Blue Series 2-1 Switch - Enhancements/Bugs Thread

Cross-posting this here since it may be relevant to the current discussion: Blue 2-1 - Z2M, Groups, Binding, and Multi-Press Actions Troubleshooting

*Sonoff 3.0 P-dongle with latest z-stack firmware
*Bulbs on shipped firmware
*Running most recent Z2M release
*Switch wired to smart bulbs and Aux switch, in Smart Bulb mode

Signal quality to the switch is strong and reliable. However, whenever it is bound to a ZigBee light group, actions are not received by Z2M even if I “wake” up the switch with other presses beforehand (no messages in the log for the switch_name/action topic, only what appear to be state change messages for the switch). The switch still reliably controls the bound lights however. I’ve tested with some Juno ceiling wafers and recent Hue bulbs with the same results.

If unbound and removed from the group, actions reliably are received by Z2M with no “waking” necessary.

Based on this, at least in my case it does not seem to be a signal quality issue, but some conflict with ZigBee binding.

1 Like

I’ve got a feature request for 3-way setups involving a Blue 2-1 and an White Aux switch. I have a couple White Aux switches that I purchased with my Blue 2-1 10pk, and I’m still planning out locations for all of them. In most scenarios, I want the behavior that exists today and is documented, i.e. that presses on the Aux switch behave the same and send the same events as the same press on the main switch (“double-tap down on the Aux/Add-On switch, the 2-1 switch will send a, “Button 2 - Held” event to the hub”).

However, I have at least one 3-way circuit where it would be useful to configure the Blue 2-1 to send different events for button presses on the Aux switch. That’s assuming the Blue 2-1 has the ability to differentiate in the first place, but that seems likely. Any chance of getting a new feature and config parameter for this?

Not sure if if this is a bug or as intended. I think it used to work differently.

DefaultLed[1-7]IntensityWhenOn is limited at whatever the Synchronized value is. Meaning, if I manually set the value below the Synchronized value it will visually change. But, if it is set higher it will only visually go to the Synchronized value never higher.

IntensityWhenOff works as expected where is will use the manually set value no matter what the Synchronized is.

This is fixed in the latest firmware release. The events were being sent to the group.

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ll have to get that updated ASAP.

Edit: Based on the changelog, sounds like the most recent beta firmware does fix the endpoint destination, but introduced a bug that prevents group binding and requires individual binding instead. Might wait for that bug to resolved before upgrade, but good to know it’s in the works.

The activePowerReports parameter doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me. All my switches seem to be reporting for every 0.1W change, which is causing a lot of zigbee traffic…

debug 2022-11-12 10:25:50:832: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":177}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:25:56:804: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":176}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:00:789: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":177}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:06:791: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":176}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:08:762: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":177}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:10:763: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":176}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:18:724: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":177}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:22:713: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":176}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:24:713: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":177}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:26:715: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":176}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:34:689: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":177}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0
debug 2022-11-12 10:26:36:660: Received Zigbee message from 'Laundry Light', type 'attributeReport', cluster 'haElectricalMeasurement', data '{"activePower":176}' from endpoint 1 with groupID 0

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli New driver bug report (I think)…

In Smartthings, when 2-in-1 is set to on/off mode the driver still displays dimming level which is adjustable and sticks. I’m not certain if it is actually adjusting the output but I would assume it should not be availible when the switch is set to on/off or at minimum the user should not be able to adjust it.

New feature request: toggle mode. I use this on every Zooz switch in my zwave mesh… I like to just slap at the wall without precision and have the light change state, regardless of which part of the paddle I actually hit.

3 Likes

I’ll see if I can get the driver to change the profile based on a specific setting. For reference though, adjusting the level when the device is in on/off mode doesn’t actually adjust the level (unless you set the level to 0 I believe, which will turn the switch off).

1 Like

I second that. It only make sense for a dimmer to allow its users to:

1. Turn the lights on and off
  2. Set the desired level
  3. Easily jump to full brightness.
  4. Easily jump to the a pre-determined level for that room (call it comfort level, relaxing level, night light, or whatever that might be).

It already does 1 to 3 and 4 should be a firmware change so… an easy one? :sunglasses:

From an user experience perspective, that can provide complete lighting control through an intuitive and simple “user interface” that is consistent across the home (all switches) and will work regardless of hub support.

I can tell from experience. My family started adopting these same features from Zooz switches through the house hours after I installed them a while back. And as expected, it was their number one complain when I moved to the RED series and they lost it.

My installer just installed our first Blue switch this last weekend. We have a couple of red ones.

The first thing he mentioned was the non-professional screws.

It’s his preference when working on a large job to just use the square bit with an electric drive for electrical work all day long.

1 Like

The Reds have Robertson screws. Future releases of the Blues will as well.

3 Likes

@EricM_Inovelli Just checking if this is a bug or how the switch is intended to work?

Chiming in that I also had this happen on a switch, but you only do it once! Now I check for it when wiring my ground.

I’m having a hard time understanding the question. :confused: Can either of you re-phrase it a different way so its easier to understand the issue :thinking: State the specific parameters you are using and even better if you can post some screenshots.

It already does all 4. Set Param 13 to the desired ‘comfort’ level. If light is off just turn it on and it will go to that level. If the light is on at a different level a quick tap of down/up will set it to the ‘comfort’ level

state: off
defaultLed7IntensityWhenOff: 101 = Syncronized

state: off
defaultLed7IntensityWhenOff: 100
(This works as expected, led7 overrides the sync value and goes to 100%)

state: on
brightness: 255
defaultLed7IntensityWhenOn: 101 = Syncronized

brightness: 255
defaultLed7IntensityWhenOn: 0
(This works as expected, led7 overrides the sync value and goes to 0%)

brightness: 1
defaultLed7IntensityWhenOn: 101 = Syncronized

brightness: 1
defaultLed7IntensityWhenOn: 100
(This does not work as expected, led7 should overrides the sync value and go to 100%. However it never goes higher than the sync value)

defaultLed[1-7]IntensityWhenOff Always Works
defaultLed[1-7]IntensityWhenOn only works when less than Syncronized Brightness

Hmm… I’m on home assistant so the parameters exposed through the user interface are not numbered but based on this document I can tell 13 is default level for when the light is turned on.

Here is a hypothetical scenario:

1. Bedroom lights are too bright so we set the default level to 70%, which is easy on the eyes for every day tasks.
  2. At any time they can double tap to full brightness making it really bright (e.g: home work time, cleaning and so on).
  3. When sleeping, relaxing, maybe watching a movie or even when the room is empty and you want to use the right amount of light to give it that cozy feeling, you need that 3rd pre-set that is missing (which Zooz called night-light i believe).

Basically double tapping the bottom paddle will bring it to a level that is not your default and neither full brightness.

3 Likes

Ahh good example. I understand it now and agree a double-tap down feature similar to double-tap up would be a nice (and logical) enhancement. I’ll post it to github

Edit: created GitHub issue #134 Enhancement request double-tap down similar to double tap up

2 Likes

Any update on a fix for reporting state changes on manual button presses? Using Zigbee2MQTT…

1 Like