Blue Series 2-1 Switch - Enhancements/Bugs Thread

I’m not sure if this is a bug or if I have this configured wrong. I have set up three switches so far and they all do the same thing.

When using Non-Zigbee smart bulbs. Using both the built in Home Assistant Automations as well as Node Red, I set an automation to watch for a state change on the switch and turn the smart bulb on/off when it detects the switch turn “On” or “Off”.

However, Home Assistant isn’t registering the state change unless I go into Zigbee2MQTT and hit refresh (which defeats the purpose of the automation.)

Setup:
Inovelli Blue 2-in-1 (Smart Bulb Mode)
Home Assistant 2022.10.5
Supervisor 2022.10.0
Operating System 9.3
Frontend 20221010.0 - latest
Zigbee2MQTT version: 1.28.1-1
Home Assistant Automations OR Node Red

I am able to get around this by having the automation watch for an action of “up_single” or “down_single” for the on and off commands, but it seems odd the state doesn’t change.

Now I need to figure out how to match the non-Zigbee bulb brightness to the Inovelli switch LED indicator

1 Like

Listening for switch commands is pretty much the standard way to do this for all types of devices. Unless they are all zigbee devices part of the same group you cant expect the state to have any meaning and even then the state info will probably be limited. The switch has no idea what it is powering.

If it’s anything like the red series someone will come up with a node red template or blueprint that will cover most of the standard switch commands.

1 Like

Button changes is a good way to go, but a working switch state is still necessary. My first guess is that the switch does not report when its state changes (as opposed to a z2m bug).

Is this possibly a variation of this issue? I have noticed that tap events don’t get sent unless I first turn on the switch. Then tap events work until ~90 seconds have elapsed then they stop reporting again.

2 Likes

Use the single press scenes. It will immediately start turning on/off the bulbs. Otherwise it will wait until it’s “off” after ramping down before it’ll start ramping down the bulbs.

I agree the on/off state should be updated. Worked for me in ZHA well, so not sure what’s up with Z2M.

I had my 2-1 installed yesterday by an electrician. I told them immediately it was a smart switch and to pay attention how to install it. The electrician didn’t think twice and looked at the switch and the wires (he didn’t setup the wires in the walls). He skimmed the instructions and while helpful to me they weren’t to him. All he cared about was the three wiring options that are on the link, but not the booklet.

As soon as we loaded those he was able to test the load and traveler and install.

2 recommendations following this experience:

1. Add the wiring schematics to the booklet
  2. Remind everyone to do the 5 click setup for the switch to figure out 2 or 3 way

Other than figuring out the wiring the electrician had no issues installing the switch. He was actually delighted to have figured it out including the software setup.

1 Like

^^^THIS^^^

And make the sticker look like a big red stop sign

Maybe this isn’t actually a good idea, but I was thinking if parameter 50, Switch Delay, is set to 0, it might be nice if the switch activated on button press, rather than release. That would make it work even more like a dumb switch.

2 Likes

Maybe this isn’t actually a good idea, but I was thinking if parameter 50, Switch Delay, is set to 0, it might be nice if the switch activated on button press, rather than release. That would make it work even more like a dumb switch.

It makes sense for on/off mode. In dimmer mode, how does the user adjust brightness. only via apps? :thinking:

I know Aqara H1/E1 on-off switches do ‘trigger on button press’ and ikea tradfri remotes do ‘trigger on button release’ so both approaches make sense.

Hmm, good point. I think it’d still work for increasing brightness–if it’s off, it turns on to the default level as soon as the up button is pressed. If you hold the button, the brightness increases. But decreasing the brightness is a problem if it turns off as soon as you press down.

1 Like

Has anyone seen config button press events not show in ZHA unless the switch has been used in the last minute or so?

I’m seeing similar behavior with zigbee2mqtt, but not only the config button and not necessarily after a minute or so. Home Assistant receiving tap events seems to be intermittent at best; a tap event will come through and then moments later, the next tap won’t. This seems to only be an issue with events from the switch; I can send led_effects or toggle on/off from HA all day long and the switch reliably responds to every event from HA. I did notice that disabling Smart Bulb Mode seems to make tap events from the switch show up more regularly, but it still usually requires multiple switch taps before they do. Unfortunately, I need Smart Bulb Mode for my use case so it’s not a viable work around for me.

