3-way with no Neutral

I don’t think you have what the diagram shows. Can you print out the diagram and put a check mark on every junction you connect to be sure you have them correct?

Sorry, i’m not following.

Do you mean your diagram or my original diagram? Not sure what you want me to mark.

Here are some pictures if it helps:

RIGHT:

LEFT:

(extra wires from 4 gang box)

Right looks OK.

The left …

I can’t identify the specific wire from your photo (far too many wires).

Can you identify the power coming in? Are they a black and white?

Can you identify the three wire cable (black,red,white) going to the light fixture?

Please verify these are the correct colors. If these are the right colors I think I can help you.

John

1 Like

Thank you again for all your help!!

Here is a better picture:

Black, Red, White going to the light is blue circle.

Power coming in is Black & white in yellow circle (all the hot wires from the gang box are bundled together).

I’m a little confused.

Could perhaps yellow circle be the power in
and
The Blue circle be the 3 wire to the light?

John

Yes, that is correct.

OK

So:

The Black from the 3-wire cable (blue circle) connects to the neutral under the yellow wire nut. You can take it out of the “Load” terminal on the dimmer and use 2nd at the dimmer neutral to connect them.

Now the PIA connection. You will have to remove the white of 3-wire cable. That is likely in that group of white wires connected together.
Then connect the 3-wire white you just separated and connect it to the dimmer “LOAD” terminal.

You should be all set then.

1 Like

Do i still leave the neutral wire from the innoveli plugged into the neutral bundle after even after i remove the white wire?

Doesn’t the neutral have to come from the same circuit?

Do i still leave the neutral wire from the innoveli plugged into the neutral bundle after even after i remove the white wire?

Yes the white bundle still remains connected to the inovelli “neutral” terminal.

Doesn’t the neutral have to come from the same circuit?

It is. Perhaps I don’t understand your question.

1 Like

Ok great. I just wanted to make sure since i’m removing light’s white wire from the neutral bundle that i’m still good to use it for the switch’s neutral terminal.

And I leave the red wire from the light still into the LINE terminal of the switch?

Man, you’re a genius!! That worked!! (left the red plugged into line)

It’s working with both the LZW30 & the GE 46201! That is amazing, I can’t thank you enough!! There’s no danger or fire risk to wiring it this way, right?

Now i’m off to re-add it to the hub & do the associations.

I’m waiting to hear back from @EricM_Inovelli on that one: [HOW-TO] Using the Z-Wave Association Tool in SmartThings

@JohnRob Quick side note: does this mean that I now have a neutral on that right side that i can safely draw power from for an outlet for a tablet ? (i read that it’s not safe to wire a neutral from an outlet to a ground)

Right

Quick side note: does this mean that I now have a neutral on that right side that i can safely draw power from for an outlet for a tablet ? (i read that it’s not safe to wire a neutral from an outlet to a ground)

While its technically possible I would advise against it. I don’t know where this power feed came from and a receptacle should be able to provide 15 Amps by law. Law being your local codes and the NEC (National Electric Code).

1 Like