Blue Series 2-1 Firmware Changelog | VZM31-SN

I was in the development tab because I couldn’t find which entity to use in my automation. I did use:

platform: state
attribute: action
to: up_single

As an automation trigger, but I don’t know that to put as “entity_id”…

@xenokira or anyone else that is having issues updating, there are a couple things to check. Sometimes an update will not finish completely and has to be restarted. It may even get to 99% but not get all the way through. I have seen this happen more often on ZHA, but on Z2M as well. It is also more likely if you are running multiple updates at the same time.

On Z2M it will also finish the update but querying the switch isn’t timed correctly so it won’t show the correct firmware version. You can look it up by going to the Dev Console (for the device) → ep1 → genBasic → swBuildId. Usually doing this and a restart of z2m will show the new version in the device page. You can know this is happening as well because if you click “Check for new firmware” in the OTA screen it will come back and say an update is not available.

If you are still having issues considering these things please open a ticket https://help.inovelli.com/ and we will help work through it.

2 Likes

Are you not using the GUI? All you have to do is choose the entity which is your switch.

Ok I can use the GUI rather than YAML. So just to be clear:

1. I create a new automation
  2. I add a trigger. Do I choose “device”, or “entity”? (my UI is in French, sorry if the terms are not exact, I’m guessing at the translations)

a) If it is “device”, I can successfully pick my switch as the device, but the trigger doesn’t have “action” in it. It is a drop-down, I cannot manually fill it. This was the old way of doing things, so I assume it isn’t what you are talking about.

b) If it is “entity”, I then pick “state”. At which point I can select the entity for my switch. That entity is a light entity, and starts with “light.name_of_switch”. There I can manually input “action” as attribute, and “up_single” as to. This doesn’t seem to work, the automation is never triggered, and I suspect it is because the light entity doesn’t have an “action” attribute. This is what I was looking for in the dev console.

Can you advise? I can post screenshots if needed. Thank you very much for your help by the way.

You have to use up_double or something more than a single press. A single press will just turn that single light on. Although, you could still use it as a trigger for other lights if you wanted under a single press. Your switch MUST have a delay of 300ms or more set or it will not work. It is entity, state.

Not sure how this is not working for you, I have tested and it 100% works. Something in your automation is not correct.

Your entity should be: switch (action)
The attribute field should be blank, not used.
To (optional) should be: up_double or up_single

1 Like

Ok thanks, I’ll try it out. Could you possibly send the YAML of that automation, either the entire automation or the trigger part? Just to be sure I don’t get mixed up.

YAML for trigger:

entity_id:

• sensor.switchnamehere_action

to: up_double

You really shouldn’t use YAML anymore. HA is built around the GUI now.

I don’t have the “sensor.switchnamehere_action” entity, that is my issue I think. Should I just fill it by hand? I can’t find the entity anywhere…

All right I figured it out, I unpaired the switch, factory reset it, and re-paired it, and now all the actions work. I don’t know why they were working before the update, then stopped working until a factory reset.

I haven’t setup my automations this way (I guess I use an old method that is going away at some point), but I think this is the “current” way of setting them up. I had to manually type in “up_double”. I guess z2m is moving away from the legacy triggers which is what I believe I have used in the past.

yaml:

entity_id:
  - sensor.basement_living_room_action
to: up_double

For some reason these “sensor.nameofswitch_action” entities don’t exist for me, so I guess I’ll use the old way of doing things for now.

From my experience, the commands coming from 2.18 are definitely different than 2.15. To be honest, 2.18 is actually correct now, but for those that have bound switches to Zigbee groups there is a binding change that I am experiencing.

For 2.15, if I bound to a group, you would typically only bind the Level Control and not the On/Off as when turning the lights off it would not fade and was abrupt Off. This is/was also in the video as an example when setting up binding. In direct binding to a light, NOT a group, On/Off and Level Control were used just fine. This only happens with Group bindings and the Off command.

For 2.18, you must now bind both On/Off and Level Control to get the switch to work correctly with a Zigbee group binding. This is actually more technically correct, but you need to know to adjust the bindings to get what you are expecting.

If you do not bind the On/Off in 2.18, the lights will not turn on/off on single press events.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. Had to redo a few binds.

2 Likes

This worked for me. Thanks!

2 Likes

The particular switch is a replacement for one of the ones the manufacturer messed up in the original shipments, but otherwise yes. I’ve been able to upgrade some of my switches, but I’m having issues with at least a few (so far, I’ve had about a 60% success rate…). They get through the entire upgrade process in Z2M, report successful, but then they’re still stuck on v2.15.

Does anyone have a JTAG hardness/cable they’d recommend and a link to documentation on the process? I think this is my next step :frowning:

Mine did this and still reported 2.15 even though the firmware update seemed to complete successfully. I went into the dev console and read swBuildId from the genBasic cluster, and then restarted Z2M, and they all now show up as 2.18.

I’ve noticed that on the switches that have upgraded successfully. Problem is, I have two switches (so far) that have refused to upgrade. I’ve tried about half dozen times each; one is my test switch and the other I installed last week and recently upgraded to 2.15 from 2.08. I have 18 more installed VZM31-SNs to upgrade (and about half a dozen left to install & upgrade).

Edit: one of the two switches did eventually update, still no dice on my test switch though :cry: I’ve tried another ~half dozen times in total since this post (~dozen total).

Update 2024-05-10 - I’ve successfully updated 24 of 25 switches. My test switch is the only one being left behind (reports successful every time, but never actually upgrades). I think I’m going to be opening a ticket with Support for it next week. I have a second (not installed) switch that I need to open a case for anyway.

Update 2024-05-15 - A couple more freshly installed switches successfully upgraded. Ticket opened with Inovelli (2024-05-13) and waiting to hear back regarding the switch that will not upgrade OTA.

I’m also having issues upgrading one of my switches to 2.18. I’m running Z2M and 7 out of 8 of my switches upgraded without issue. However, my one switch gets through the upgrade process, and as far as I can tell in the logs and at the switch itself, doesn’t fail. It just gets done and then stays at 2.15. I’ve also tried a half dozen times to update, to restart Z2M, MQTT, and ping the switch through the Dev console to see if it’ll read 2.18. Even doing that still shows 2.15.

Have you or anyone else figured out a solution to this problem?

Scroll up to the solution posted by @Eric_Inovelli

To add to that, I had to do one by one because I found that doing them in bulk it would not work and stay showing 2.15

So do one restart Z2M and move to next one, rinse, and repeat.

Just scrolled up and read through posts all the way back to August 2023. Honestly, not sure how much further I need to scroll upward. The input isn’t working as far as I can tell. The SWBuildID trick doesn’t work for my Blue 2-1 (Kitchen Switch). It is my only non-neutral switch but it is turned off during updating the firmware as another poster suggested. I also tried restarting Z2M and I keep running into the situation where it says successful and went from 2.15 to 2.15. This is what the last few lines of Z2M debug read.

Am I left with needing to borrow a wire harness or will factory resetting it and performing the firmware update do the trick? @EricM_Inovelli any advice you can provide would be super appreciated.