It’s anecdotal, but behavior was not this inconsistent prior to updating to FW v2.05, but I did notice it. This switch is in the 94:DE:B8 range, so I don’t think it’s affected by the manufacturing issue that was identified. LQI has been around 110 (and most of my other zigbee devices are routing through the switch just fine).

Edit:
Forgot to mention I’m using a Sonoff Plus-E dongle.

1 Like

I’m using the auto-off timer setting on a switch, and it’s great, but is there a way to make the LEDs animate to show the time remaining (IE fade from top to bottom as the timer counts down)?

1 Like

Yeah I’m also seeing the button events fire very intermittently in ZHA, not anything near enough reliable to use. On/off state transitions seem reliable. As a counterpoint to your anecdote @xenokira, I’m not on the beta firmware (still v2.00) and the button events are still incredibly unreliable for me.

My LQI is very low (10-20) so I’d think that was the cause, if not for 1) the on/off state transitions seeming reliable and 2) seeing many others report the same issue with button events. This is the only other device besides the coordinator in my Zigbee network currently so I’m waiting to see if the LQI improves once I install another switch closer to the coordinator, since this one is a ways down the hall.

I’ve only installed one of my 10pk so far while I was figuring out how to integrate them into HA, and none of mine are in the manufacturing issue range. The one I have installed so far has an 04:0D:84 prefix.

Regarding the lack of button events from ZHA…I just noticed lots of errors from zigpy in my HomeAssistant logs as I do various button clicks.

I’m currently on HA 2022.10.5, and from the ZHA diag dump that seems to be using zha-quirks 0.0.83. I know that zha-quirks is a couple releases ahead of that now and there are some recent changes for these switches, but I’m unsure if any of the changes are related to this nor how or if it’s possible to update ZHA outside the standard HA release process.

One instance:

Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  | 2022-11-06 16:31:35.222 ERROR (MainThread) [zigpy_znp.uart] Received an exception while passing frame to API: TransportFrame(payload=GeneralFrame(header=CommandHeader(id=0xB1, subsystem=Subsystem.ZDO, type=CommandType.AREQ), data=b'\x6B\xD3\x2F\x12\x3F\x00\x01\x00'))
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  | Traceback (most recent call last):
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy_znp/uart.py", line 72, in data_received
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  |     self._api.frame_received(frame.payload)
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy_znp/api.py", line 810, in frame_received
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  |     command = command_cls.from_frame(frame, align=self.nvram.align_structs)
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  |   File "/usr/local/lib/python3.10/site-packages/zigpy_znp/types/commands.py", line 433, in from_frame
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  |     raise ValueError(
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  | ValueError: Frame GeneralFrame(header=CommandHeader(id=0xB1, subsystem=Subsystem.ZDO, type=CommandType.AREQ), data=b'\x6B\xD3\x2F\x12\x3F\x00\x01\x00') contains trailing data after parsing: b'\x01\x00'
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  | 2022-11-06 16:31:35.228 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x0000:zdo] Unknown ZDO cluster 0xfc31
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  | 2022-11-06 16:31:35.230 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0x0000:zdo] Unknown ZDO cluster 0xfc31
Nov 06 16:31:35 bryanNAS docker[2322493]: homeassistant  | 2022-11-06 16:31:35.232 WARNING (MainThread) [zigpy.zdo] [0xd36b:zdo] Unknown ZDO cluster 0xfc31
1 Like

Shouldn’t be too difficult to create an automation to change colours or LED effects every X number of minutes or seconds until the timeout happens. I’ll see if I can whip something up in Node Red.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same as you for Z2M. I have to give a single up tap to “wake up” the switch then all the other button taps will register but if the switch isn’t used for ~90 seconds typically those button taps stop registering. The odd the thing though is that occasionally I don’t have to wake up the switch and the other button taps come right through. LQI is in the 120’s for the switch in question. :man_shrugging:

It doesn’t seem as simple as a “wake up” as I’ve seen it referred to elsewhere. Do you see button events delivered consistently after a tap up to turn on? It does seem like switching off to on triggers some difference in behavior and some events get through, but at least for me button events still aren’t delivered consistently after doing so.

1 Like

Are you using bindings?

For everyone having issues w/ consistent event delivery it would be very helpful to know what the configuration of the switch is:

Smart bulb / local protection?
Is the switch bound to devices or groups directly
Etc…

I do see consistent delivery after turning on the switch but I haven’t done extensive testing to see if everything comes through or not since I’m mostly interested in double tap up events for the switch in question. I’ll see if I can test it some more after work and watch the MQTT messages.

2 Likes