Blue Series 2-1 - How to configure 3 Way with 2 blue smart switches

Does anyone know how to configure this in Home Assistant?
Basically binding the switches together to sync: on, off, dim and led bar?.
@Eric_Inovelli @EricM_Inovelli do you guys happen to have any info on this?

Longer version…
I started by following the instructions:

a) Changed my 3 way wiring - basically it is no longer 3 way, it is now a single pole switch controlling the light on one side and a switch without load on the other).
b) Based on the instructions the next step would be to bind both switches.

And that is where it get’s tricky… the manual has a place holder for this instruction which was never updated. Also somewhere in the instructions there is a video where it reads switch to switch but it is actually switch to bulb.

Already posted on a few other threads with similar subject and email support but so far no luck.
Meanwhile all my 3 ways are broken and kids afraid of leaving their room at night because they will have to walk in the dark until the other and of the hallway … :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

Take a look at these HowTo’s. Switch to switch is at the bottom.

Zigbee2MQTT
https://community.inovelli.com/docs?topic=10727

ZHA
https://community.inovelli.com/docs?topic=10712

At least for ZHA, the switch to switch How-to instructions are just a copy of binding a switch to a bulb, so they’re somewhat less than ideal. Plus HA has changed the UI a bit. I assume the instructions are just unfinished. (@Eric_Inovelli: Any ETA on having instructions?)

FWIW, Here’s what I did in ZHA:

On the device page for the switch, click the three dots in the Device Info section, and choose Manage Zigbee Device.

Select the Bindings tab.

Choose the other switch under Bindable Devices and click Bind.

(At least for me, the spinner never stopped spinning, but it seemed to work.)

You’ll then need to go to the device page for the other switch and repeat the steps to bind the other way.

3 Likes

Exactly, in this particular document it literally says:

NOTE: Need to update these instructions. It is a copy/paste of the above.

In some other document it will say something like “Place holder, will update tonight” and things like that.

That worked. Thank you.
I have tried it before but only from switch “A” to “B”, it didn’t occur to me I have to do it the other way as well.

2 Likes

@Eric_Inovelli @Bry FYI, think zigbee binding instructions for switch to switch are missing for smartthings. Can You Share them please? Ty

Give me a couple days and I will write something up. Ping me if I forget. I’ve added it to my calendar though. Problem is finding my test setup that was in my old office so that I can figure it out and I need to setup SmartThings in the new office.

@EricM_Inovelli – what endpoint do we use for Inovelli switch to switch bindings?

2 Likes

TY. I think I’ve figured it out, though what I am not sure about is:

1. Should swithes we bound both ways, or only the switch that is not connected to the load should be bound to the switch that is physically controlling the load?
  2. Endpoint code as you mentioned.
  3. Do settings and scenes need to be duplicated for each device, or will the zigbee binding cause settings and actions to be shared accross both devices?

Yes bind both ways or use a group. Here is a group setup with 2x blues, 1x zigbee tuya bulb, and 1x sengled buld

Now bind each blue to the group (blue1 and blue2)

I think if you look at my screenshots it should answer your questions. Basically EP 2 is used to send states and EP 1 receives updates

My habit is to set all automations/actions to act on the load switch. The other switch should mirror any updates.

Should be duplicated if you want equal performance (like ramp times, etc.). Scenes will not be shared.

1 Like

TY. I am using Smarthings though so I’m not sure how I can replicate this. Hopefully Eric is able to publish instructions soon.

@Eric_Inovelli Pinging you. TY

Yep, in SmartThings you will bind each device to the other.

A → B
B → A

@sdbigio – just shot you an email – but here’s the gist of it (copy/paste from the email):

Basically, you’re going to want to follow the directions here: How To's | Setup Zigbee Binding - SmartThings. Prior to that, get the Zigbee ID’s of each Inovelli switch.

In those instructions above, click on your first Inovelli switch and go into the settings (Step 6). Input one (1) where it says, “Bind/Unbind Device Endpoint” and then put your second Inovelli switch Zigbee ID where it says, “Bind Device”.

Then do the same thing but in reverse for your second switch (ie: Endpoint 1 and Switch 1’s Zigbee ID).

I’m hoping to get caught up by the end of the week and I promise I’m trying as hard as I can to put out all these fires. This was on my checklist for you, just a few other fires above yours… maybe one day I’ll have free time!

Keep me posted on if this works.

2 Likes

Hey @Eric_Inovelli ,

Now that I’ve repaced with working switches I am seeing something odd:

I am using 2 x blue series in a three way dimmer setup controling a single (dumb) light. The blue series are zigby binded togther. When adjusting the diming level on the switch which physically controls the light, I notice that the LED bar does not update accordingly to show the dim level on the secondary switch that is not controlling the load. Is this expected behaviour? I assumed that both switches’ LED bars should reflect the dim level regardless of which switch was used to set the dim level.

Yes it should if properly set. Can you show your binding settings please?

Once you have more than 2 devices it’s best to add all devices to a group, then bind each switch to the group. Endpoints matter (per above)!

Thanks. I am using smarthings, so not sure if that can be done (groups) ?

This is settings on the primary switch (connected to load):

This is settings on the 2nd switch where the led level is not mirrowing the first switch:

Note that the ID bound to each switch corresponds with the ID of the other switch.

I got it working. I think possibly the 2nd switch needed to be in smart bulb mode, even though neither bulb is connected to a smart bulb.

Good to hear, and interesting!

Mark as resolved if you got it so others can see in the future more easily.

1 Like

Nice, glad you got it working. I had a heck of a time on ST last night too w/binding and ultimately I had to remove the switch and then re-add it for it to work. I think there was some sort of “ghost” bindings on the switch from all my fooling around with it.

@sdbigio would you be able to share a screenshot of each switch’s Settings? I’m running into the exact same scenario as you were. I’m 99% sure my wiring is correct. This is the diagram for my situation.

I’ve tried all combos of enabling/disabling the Smart Bulb setting too though and have had no luck. When I enable it on the switch that has the line wire direct from the power source, this switch doesn’t respond to On/Off commands, it always remains On. When I enable it on the other switch, this switch doesn’t respond to On/Off commands, it always remains Off.