Blue Series 2-1 Firmware Changelog | VZM31-SN

Once inovelli posts to their firmware repo, within 24 hours all of mine update automagically on ZHA thanks to @chack. Not sure how it works on Z2M.

Haven’t touched the switch for updates in a long time and it’s always current.

NOTE: You can turn this off on ZHA.

Does that mean we may see 2.16 this week if all works out in testing?

I hope so. We just received an update, but I didn’t see the default level enhancement in the notes, so we need to see if it was added. I was out of the office today, but can check with the other Eric tomorrow to see what the game plan is to roll it out!

Edit: It was called something different in the release notes. Looks like it’s in there. I’m going to test tonight and see if it works!

6 Likes

Fingers crossed it works. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Did it work? :crossed_fingers:

So the downside of SmartThings is it sometimes takes a bit for the latest Edge Driver to populate in my network so I’m still waiting for it to find my hub.

Essentially it’s a parameter that can be turned on or off depending on how you want your binding to be handled.

So, right now I can’t turn it on to test until the driver is delivered to my hub :confused:

If it doesn’t do it tonight, I’m going to see if Maycock can quickly whip up the Hubitat driver and I’ll just test it there.

1 Like

Interesting, hopefully it works out with either one. :crossed_fingers:
Good to know that it’s a parameter so that I know how to enable it with home assistant.

1 Like

If you send me the .docx file, I’ll add the new parameters to the Hubitat driver

And actually, if you’re already running a beta driver you can use the Set Parameter command button to manually set any parameter to any value.

If you’re running an older production driver you should be able to use the Set Zigbee Attribute command button

5 Likes

Nice, ok I will test it tonight on Hubitat then!

@Dan001 - great news, it’s working :slight_smile:

Here is the switch with the default On/Off (how it’s currently implemented):

Here’s it with the default level fixed for dimming:

Pretty cool!

Edit: Also shout-out to @mamber for the awesome driver :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome glad it worked.

1 Like

British Movie GIF by Pretty Whiskey / Alex Sautter (GIF Image)

@Eric_Inovelli What are the odds we’ll see source code for these switches? I feel there is a strong enough presence in the community where one would see great changes and customizability if left in the hands of the people using them. Plus, that would alleviate the cost of paying for minor changes the community could do.

Either way, looking forward to the new firmware release.

3 Likes

Hate to be this blunt, but there’s a zero percent chance that will happen right now.

I think if we were a much larger company and had a more stable supply of inventory, we would consider it further, but right now if we released the firmware source code, while most people would put it to good use and create amazing versions of the firmware, our competition would now get a free copy of seven years worth of R&D.

I know our competition stalks these forums too because our design has been ripped off by one of the largest companies out there.

I realize that they could reverse engineer the firmware and also just look up all the parameters and have someone write it, but I’d rather make it hard for them.

Sucks because I’m a firm believer in open-source as that’s what’s made Android so great and takes me back to the XDA-Developers days when I used to flash custom ROM’s, but at this time we just can’t risk it as a company, at least until we have enough inventory stability.

The last thing I’d want to see happen is we run out of stock, then Company X says, “look, we have the exact same switch, it’s 1/2 the cost bc we’re a Chinese company, and we are fully in-stock”. I think that would put us out of business tbh.

I want to just also say that I do appreciate the sentiment behind your comment. Those that know me know that this was a painful response for me to write because I really am a firm believer in the greater good and know that you guys are just trying to help. Just stinks there are the bad apples out there with bad intents.

10 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli I think the bigger question is did YOU (Inovelli) get access to the firmware source code? That was an issue with the previous generations (Lxxx)

2 Likes

So how does it look for a 2.16 firmware release this week?

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s totally understandable & I appreciate your open and upfront honesty. Perhaps if there was even a tightly knitted group of individuals who had access to it. Like most software, the best quality firmware will come from those who are like-minded & home automation tinkerers who aren’t put to strict deadlines from higher up management.

What would be awesome is if we have a private channel for beta firmware on Zigbee2MQTT.

1 Like

Well then, now we’re just going to have to push you even harder to switch to Home Assistant :wink:

3 Likes

I was about to ask the same thing. I’m a reverse engineer on the side but I don’t steal things or use the things I reverse to make money, I only use the skillset to further learn RE and to repair problems / add additional functionality. That all being said, I wonder if Inovelli made this firmware, has access to it, or maybe even purchased it from a chinese wholesaler. No worries either way, just naturally curious.

Yesssss, please switch to HA + Z2M. Well, we’d still need testers on other platforms though so maybe that’s a benefit too lol.

1 Like