Blue Fan Switch (VZM35-SN) - Z2M throwing No converter available & no light entity in HA for LEDs - Seems configured correctly to have the converter

Hello,

I am trying to get my blue series fan switch setup so that I can control the LEDs in Home Assistant. However they are not showing up as an entity. When I got to set “ledEffect” or “ledColor” in Z2M I get a no converter available error and I was wondering if that could contribute to not seeing the light entity in Home Assistant:

No converter available for 'ledEffect' ({"effect":"Solid"})

I followed the steps here for adding the converter: Blue Series Fan Switch • Setup Instructions • Zigbee2MQTT | Inovelli Help Center

However my Z2M instance is running in docker on a separate host than my HAOS VM as I needed the Zigbee coordinator dongle in in a central location and my HAOS VM is on my main server in the basement.

When I exec into the Z2M docker I see the file is there:

/app/data # ls
VZM35SN.js               configuration.yaml       coordinator_backup.json  database.db              log                      state.json

And the path seems fine in configuration.yaml for Z2M:

external_converters:
  - /app/data/VZM35SN.js

Z2M Version: 1.33.1 commit: 7e63039
Switch Firmware is at 1.04 with no updates available

Anything obvious that I am missing?

Thanks

Very little logged, just:

error 2023-11-17 17:25:24: No converter available for 'ledEffect' ({"effect":"Off"})

Well, I seem to be able to control the lights if I use this blueprint: [Z2M] Inovelli Blue Series Switch LED Notification Script (VZM31-SN, VZM35-SN) - Blueprints Exchange - Home Assistant Community so I guess I don’t need an entity for them. I’ll have to look deeper to see how that does it, maybe these converter errors don’t impact anything other than Z2M UI.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I think you can drop the /app/data/ and just put in the name of the converter to get it to work.

On a side note, Z2M has a built in converter now after the last update, but doesn’t seem to be 100% yet.

Thanks for the reply. I tried adding both, then just VZM35SN.js and still got the error (restarted after each time). However, using this script blueprint for Home Assistant, I am able to change the lights including the effect and color. I did a docker compose pull and then restarted Z2M. It still shows 1.33.1 as my Z2M version which I was a bit surprised by as I see a 1.33.2 tag here Docker and I thought my compose file would default to pull latest:

zigbee2mqtt:
    container_name: zigbee2mqtt
    restart: unless-stopped
    image: koenkk/zigbee2mqtt

I threw :latest in the image name and it pulled 1.3.2:

The ‘no converter’ errors are unfortunately still there but now I have to click an apply button…

No converter available for 'ledEffect' ({"color":128,"effect":"Off"})

Thought they were gone for a minute.

Oh no now my HA automations don’t work!

zigbee2mqtt    | Zigbee2MQTT:error 2023-11-17 18:59:34: Publish 'set' 'led_effect' to 'Jacksons Room Inovelli Blue Fan Switch' failed: 'Error: Cluster with name 'manuSpecificInovelliVZM31SN' does not exist'

I can’t remember where I read, but in one of the threads about the LEDs, z2m stopped using manuSpecificInovelliVZM31SN and are now using just VZM31SN. The person who made the blueprint has updated it to use just the VZM31SN.

That makes sense. I figured I would try to re-pair the switch and see if that synced up the settings as I couldn’t control anything from Home Assistant after updating the Z2M, not just the lights. After removing it from Z2M, however, I can not longer get it to join. Factory reset by holding config and up does not seem to work either.

I’ve had to try multiple times to get things to pair, not just with Inovelli. I will typically stop z2m from looking for devices and tell it to start looking again, then reset the device (switch). Might be worth retarting z2m. I’ve noticed if I start removing and readding devices, z2m can get funky. If it still is acting up, I’ll restart the lxc and possibly the proxmox node.

The manufacturer specific cluster was renamed because it is used by both the VZM35 and the VZM31.

A custom converter should not be required any more. Support for both switches is in the latest release.

Thanks. Got my stuff sorted out. After I updated Z2M and pulled the update for not needing the custom converter I had to re-pair the switch to get it to stop throwing errors on the automations. However once removed from Z2M I could not get it to go back to pairing mode. I had localProtection enabled because I wanted to use the rocker to control the lights and the config button for the fan. I figured out a key press combo that disabled localProtection and from there I could reset it and pair it back to Z2M. Once I did this everything started working fine, I just had to press a bunch of buttons again to get the different keypresses to show up in the drop down menus in HA.