Blue 2-1 (VZM31-SN) can turn lights on and off but not dim

This weekend I noticed some weird things happening to this switch:

• Lights does not appear to be on at 100% brightness.
  • Lights won’t dim when I press and hold the paddle up or down, nothing happens, not even the LED bar will change.
  • If I use the app to dim (Home Assistant with ZHA), the LED bar will show the corresponding level (e.g.: 50%) but again, lights won’t dim. Even if I bring the level down to 1% nothing will happen to the lights.

What does work:

• On and off appears to be fine.
  • I have it set to notify me when the garage lights are On (through a HA automation) and it works just fine. I get the animation on the LED bar.

What have I tried unsuccessfully:

• Remove it from HA and add it back.
  • Remove it from HA, factory reset it and add it back.
  • Remove it from HA, cut the power to the switch for a minute, bring power back, factory reset it and add it back to HA.

Interesting thing: when compared to my other switches in HA, even though the firmware number is the same, the available options/settings are as seeing here:

I running Home Assistant 2024.4.1

Hi @CodeMaster, it really sounds like local protection and on/off mode are both enabled. Can you please toggle those settings so that you can confirm they are correct?

Thank you @EricM_Inovelli .
I can confirm Local Protection is now disabled and Output Mode is set to dimmer.
I’m able to dim now which is great but do you know why and how to fix the firmware vs settings issue?

As you can see in my screenshot, both switches have the same firmware version but the features/options available to each one of them are different.

I don’t mind updating the firmware if I have to, I just need to know how :slight_smile: (or if oy have any docs available on the subject)

Expand the “Zigbee Info” arrow below the firmware version and post a screenshot for both.

This one does not have Double tap down options (among other things):

This one does (this is the one we fixed the dimming issue by the way):

I find it interesting that the first switch shows as hitting the v11 quirk and the second uses v12 when the same firmware version should use the same quirk as well. I’m expecting off the names that this is just pulling from within HA today and you aren’t doing a custom quirk? If that’s the case, could you confirm which HA version you’re on?

@chack Yeah, that is strange.

Side note, I had two Zigbee bulbs I included yesterday. Same model, same firmware, etc. One came in as an RGBW bulb and one came in as Color temp only. Color temp only was correct and the RGBW was not. I did a “Reconfigure” on both and it didn’t change anything. I then restarted HA and they both were correct after that. @CodeMaster maybe try a reconfigure and then restart HA?

It is good to know this kind of stuff can happen :slight_smile:
I wasn’t doing anything custom and I did try reconfigure and restart a couple of times and it didn’t work.

Anyway, I had this brand new Home Assistant Yellow here just waiting for the right time to migrate so this weekend I finally did it. I added all switches to a fresh home assistant install (Yellow) and it is all good now. I guess we will never know exactly what and why it happened but… I’m good with that.

Thanks for your help.