Blue Series Fan Switch showing as light rather than fan entity in Home Assistant

We will be releasing a firmware update that includes another endpoint that is a fan endpoint. In zha it should have a dimmer endpoint and a fan endpoint that both control the fan. Users can disable the dimmer endpoint if they would like (or the fan endpoint). The reason we keep the dimmer endpoint is so that the device can be bound to dimmer devices and control them remotely.

@EricM_Inovelli Are there any updates to this? I’ve setup a template to emulate a fan device type, but have been unable to get the switch to update to the beta firmware.

@anthony.hamill I believe if you update to the HA that came out today, the 1.07 firmware should eventually show up. We are testing their new update method in this new release.

@EricM_Inovelli I’ve updated HASS core and it now says my firmware version is “up-to-date”, but I’m still on 1.04. I’m assuming that’s because 1.07 is still in beta.

Update - the new firmware has downloaded and the device is showing the new FW version, but I’m still only seeing the light entity.

1 Like

I was able to see the fan entity when I removed it from my zigbee network, then re-added it (now that I’m on 1.07) using ZHA. The strange thing for me is when I click to turn on, it says power at 66% (even though it’s set as on/off switch and max level is set in parameters). I noticed the same for the VZM36 module, which I do have set as a ceiling fan - it turns on at 66% too.

66 = Medium Speed. You should be able to either increase it within HA or by holding up on the switch and see it go to 100 if that’s what you’re looking for?

Yes, I can get it to go to 100, by doing that, but when I turn off then later turn back on, either via switch or HA, it always comes back to displaying 66 (medium), even though the power actually is set full.

Oh I see what you’re saying, it should be going back to the previous value, but instead it looks like turning on the fan entity goes to 50% (turns on and sends a move to level 128), which would show up as 66 or Medium Speed as it’ll get rounded up with those 3 possible speeds.

Compared with using the light entity, I see the off/on behavior respecting the previously set level. That makes me think this appears to be an issue with how that fan portion has been set up. Tagging @EricM_Inovelli for follow up/tracking.

@scottb I’m not sure yet how to fix it, but it looks like ZHA is sending a command with “medium” value when you turn the fan on. It should be sending “on” I believe. I can confirm that this doesn’t happen on Z2M.

2024-05-02 19:50:44.815 DEBUG (MainThread) [zigpy.zcl] [0x0567:2:0x0202] Sending request: Write_Attributes(attributes=[Attribute(attrid=0x0000, value=TypeValue(type=FanMode, value=<FanMode.Medium: 2>))])

If it is in On/Off mode it should only use the high speed even though the level is not showing correctly. So it shouldn’t cause any problems with the fan, but I see that it is confusing an will see if I can figure out what is going on in ZHA.