Blue Series Fan Switch Firmware Changelog | VZM35-SN

Sorry if this is common knowledge, but this FW is filed under “Beta”, is there a promotion cadence for them or is all non-manufacture time firmware considered beta? Should we apply this now or wait for any amount of time?

Personally, I would wait unless this is some switch that is in some lightly used room and you want to try the new stuff out. I released the fw to our beta testers about a week ago and some of them installed it, but I don’t think they have tested out many of the new features yet. Especially since we are still working on the drivers and converter updates.

Updates are there for SmartThings I believe and should be available for z2m, zha, and Hubitat not too far in the future.

OK, awesome. I’m on Hubitat and will hang out til we see an announcement of a GA version. Will they come in this same format? I’ve never been actively awaiting one like this before, so sorry for the questions.

I also need to figure out how to work around the fact that a handful of mine are deployed in parts of the house that the firmware transfer seems to time out :thinking:

Yeah, they will come in the same format. FYI, I did just push a driver update that has the extra parameters for Hubitat. There is still a little more work that needs to be done on it though.

1 Like

This beta made the max speed magically start working on my switch (it was only toggling between low/medium until now). Everything on it seems to be stable and works fine for me, so far!

1 Like

Feedback: the new single tap mode should absolutely be default. Treating the switch as a dimmer by default is unintuitive and granular percentage settings is a corner case that few people will actually use.

1 Like

I had the opportunity to update to this firmware and test over the weekend. This is fantastic that Inovelli was responsive and able to get this done. This “New Method” is so much better, and I agree it should be the default.

With that said though, I am going to stick with my workaround developed through Home Assistant automations for this switch, even though I would much prefer this be handled at the switch for those times when HA may not be available (and because of the slight lag). I have my automation configured such that each up press cycles up through the speeds, if it’s on high, it cycles back to low; and obviously a down press turns it off. If it’s off an up press returns to last state.

I know it is impossible for Inovelli to satisfy every use case, but to me/my family when a down paddle is pressed something should turn off. I LOVE that each up press increases the speed, but HATE that if the fan is on medium or high, it requires 2 or 3 down presses to turn it off. Yes, it is consistent and even intuitive (when you take a minute to think about it), but it isn’t convenient when you just want to turn it off.

1 Like

I hear you and that does make sense. I am thinking there might need to be a different mode that functions the way you are describing (so 3 in total). I also think that one of those new modes should be default. The strange thing is that I don’t think we got that initial feedback from the beta testers (before product launch). Come on guys! :slight_smile: I’ll request this with the firmware team and see if we can get it done.

I’m mostly joking, our beta testers rock.

2 Likes

Wow! I didn’t expect a response, especially that one, but I’m certainly appreciative it is something that will be entertained!

1 Like

I’m talking about it with the engineer to see what he thinks of your idea, but I did want to mention that you should be able to set parameter 54 & 56 to double tap the switch to turn it off. That is just another alternative that some might not have thought of yet.

Any word from the firmware team on this? I love the idea of being able to cycle between fan speeds, but not having a 1 touch off makes it a non-starter for me. Also, any thoughts of adding this functionality to the Blue 2-1s? Being able to toggle between low, medium, and high dimmer settings would be awesome.

Anyone get the new firmware to work on Home Assistant? After updating, my configuration only shows this:

Screenshot 2024-02-02 at 14.36.28

A new Z2M (1.35.2) was just release that included a fix for the new fan firmware.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m currently using ZHA so that’s probably why.

PR in ZHA was merged 3 days ago. I imagine it will be in one of the Feb core updates

3 Likes

Yes on both questions. We are adding it to both devices.

I’m slightly confused on how we enabled custom length fan timers with v1.05?

I used to just set the AutoTimerOff field to the time I wanted. When the switch was tapped up (once), the timer would start. How do I get back to enabling this same functionality again?

Using zigbee2mqtt. I have the current release pulled in, not seeing anything in the zigbee2mqtt UI related to fanTimerMode

Should be called " AutoTimerOff"

does fanTimerMode mode have be 1 for this to work now?

@Blubaru I believe it has to be 0 for it to work. If it is set to 1 then it uses the new timer mode.