Blue switch getting very hot with bathroom exhaust fan

After the fan is on for a couple minutes the switch becomes very hot. If you touch the faceplate screws, they’ll burn you.

The fan is only using about 80 watts of power. The fan itself is a little over a year old, but its builder grade, so its possible its failing.

Any ideas what is happening here?

1 Like

Blue switch is not rated for inductive loads (e.g. bath or ceiling fans.

2 Likes

This is the proper switch to use with a fan. Remove that 2-1 from the fan!!!

5 Likes

Ahh, that’ll do it, thanks!

Hijacking this thread because now I’m wondering if I have an issue. (I didn’t think I did, but now after reading this, I’m worried.)

In my bathroom, one of the lights and a fan are on the same circuit. Like, you turn on the switch and they both go on. I have a red on-off switch (the original red, not the 800-series 2-in-1) on that circuit. Is that a bad idea? Should I swap it out? If so, what should I put there instead, if the blue fan switch isn’t rated for bulbs and a switch designed for bulbs isn’t rated for fans? Thanks!

Im running a UltraPro 39354 for an exhaust fan in my laundry room(runs based on a motion sensor for my cats using the litterbox). Its rated for small motors.This switch is Identical to a GE Enbrighten 46202.

You’re good with the LZW30 model. That on/off was designed for small motor loads. If you have the dimmer version, then I would say you have an issue.

Edit just make sure you’re not exceeding the current limits.

1 Like