Blue 2-1 Switch AND Bulbs flickering

One of my switches is setup in dimmer + 3 way mode (dumb switch), all of the others are in dimmer + single pole mode. I’m using the same amazon basics dimmable light bulbs on all of the switches. With the 3 way switch, there is some flickering on the bulbs at various dimming levels, but if I increase the brightness too high, the bulbs start flashing with about a 0.5s-1s delay as well as the LED on the switch itself. The switch ends up becoming unresponsive and I have to use the dumb switch to shut the light off to regain control. Has anyone seen this behavior or have thoughts on what could cause it? I believe I’ve wired it correctly.

Yeah, I’m having a similar issue. Weird thing is, it just started happening.

Bulbs are all GE LED. Only happening with some of my three way switches though. Weird.

Are the problem 3-ways with Aux or a dumb switches?

1 Like

Just wanted to pop in real quick and say that this seems to be a bug and we’re working on a fix. We’re trying to figure out why this wasn’t discovered in beta as I personally tested 3-Way w/dumb switch and didn’t notice this behavior.

But, it seems to be easily replicated and we’re seeing the same thing. The engineers are on this one and there should be a fix shortly (within a couple days tops).

7 Likes

Thank you for the update! Loving the switches so far :slight_smile: Is this going to be an OTA firmware update?

1 Like

Yeah definitely OTA. We have firmware ready for the Philips Hue fix (binding temperature change issue), but we’re waiting to test it first. They’re pretty fast with these fixes. A lot of the resources are being spent on this network issue that popped up, but I would imagine this one (3-Way) is an easy fix (knock on wood) since it’s easily replicated.

2 Likes

Sounds good! I will wait for that fix then.

1 Like

As luck would have it, we received a test firmware file that has this fix in it. We’re testing it right now :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Can you confirm how to upgrade firmware on Smartthings?

I don’t believe that’s possible, at the moment. Samsung has to allow the OTA on their end.

1 Like

Any luck with testing? Not sure if you’ve even had a chance to test it yet though :slight_smile:

Is there some kind of workaround to get the firmware pushed through on Smartthings? Seems like getting these type of firmware fixes could be critical to stability and function.

I don’t know of any way through SmartThings at the present. However, you can temporarily add the switch to Hubitat or Home Assistant, flash it, and then put it back on SmartThings. I would hope that ultimately, Inovelli and Samsung will work out the OTA process, though.

1 Like

Not unless Samsung picks up the phone. @jody you still around?

This is one reason why I am switching over to Hubitat from Smartthings.

@Bry I opened a ticket with Smartthings support but they are saying that firmware updates should occur automatically for Innoveli through the hub.

“In regards to your email I would like to inform you that when the device firmware update is available it auto updates if it is not updated automatically we request you to manually update the firmware and check how it works”

This seems to be at odds with what you stated. Any suggestions? Ty

1 Like

Cool that you did that. That is an um, interesting response. :joy:

Anything further would best be answered by Inovelli . . . . @EricM_Inovelli

That is partially true (at least in the past). SmartThings would push out some updates to certain zigbee devices, but ST had to push them out. They only really did this for SmartThings devices and some zigbee bulbs and maybe some others. They have never really opened this up to outside developers. Latest I heard they are still working on the process, but haven’t heard anything else.

Side note: If you have firmware 2.05 installed you might want to try to adjust the max level to 95, then 90, then 85 and test it at each level.

Ok interesting. I was clear with my question to them that this is in regards to an Inovelli branded zigbee switch. Their response suggests firmware updates should be possible, so there seems to be a disconnect somewhere. Where do we go from here? I only ask because this is a broad enough issue that some users would consider changing hubs for, but if Smartthings support is accurate in their replies, then it is already supported hence no need to switch.

The info they relayed is likely for the types of updates I mentioned (ST official devices, some zigbee bulbs, and a handful of other devices). Unfortunately, that is essentially out-dated or doesn’t apply to 3rd party developers. I wish it did!

I will continue to encourage the SmartThings devs to allow us to push our firmware updates. SmartThings is kind of the missing link in this regard as we can push updates on all the other major platforms. I usually reach out every couple of weeks, but I’ll try a couple other resources. In the meantime, if you come across any documentation that I may have missed please let me know.