3-way with no red, and can I put the Inovelli switch at the far end?

@Tccshenkes The wiring is from 1983 I think. Much of it still has the original spatter from when they put texture on the walls during construction.

@Bry here is the wiring. Anything with a number was confirmed with a multimeter to test continuity. If there’s no number I didn’t test but did verify which wires were part of the same Romex. Cyan is white wires.

That matches my drawing, right?

Yes believe so, although the connections between the two top screws on the switches are flipped at the far switch. Doesn’t matter electrically I guess, but you’ve got left connected to left and right connected to right. Mine are wired left-right and right-left.

I have no idea what you mean, but I think you’re right that it doesn’t matter electrically. Basically, as long as the black and white from the one Romex are connected to the brass terminals on the switches it doesn’t matter.

So what did you figure out for the Inovelli? :thinking:

Now that I know where all the wires go I can look at what I want my configuration to be, not what it is now, and see if I can get there with the wires I have available.

Everything is on the same circuit so for planning purposes I can assume any neutral (I’m being careful to say neutral, not white wire) I have is usable in any location regardless of which Romex bundle got it there.

My question of whether I can put the Inovelli switch at the far end is really “can I turn the far end into a line/load box” so it looks like this, where the near end is the aux and the far end is the Inovelli:

1. Neutral at the near end. Easy, tons of neutral at the near end.:white_check_mark:
  2. One wire connecting near and far. Easy, I have two wires going from near to far, I can use wire #1 for this. :white_check_mark:
  3. Line at the far end. Yes! I can use the capped off wire in the diagram for this, which would be my wire #2. Tie it directly to line voltage in the near box and send it to the far end. :white_check_mark:
  4. A connection to load at the far end. Yes, I have this today with wire #3/#5 in my diagram. :white_check_mark:
  5. A neutral at the far end. Yes! I have the spare white wire #4 just hanging in the box doing nothing right now. It even happens to already be connected to neutral. :white_check_mark:
  6. Neutral for the switched outlet. Yes! Because the un-switched outlet at the bottom has its own neutral coming in via the un-numbered Romex 2-wire at the bottom of my diagram. :white_check_mark:

How I do @Bry? :grin:

:+1::+1:

That looks pretty good, with maybe a slight tweak! I think you’re right on with the diagram you posted. If you think about the far switch where you want to put the Inovelli, you do have the load in that box. I agree you have to pair with an Aux in the near box.

So the Inovelli switch (not a dimmer) goes in the far switch box. The switch needs a hot and a neutral, the Load to the receptacle and a traveler back to the Aux in the near box. You already have a neutral in the far box (the capped white that’s tied to the neutral bus at the receptacle). So you need to supply a hot and a traveler between the switches and connect the Load.

You’re going to leave the constant hot 2-wire feed alone and use the other 2-wire between the switches. I’d use the black to supply the constant hot and the white as the traveler. At the Inovelli, the black going to the switched part of the receptacle goes to the Load on the switch.

That’s the theory. Let us know how it goes!

Yup! I’m off to order a switch :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awww, man! You don’t have the switch yet? I wanted to know how it worked tonight, lol. :joy:

A reminder for the Aux, from Inovelli:

As of now, these auxiliary switches are the only ones supported:

1. GE Enbrighten Add-On #12723

2. GE Enbrighten Add-On #46199

3. HomeSeer Add-On #HS-WA100+

Damn, what a tease!!!

They’ll arrive Tuesday. Don’t worry, I’ll report back.

I ordered the “not supported but shhhhh it seems to work” Enerwave. I used it in the garage for the 3-way and it was fine.

Tell Amazon to get them here faster then. It’s dumb, they should stock them at SWA1 for same-day delivery in the Seattle area. Make them!

I’ll look forward to reading the support ticket lol jk :rofl:

I’ll get my buddy Jeffrey on the phone!

1 Like

It’s been in use in the garage for about a week with a black on/off. No issues at all.

If I do have an issue I’ll just give you a call :grinning:

New phone, who dis?

Your buddy Jeff. We regret to inform you that all u r switches are being held in Kentucky until we decide it’s time to actually ship them.

1 Like

I’m glad to see you and Bry got it figured out. Enjoy the new switch. They are the best.

:skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones::skull_and_crossbones:

What’s the problem? I only paid $2.33/ea for my Aux switches at Lowes. Luckily I was able to buy two additional ones at the same price, but still had to order two-packs from Amazon at $35.00.

Jeff delivered the switches a day early.

I installed them according to the plan I outlined above.

It worked first try.

:partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

Thanks for your help @Bry! This is the last of the switches I had to replace. I am so done with removing face plates :joy:

1 Like

Good thing @Eric_Inovelli knows Jeff!

Maybe between the two of them they can find those red dimmers . . .

Seriously, glad you got it going!