small current from line to the ground wire, but there are all kinds of safety/code problems with that, and I can’t imagine UL would sign off on a device that did that.

I had assumed that the 2-in-1 would work as a dimmer with or without a neutral, or as a switch with a neutral. Is that not right?

Certainly you could “fake” a non-neutral switch with a firmware option to only allow two possible levels, full and “very slow current leak”, but that’s not truly an on-off switch, and depending on what type of load is connected, this could cause some problems.

Will the 2-in-1 behave as a “true” switch when it has a neutral wire, where when off the current is completely shut off, and when on the current is passed through completely unchanged? This would be necessary to allow it to support any load type, or a mixture of load types (florescent lights, bathroom fans, motors, etc)

I’m honestly not sure, but we asked for it and they claim it’s possible, so I’m hoping they’re not pulling my leg!

Lutron currently makes one that we sent over for analysis: Difference between PD-5WS-DV and PD-5ANS-WH-A or PD-5ANS-WH-R

Here’s the listing on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-PD-5WS-DV-WH-Switch-Wireless-Lighting/dp/B01IU7VY18/

It’s weird, looks like they shut down the listing from before, so this new listing has no reviews, but this is definitely the switch we purchased.

We have it here in the office and have been using it for quite some time on a non-dimmable tube light.

I’ll have to check with @EricM_Inovelli and @Darwyn_Inovelli on this question as it’s way above my pay-grade lol

Any chance you are looking into recessed lighting? My home has all recessed led lighting ( look like can lights) No ability to simply screw in bulbs. Would love an Inovelli option here as I’ve been tempted to drop in some Hue lights but my setup is 100% zwave Red Dimmers today.

1 Like

Do you want RBGW bulbs? Any reason you can’t use a red dimmer to control the recessed LED bulbs?

1 Like

My use case that I’m trying to solve is that in my basement rec room I have 12 recessed lights controlled by a single red dimmer. I’d like to be able to split them up and dim 8 of them so my kids can watch TV and the other 4 can remain full to allow me to play pool.

Sometimes on the weekends its nice to allow them to fall asleep on the couch but that won’t happen with the lights full blast.

1 Like

Depending on how the wires are run, you could accomplish this with handful of aeotec nano dimmers, perhaps as few as two.

The best case scenario would be if the wires run like

switch --- pool light1 --- couch light1 --- other couch lights
               |
           other pool lights

Then you could put nano dimmers in the boxes of pool light1 and couch light1 (or two/a dual one in with pool light1), run the red dimmer in smart bulb mode, and use a combination of associations and scene control to get what you want.

I think fibaro makes one that can dim two channels.

Hoping the thread (or matter) switches make it into the roadmap! I would think that thread components would be widely available since Nanoleaf/Eve/Google doesn’t appear to be experiencing any shortages for thread? I see the lines above about 52 weeks for Zwave.

If there is a possibility for a beta test around these I’d be interested.

1 Like

Just found this topic, I still need to read the posts in more detail to make sure I have t missed anything but here are my initial round of questions.

I am guessing at this point all the release dates have been bumped 1 quarter? Maybe more?

Your 5 button switch, how did you come up with the button layout? I am scratching my head on the two buttons on the bottom. I am sure their is a sound reason for it, I am just struggling without seeing how the switch functions. Are they supposed to be an all on/off? Or just on or off for the selected scene?
Are the caps on the switch going to be replaceable? I think it is Insteon or maybe Control4 that you can replace theirs for caps with text on them.

You have a sensor, but I don’t see anything else on the horizon? Is this a dead catigory for you? If thread/matter takes off would you consider redoing your current one?

Have you concidered a hardwired Poe device?

There are two versions of the 5 button controller. The wired version has three buttons on top to activate scenes. The button two on the bottom are a dimmer. I believe the battery version is the same form factor for commonality except all 5 buttons activate scenes.

I believe they are going back to pure lighting. The previous sensors were all white label products.

@Eric_Inovelli can you update the road map?

4 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli The original roadmap obviously needs some adjusting with everything that has happened over the last couple of months. With the new focus primarily being on Zigbee, is there any chance of some of the additional switch options that haven’t been talked about much happening sooner?

Personally, I am ready to buy a TON of the motion switches (zwave or zigbee) and am patiently waiting for you guys to do something there. There is really no good alternative on the market. GE/Jasco’s are all there really is, but they are terrible when it comes to look/feel. I have a bunch of them in my home and they work great, but they stick out like a sore thumb when mixed with more traditional decora switches, and I can’t wait to replace them.

It would be AWESOME to get to a point where one manufacturer (other than Lutron) has a full line of switches that have a similar look feel (dimmer, toggles, fan control, scene control, motion switches, etc.)

I’m just wondering how long it might be before we get there.

1 Like

Possibly, the next couple of weeks to a month are going to be pretty big for us. I’m working on a couple of deals that could go either way, but the overall premise is this: We’re going to bring on someone (or multiple people) as a parter to help us with the operations and financial side of things. This is a big deal as, humbly, my background is pretty weak when it comes to negotiating with manufacturers and overall operations and I’m kind of tired of failing these roadmaps lol.

I’ve been semi-quiet in the forums over the past couple of weeks bc I’ve been working a few angles and trying to determine the route we want to take.

That said, I think absolutely there is room for blowing up the current roadmap and starting from scratch. I will say that the few people we are pursuing, they all recommend keeping it simple, so we’ll be doing a lot more analysis on what products we think we can get out now vs later.

I know this is vague, but I promise within a couple of weeks, I will have a lot more answers for everyone. I’m really pumped at the direction we’re heading and the much needed help (and/or partnerships) to help us succeed.

I can’t wait to share it with everyone!

16 Likes

cant-wait-excited

1 Like

How exciting!!!

Great new profile pic!

What’s the difference between the Zigbee 5 button remote vs 5 button switch?

The 5 button has a physical switch plus buttons for scene control. The Blue switch is just a paddle switch with a Zigbee radio.

1 Like

Sorry, maybe I didn’t make myself clear. I was asking the difference between these two. Or maybe I am not understanding your answer