Blue Series 2-1 Signal / Routing / Performance Issue Troubleshooting Thread

For 04:0d:84:ff:fe:02:b5:1f (the one I’m having the most trouble with, 4 nearby devices within 8 feet not listed as neighbors):

For 04:0d:84:ff:fe:05:f6:fb (this is the best behaved switch despite the low reported lqi)

For 04:0d:84:ff:fe:02:b4:97 (this one occasionally reports LQI around 150ish, then it drops):

This device is NOT and Inovelli (3210-L plug in switch), but it on the same network. I’m providing this as a point of reference to compare the performance of other devices in my network. This is a plug in switch behind a refrigerator on the 1st floor of the house, near an outside wall, and farther away from the coordinator than any of the Inovelli switches. Notice the very high reported LQI for the Inovelli devices (the two dimmer switches) it has listed as neighbors:

Edit: I was planning to swap channels today to 25 to see if that helps, but if a solution is forthcoming I may hold off so that a comparison can be made. I have verified that my 2.4ghz wifi is on channel 11 (HT20, from a single access point) and my zigbee network is on 15. A wifi scan shows some low power networks from my neighbors on 1 and 6 (around -90 to -85 db, so quite low). Any other info you need I will provide. I’m willing to flash coordinators, change channels, move switches, or whatever else would help.

Edit 2: here is a wifi scan for 2.4 GHZ. I redacted the SSID of my network (not that it matters, but you can tell which one it is).

04 and 94 prefixes here for both of my poor performers (94 worse one). Not sure 3rd one that never paired and 4th still in box.

I can definitely bench test over here if needed. My coordinator is on Home Assistant in Windows PC VM.

1 Like

I’m definitely one of the least tech-savvy people on here. Willing to provide any data or information I can to help. Am I able to see IEEE on SmartThings? I don’t see it in the settings or information. I dabble in home automation but it seems most folks are using other more sophisticated hubs than ST!

2 Likes

No worries, I used smartthings for a while too. Nice plug an play option. Some of us see this as a hobby (when significant others are away at least), but not all and we are all paying $50 for a switch that should just work. Don’t feel bad or lesser lol:slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol don’t feel bad – I’m using ST too and am not the most tech savvy person either (only been able to pick it up bc there are so many power users in the forums). Luckily the other Eric has that skillset.

I just checked SmartThings IDE to see if we can see this data and it appears that anything paired with an Edge Driver is not showing any of the data we need :confused:

1 Like

Right, the edge drivers only show “placeholder” now and since we can’t use custom handlers anymore I just can’t see the info. Hopefully there is enough data from other hub users to resolve the issue.

Apologies for the dumb questions, but I run Z2M as an addon inside HA (which is in a VM). In the Z2M GUI, I already set logging level to debug, and so I see this in my config file already:

Following your link, should I also be following this portion?

If so, where do I add that text line on this page?

Edit: I think I figured it out. When I checked “show unused optional config options,” a herdsman_debug toggle appeared, which I have now enabled. I’ll try some more re-interview attempts and will try to provide fuller logs.

@Eric_Inovelli can you (or anyone) tell me how/if I can find the IEEE addresses for devices that I stupidly and excitedly pulled out of the box before realizing that the IEEE address stickers were under them? I have 3 installed in my walls, only 1 will connect, and another 6 are sitting on my table that I took out of the 10 pack already. Is the only way to get the IEEEs at this point to connect them to Z2M in Home Assistant?

Eyoooo. Always good to be on the trail.

of the 8 switches I have installed:

six are 94:34:69:ff:fe:08:XX:XX average reported LQI via ZHA of ~35
two are 94:34:69:ff:fe:05:XX:XX average reported LQI via ZHA of ~55

I plan on installing 3 in the same box at some point to see if the routing behavior changes with close proximity.

It may be a pain, but IIRC the sticker should have a QR code that matches the one applied to the switch, so you just have to match them up

1 Like

Like playing “Where’s Waldo!”

1 Like

Edit: For some reason I keep NOT responding right. Reposting and deleted the original. Sry!

There is a QR on the switch, right? I don’t have a photo that shows one, but if it does, you don’t need to match them visually to the one that was included in the box. Just use a QR app on your phone and scan the code. The first two characters returned will be z:, and the next 16 characters is the IEEE code (everything up to the next $ sign).

2 Likes

The two switches I have installed so far which are both giving me issues are
38:5B:44:FF:FE:EE:XX:XX, and
38:5B:44:FF:FE:E8:XX:XX

Not sure if the differing ID in the 6th block on the second switch is significant.

1 Like

I think it’s only the first 4 or 5 blocks that are significant but I still need to confirm

1 Like

I have installed 11/20 so far.

• 38:5B:44:FF:FE:EE (will not pair, never even seen, nearby Hue outdoor sensor has LQI 145)
  • 38:5B:44:FF:FE:EE (LQI 0, unreliable operation, closest switch to coordinator, 10-12ft LOS)
  • 94:34:69:FF:FE:08 (LQI 18)
  • 94:34:69:FF:FE:08 (LQI 123, in same switch box as above, odd the different LQI)
  • 94:34:69:FF:FE:08 (LQI 58)
  • 94:34:69:FF:FE:08 (LQI 36, in 4x switch box)
  • 04:0D:84:FF:FE:06 (LQI 40, in 4x switch box)
  • 04:0D:84:FF:FE:02 (LQI 58, in 4x switch box)
  • 94:DE:B8:FF:FE:F4 (LQI 36, in 4x switch box)
  • 38:5B:44:FF:FE:E8 (LQI 47)
  • 38:5B:44:FF:FE:EE (LQI 40, in same switch box as above)

-Edit- Clarifying things. The first 2 switches are 38:5B and have serious issues. One doesn’t pair at all and the other took many attempts and now works unreliably. The next 7 switches in my list are not 38:5B and they appear to work fine, though I’ve only sent a few test commands through so I don’t know for sure yet. The last two, back to the 38:5B batch, appear to work but I’ve only sent a couple test commands so far. At least one responded much slower than the other 7 working switches. I’m not sure about the other yet. I’ll do more testing tomorrow.

For my uninstalled switches, 3 of the 9 are either 38:5B:44:FF:FE:EE or 38:5B:44:FF:FE:E8. There is no way my kids would let me do this today but tomorrow I can try to remove the non-working 38:5B switches to see if a different batch works in the same location. I can also install any of the 38:5B in a location where a different batch works to see if it stops.

I pulled the stickers once someone referenced that the IEEE is on there. Mine all start with either 38:5B:44 or 94:34:69

Just to add my experience, so far I have 1 out of 10 switches that I’ve installed so far that refuses to pair. Initially it was quite far from any other devices but I’ve since added many more switches on the path in that direction as well as adding a smart plug to act as a router and the behavior is the same. Based on the feedback here I’m going to try swapping it out with a new one and I’ll grab the address once I do that.

Edit: And the new one I installed is also refusing to pair… Not super jazzed about just swapping it out over and over until I find one that works

My switch info:
943469FFFE05CD5D Not Connected
943469FFFE088EF2 LQI 0
385B44FFFEEE1A22 Not Connected
385B44FFFEEE17A3 LQI 0
385B44FFFEE8ECF2 LQI 234

Any update from the engineers?

Yes, they are sorting through the various batches to find the IEEE’s in question. They’ve tested another batch to ensure there are no issues and have not found any (as referenced in the reports below).

Here are the reports for reference (I know it doesn’t help the situation, but I at least wanted to add some credibility to my statements so you guys don’t think I’m just pulling stuff out of thin air).

I’m hoping for more news tonight and will continue to press them on it.

3 Likes