Blue Series 2-1 Firmware Changelog | VZM31-SN

This is an official release, but we also don’t have control over how someone updates their switch. They could pull the wrong firmware and flash it, they could have something go wrong in their network that causes the switch to fail halfway through, etc.

Our stance is that the firmware on the production switches you currently have was flashed by the factory and therefore is what we officially support for that date code.

Just updated a switch to 2.14 in HA on Z2MQTT, and had some questions:

1. How do I find the control for setting the non-neutral power output?

2. How do I find the control for double tap to turn off?

3. I thought the change to #2 would be double tap for lowest brightness (for night light), since single tap is the direct way to turn the light off?

We need a new converter, which hasn’t been uploaded yet. See my question to @EricM_Inovelli above.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m sadly unfamiliar with the details of how z2m works :sweat_smile:

Is that a manual process involved with that, or will it need another update when the converter is updated?

1 Like

If the converter is released in the next week or two, there is a process where you can force z2m to override the built-in converter and use the new one. Alternatively, you can wait until the next z2m release after the converter is published and the converter will be bundled with the z2m release. Typically the cadence for z2m updates is once per month on/about the first of each month, unless there are major bugs that require a hotfix.

1 Like

Ah, thank you. So I’ll just update my switches now, and expect to wait a few weeks until the new features are actually exposed in UI.

@EricM_Inovelli or @Eric_Inovelli I know @nathanfiscus has made the commits for the converter previously. If you give me the details, I’m happy to make a PR for the converter if someone else isn’t already working on it.

2 Likes

I updated 4 switches so far.

2 have completed updates just fine, and now show the new firmware, 2.14 from 2023031, in HA Z2M.

But after completing the update, the other two still show 2.08 from 20221110. They also no longer show any OTA available.

In the “state” menu all switches show “installed version” as 16908814.

Are they all updated correctly?

I’ve had other z2m devices do the same thing - go through OTA, and then not update the version number. But these are the only devices that actually have new features/fixes that I need. So I want to make sure I have them updated correctly.

1 Like

They have likely updated, but haven’t updated in the interface yet.

@uLLfAEVeKVgMvpiA Here are the additional configuration options that were added. I don’t think anyone is working on the PR yet:

parameter025 : [
    number: 25,
    name: "Higher Output in non-Neutral",
    description: "Ability to increase level in non-neutral mode but may cause problems with high level ficker or aux switch detection. Adjust max level (P10) if you have problems with this enabled.",
    range: ["0":"Disabled (default)","1":"Enabled"],
    default:0,
    size: 1,
    type: "enum",
    value: null
    ],
parameter053 : [
    number: 53,
    name: "Double-Tap UP to parameter 55",
    description: "Enable or Disable setting brightness to parameter 55 on double-tap UP.",
    range: ["0":"Disabled (default)", "1":"Enabled"],
    default: 0,
    ],
parameter054 : [
    number: 54,
    name: "Double-Tap DOWN to parameter 56",
    description: "Enable or Disable setting brightness to parameter 56 on double-tap DOWN.",
    range: ["0":"Disabled (default)", "1":"Enabled"],
    ],
parameter055 : [
    number: 55,
    name: "Brightness level for Double-Tap UP",
    description: "Set this level on double-tap UP (if enabled by P53)",
    range: "0..100",
    default: 100,
    size: 8,
    type: "number",
    ],
parameter056 : [
    number: 56,
    name: "Brightness level for Double-Tap DOWN",
    description: "Set this level on double-tap DOWN (if enabled by P54)",
    range: "0..100",
    default: 1,
    size: 8,
    type: "number",
    ],
parameter100 : [
    number: 100,
    name: "LED Bar Scaling",
    description: "Method used for scaling.  This allows you to match the scaling when two different generations are in the same gang box",
    range: ["0":"Gen3 method (VZM-style)","1":"Gen2 method (LZW-style)"],
    ],
parameter123 : [
    number: 123,
    name: "Aux Switch Unique Scenes",
    description: "Have unique scene numbers for scenes activated with the aux switch",
    ],
parameter125 : [
    number: 125,
    name: "Binding Off-to-On Sync Level",
    description: "Send Move_To_Level using Default Level with Off/On to bound devices",
    ],
1 Like

Perfect, I’ll create a PR after work.

For people updating on Z2M, are you seeing some way to refresh all the “exposes” for each switch, other than click the individual refresh buttons? After the firmware update, the setting goes back to null, for 20 switches that’s 1260 refresh buttons that have to be clicked?!?

If am I correct that there is not way to refresh all, feel free to star this github request.

Is there a process to update on Hubitat yet or do we have to wait for something from the Hubitat team?

I’m sure I could set up Z2M and update them one by one, but currently running my radios through Hubitat, and everything else through HA.

You can check by double clicking the update firmware button under the device. It’s available.

2 Likes

I swear I tried this first! I’ll try again.

Love 2.14 firmware! I had an Ikea 5-led light that buzzes and flickers with other dimmers and previous firmware. With the 2.14, it works perfectly when I set it up this way:

5 Likes

Thank you SO MUCH for pushing this through, even though your original conversations with the manufacturer were less than promising. My Blues are far more useful now than they were a few hours ago, and it’s fantastic to see (or in my case, hear) how much better the dimming function has become. No more buzzing light fixtures!

5 Likes

Wow, I pretty dissatisfied with the 2.08 dimming, but it’s great now!

3 Likes

I’m simply not happy at all with this update. It has made all of my other, non-Inovelli smart switches obsolete and that’s gonna cost me some dollars to replace with more Blues.

5 Likes

Interesting observation I have made. I have just over 30 switches in my house running on HA. I’ve updated 6-7 at a time. On the final batch of switches, the install time has gone from 45-60 minutes a switch to 30ish minutes. I’m wondering if the improvements to the switches are allowing faster communication including downloading the firmware to the switches…

1 Like

My only Blue currently installed, updated the firmware within 4 minutes through Hubitat. But its not showing the new firmware number.