Blue Series 2-1 Signal / Routing / Performance Issue Troubleshooting Thread

There was an email sent back on 11/7, it links to the form (also in this thread) to submit, the relevant IEEE addresses, background info, etc. If you never got that, can check with support, but if you’re here also then it wouldn’t be anything new.

2 Likes

I have never received such an email.

Which worries me more: Who else did not receive any email? And why not? Which other communication have I possible missed?

Thanks for the update. Assuming it will also be shipped in a way where Canadian customers won’t be dinged for taxes a second time on these. I believe there are a few ways to do this such as marking the shipment as warranty replacement or similar.

And here’s a wishful thought: maybe this time we ship Canadian orders first? :smiley:

4 Likes

I received that email.

1 Like

I also never received an email.

2 Likes

Just a quick update as it was utter chaos last week moving to a new HQ. I’m finally settled in and looking forward to updating the list with the other submissions and getting emails out to everyone. I promise I will get it done before Thanksgiving. Honestly, it’s very overwhelming, but I apologize.

Regarding questions around who received an email and who did not, I know it’s buried in this thread but I’ll repeat the explanation for those who have asked.

We currently use Zoho to manage all of our contacts. Anyone who has purchased from us is stored in Shopify and integrates with Zoho so we do have all your contact information on both platforms.

I also use Zoho to send out all the mass emails that some of you (I wish it was all) have gotten. A few months ago, they changed the way their email system works in that anyone who doesn’t specifically opt-in to our mailing list will not get emails. In other words, I loaded all orders into Zoho and when I setup the campaign it says, “Sorry, these contacts cannot receive this message”.

I’ve tried to get them to look into this as well as also let them know that there should be a way to email people in a non-marketing way without breaking the CAN-SPAM laws. But, if you’re at all familiar with Zoho, unfortunately, English does not seem to be their first language.

I realize this isn’t a valid excuse as to why you haven’t received your emails, so as a workaround, I’ve been emailing people from my personal account.

I will scroll through this thread and make sure I’ve captured anyone who I missed the first time or have said they aren’t on the list after I announced it.

If you are not receiving emails, can you comment on this thread for me to make it easier: Blue Series 2-1 Switch Pre-Order Email Thread

Regarding the question on whether or not we want the switches back, it’s probably buried in this thread as well, but I’ll say it again too – no, we will let you keep the defective switches as in some cases, we’ve found that with a strong mesh network, they seem to work just fine. Either way, you’re entitled to a new switch if your IEEE falls into the listed defective ones.

Hopefully no one sells these on the black market, but as it was pointed out by a few of you, this is why we captured your name, IEEE number, why I required a picture of your QR code (so you can’t just make it up, then sell it on the black market) and why it’s taken so dang long for me to create the list bc I’m manually verifying everything.

In terms of who is shipping the replacements, we opted to take this one ourselves and is one of the reasons why we moved HQ’s – so that we have a dock and a warehouse and can fulfill orders ourselves again. It was a good experiment to outsource things, but we’re taking it back and Courtney will be mailing out everything.

Hopefully I got everything – if not, I’m happy to answer any more questions!

26 Likes

I just today bought out their entire remaining inventory (AARTech Canada) for a build in progress (their last 18- not sure how many they had). THEN I found this thread, so I will be sure to check all the IEEE numbers before trying to install any.

I bought a Sonoff zbdongle-e (EFR32MG21 chip) to see if switching zigbee chipsets helped. I was using the Sonoff zbdongle-p (CC2652P chip) as a coordinator when I was having all these issues. The zbdongle-e doesn’t work well with zigbee2mqtt, it’s marked as experimental and crashed a lot trying to join devices.

So I decided to give ZHA a try since it seemed to support the EFR32MG21 well. It works a lot better! I’m not sure if it’s the different dongle or if it’s ZHA vs Zigbee2MQTT, but ZHA with the zbdongle-e is performing far more reliably than z2m ever did with the zbdongle-p.

The ZHA network map looks a lot more correct than the Z2M one ever did. It’s got a proper star topology with the (good IEEE) blue series routing to all the Sengled bulbs which only act as end devices. Time will tell how stable this setup is. There were a few hiccups setting it up but the network finally appears to be fairly stable.

Fingers crossed that the WAF might finally start to improve… :rofl:

Thanks for sharing this. I also have a Sonoff Dongle-P on Z2M and it’s been a total nightmare! I have 10-20 devices going off line every day (this all started after installing a few of the new switches). I also purchased a EFR32MG21 Dongle-E to try, because it’s based off the same MG21 chipset that’s used in the Blue 2-1 switches. I was questioning if I wanted go through the effort to migrate to ZHA, but based off your experience, I seem like it might be worth it.

@Eric_Inovelli i do not get the emails. How do I opt in as that may be the issue?

2 Likes

@kevin.espinosa As Eric mentioned above, you can comment on the thread he linked here: Blue Series 2-1 Switch Pre-Order Email Thread

2 Likes

Question on the form submission. Step 5 states:

“ Upload your data (QR Code pictures and/or IEEE CSV File) from step 4 to the following link: inov.li/vzm31snreplacement and then select, “Yes” below.”

Focusing on the and/or here…if we submitted the CSV file we don’t need to submit pictures? Or do I need to submit the form again with pictures AND CSV?

1 Like

Thank you @tlarson! I misread Eric’s post (read it too fast to comment on “this” post) so appreciate you pointing out the link I completely overlooked!

3 Likes

I think if you submitted the csv, that suffices. You probably saved him time by not having to manually input data from pictures. He could copy and paste from csv data and validate the codes.

@ddlovely108 I believe Eric would still like a photo in step 5 as stated in his response above:

1 Like

I had 18/20 affected switches. My mesh only has 1 other router. I had really bad problems after installing 7 of the switches, but when I installed the rest, the mesh is strong enough for most of the switches to work most of the time. It’ll do the job until the replacements arrive.

(I also ended up removing some wifi bulbs so I could use local dimming)

1 Like

I got the email and filled out the form (9 of my 10-pack were in the bad set) but never got a confirmation email or a ticket or anything. Are those incoming or is there a way to verify our form got submitted correctly?

1 Like

We will be sending out a confirmation email to everyone who filled out the form - but this might be a few weeks off still. We are running behind trying to check everything and match up orders - it is a tedious process. And being only a team of 4, with two people out this holiday week has made things a bit harder.

So just to confirm…everyone WILL receive an email who has filled out the form with a confirmation, it will just not be coming immediately.

12 Likes

Could you crowd source some of the work to us?

2 Likes

There’s no actual urgency on completing the form verifications because nothing can be done until the next batch of switches arrives from manufacturing, anyway.

I’m sure they’ll have it all sorted out after the holiday and still with plenty of time to spare before there are replacement units available to send to the affected customers.

3 Likes