Auxiliary Switch | Project Golden Rule (LED Version)

Sorry @Eric_Inovelli - just saw this now. The ones that I have are the GE Enbrighten Z-Wave Plus Switch and Add-on. Sorry for the Amazon link, but this is the one that I bought - I hope it gets you what you need. I won’t be offended if you edit my post to delete the link once you have the information.

Being an AUX switch, its won’t be carrying any of the load. The only wattage the device needs to dissipate is its own internal power which should be minimal (<2w).

Also I don’t see a defined requirement in the PRD that specifies the AUX switch should mimic the notifications on the Master switch. Its somewhat implied, but this note doesn’t clearly encompass the animated notifications. It only implies that dimming levels need to be in sync

I know there were a few requests to have independent notification capability on the Aux switch (and I have a few cases where I could use that also). But I dont’ see that happening without a zwave radio being added. That would increase the cost and be undesirable IMHO for an Aux switch since a current Red Dimmer can function as an Aux today via association. One of the primary objectives for an Aux switch is providing a lower cost option for Slaves in a multi-way wiring arrangement.

1 Like

Can think be clarified. Will the aux switch need line, neutral and a traveler or just a neutral and traveler?

I’ve seen lots of wiring cases posted where needing all 3 won’t work because the 3rd conductor going between boxes often has to be used for the load.

3 or more way circuits are often wired with power to first switch box and load from the last switch box, which would mean the Z-wave device must go in the last box if the aux switches require line, neutral and power. That removes the choice of the location where notifications can be done.

I believe the intent is for these Aux switches to exactly mimic the main switch, including notifictions on the LED bar. I interpret that to mean all switches will display the same thing on their LED bars. So it don’t’ think it will matter which location each is in.

I would buy these in a heartbeat! Would they work in a 4-way scenario?

I’ll let @EricM_Inovelli take this one LOL.

We were hoping to have the 700 Series by the end of the year, but lead times on 700 series chipsets are now pushing 52 weeks. It’s truly unreal.

We haven’t, but I wouldn’t be surprised.

In other news, Lutron has copied us! Cute.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lutron-Sunnata-Touch-Dimmer-with-LED-Advanced-Technology-for-Superior-Dimming-of-LED-Incandescent-Halogen-Bulbs-White-STCL-153PH-WH/311593251

Thank you sir – I’ve sent these onto the manufacturer!

Good point! Dang, we need an engineer on the internal team lol.

This is a good call-out. I will make sure to let @Darwyn_Inovelli know!

Yes, for sure, I think you’re correct. We did receive pricing on this and we should be able to keep this under $20 no problem. Less if the tariffs go away.

Yes, let me clarify with @Darwyn_Inovelli!

Let me confirm this. The aux switch only has two terminals, so this may not be able to be put in any location as the smart switch needs to be wired where the line is.

Yeah, definitely :slight_smile: – they will work as normal aux switches work – 3/4/5/6-way!

1 Like

Swipe the LED strip to set the dimmer level. That is a neat feature

2 Likes

Please, for the creatures of habit, do NOT implement the swipe bar. It’s hard enough to get guests to understand the paddle concept. Adding the complexity of having the individual to swipe up or down on a bar could be more of a PITA. I can barely get my parents to understand how to swipe on a phone…

2 Likes

Understood. The house wiring may determine where the Master/Aux switches have to be placed. But the question was about switch location with regard to Notifications…

My guess (which Inovelli would need to confirm) was that the Aux switch will mimic any notification on the Master switch. So they would all display the same notification, regardless of their location as first or last or middle switch in the circuit. Is that correct or no?

I’m curious how the aux switch with only 2 wires gets the power to drive the LED strip. Does the traveler both power the aux switch and transmit the control data?

From either line or neutral.

Well, you can’t get power from 1 wire. It would have to be between the line and traveler. You can’t get any power from the neutral.

Last time I checked, NA is AC power…which alternates between Neutral and Line. Hence is why an individual can still get shocked touching neutral.

The neutral is grounded at the panel. You’ve got wiring issues if you get shocked only touching the neutral, or by creating a path between the neutral and ground with your body.

So you’re saying there is power on neutral. You would t get shocked if you became ground if there was t any voltage on neutral. Also I believe sub panels neutrals and grounds aren’t bonded.

No power on the neutral. No voltage is present. No shock if you touch it. The neutral is not grounded at a sub panel because it’s grounded at the main panel and can only be grounded in one location.

Was just catching up on this thread and I want to chime in on the ‘swipe the lightbar’ feature. This is a good idea on paper and terrible in real life. ESPECIALLY WITH KIDS. I have the Brilliant Home control which uses a similar approach and my kids mess with the slider all the time and if they leave any food, dirt, grime, You get the idea. The lights freak out. Just my $0.02 on that.

Another vote here to support double tap. I just swapped out a GE dimmer at the top of my stairs with an Inovelli one. The GE dimmer supported double tap through the aux switch at the bottom of the stairs. The Inovelli doesn’t :frowning: Having an aux switch that has the light bar and supports double tap would be perfect!

We’re definitely trying to implement this feature :slight_smile: – funny, @EricM_Inovelli and I were just talking about this today!

1 Like

Hello, I apologize beforehand if these are ridiculously stupid questions or is obvious to others (and I just don’t see it), I’m a software/systems integration expert, not an electrical wiring one. I cannot wait for Inovelli AUX switches to be created and have learned a lot just by this thread alone :smile:. My house has neutral wiring in all locations but I have two 3-way setups in my house that I could not figure out whether this arrangement would work with these prospective AUXs:

1. Two light fixtures (each with smart bulbs) on a staircase with an Inovelli dimmer in the main box with the local relay disabled. The dumb companion switch is currently covered with a magnetic cover. How would the Golden Rule AUX switch still honor the local relay disabled at its location?

2. One fan/downlight that has the LZN36 installed at the main box. Though I doubt it, would I be able to wire/configure the Golden Rule AUX switch at the companion location to turn on/off or control either only the fan or light (I’m not choosy which one).

Thanks,
Danny