Blue Series 2-1 Signal / Routing / Performance Issue Troubleshooting Thread

Same for me.

No worries on my end to fill out whatever needs to get filled out. You certainly don’t want bad characters hurting your brand by selling switches with issues.

I also am getting the “you don’t have permission” for the form.

1 Like

I don’t have a Microsoft account, so I can’t login to see that form.

Don’t the IEEE addresses and QR codes contain information that can uniquely identify a switch? I would think you would want people to keep this information between themselves and you (the manufacturer) until a replacement order could be issued. Once a switch is replaced, those identifiers are essentially blacklisted for any potential future replacement attempts. You’ll still want to get these bad switches back because they could still end up listed on eBay (or elsewhere) and sold to unsuspecting buyers that have no idea that what they’re buying is defective and ineligible for replacement.

Do you sell refurbished equipment? If so, I’d imagine you’d want the broken switches back at some point so they could be repaired and resold as refurbs. Maybe work out some sort of small store credit for each return and then resell as refurb at a lower cost? If it doesn’t make sense to try and refurb them, I’d ask the manufacturers who produced the defect to help cover the cost of getting the bad units out of circulation one way or another.

As annoying as it is, you could tell people you’re going to charge them if the defective equipment isn’t returned within some grace period. Also, as others have said, I think an e-mail really needs to go out to everyone who bought these letting them know that bad batches have been identified and that you’re working on a resolution.

4 Likes

ooook… Looks like Microsoft doesn’t allow file upload for people outside of our organization.

Cool.

Hang tight!

Hey @Eric_Inovelli, Google supports file uploads. Get attachments from form respondents - Google Workspace Learning Center

1 Like

I assume R4 is the horizontal resistor with the open pad to the left of it? Do you just move it over or bridge the left side of that resistor to the open pad?

There are 3 pads in the oval. The component is connected between the right two most pads. The best solution is to move this resistor (?) to the left two pads, OR the second best solution is to bridge the left two pads together.

2 Likes

Yes… easiest way is with a hot plate. I used an iron to do it… without magnification. It isn’t fun.

2 Likes

I did it on a hot plate. and had to put a number of components back into place. the 0402 components are scary small. Avoid coffee if doing this. I also flashed mine with generic router fw so we could adjust ctune settings before the hardware flaw was known.

3 Likes

Yea would not recommend moving the component. Here’s my go with a hot plate on bottom and air on top. The antenna immediately decided to leave the board since it had all that weight and barely fits in the pads as it is. Haven’t tested yet, assuming it ever gets back together right.

1 Like

Even though I can’t see the form from your message it sounds fair and keeping bad units off eBay is something I can support wholeheartedly. I’m also happy to ship the bad ones back for recycle if you had a pre-paid label. I’ve kept the shipping box and packaging in case though I’m sure many people may not have.

Thank you, I looked into it too and it mentioned you need to login with a Google account (not sure if everyone has one or not).

I think I found a workaround with Microsoft though :slight_smile:

New form coming shortly!

Hey @Eric_Inovelli, why don’t you utilize gravity forms? I did a sniff via https://builtwith.com to see what you already have that may work and bingo: Gravity Forms came up as something inovelli.com site is already utilizing.

1 Like

Alright all, can you guys let me know if this makes sense? I had to make a workaround at the bottom as Microsoft wouldn’t allow file uploads for external users so instead, I have to, “Request Files” from you. I’m the only one that can see the files.

If so, I’ll send an email out with the official form and start collecting data. Thanks again everyone!

10 Likes

One thing that seems a bit ambiguous to me is that if I list the IEEE numbers in question 3, do I answer Yes or No on 4? It probably doesn’t matter and y’all will figure it out either way, but might be good to explicitly say to answer Yes or whatever.

Question 3 says “The IEEE number will be the 16 characters following the Z: and before the $ as shown in the red box below.”, but I don’t see a red box.

Also, your example IEEE numbers are too short.

Off topic: what are the stickers and QR codes supposed to be for anyway? I didn’t need them to pair. Is there some other method of pairing where you have to enter/scan the IEEE address?

1 Like

Some systems will let you scan the sticker for pairing. They contain the device IEEE and a secure inclusion key that is used to encrypt the network key over the air. If you want gory technical info: https://www.silabs.com/documents/public/application-notes/an1089-using-installation-codes-with-zigbee-devices.pdf

2 Likes

Simple enough and works for me. : )

The forms looks good and not overly burdensome. Happy to complete it.

2 Likes

Would it be helpful to have a field for the number of impacted switches?

Great point. I’ll fix that.

Whoops, yeah that’s my bad. I switched out the picture at the last minute and forgot to update the text. Great catch!

Yeah I suppose that wouldn’t hurt! It will help us cross reference the # of IEEE’s entered to see if there’s a mismatch.