Blue switch - not as bright when fully lit?

I’m on 2.08 via Z2M as well.

It’s REALLY hard to capture the difference on camera (I need to get a neutral filter), but for me, the difference is being able to stare directly into the bulb in perpetuity on the Blue, whereas it hurts my eyes and I have to look away within half a second using the dumb switch. For my use case (ceiling lights in the garage) it really just doesn’t get very bright using the Blues, to the point where my SO, which is incredibly insensitive to hardware changes, asked out of the blue “is the garage dimmer than it was before?” Yes, yes it is.

Here are the photos I’ve been able to take in RAW mode (same ISO/shutter across shots). The only thing you can really notice is the size of the hotspot in the middle, which is noticeably larger on the non-Inovelli setup:
Dumb switch:
https://imgur.com/Gf5KxEg.jpg

Inovelli Blue:
https://imgur.com/rczX8nc.jpg

1 Like

Yes, it appears so. Just says, “power output issue for non-neutral at max value”. The more I thought about this, the more I think it did fix the dim level on one of my setups.

That’s the problem with having a smart home but also using it as a beta testing house… I can’t remember what switch is on what version lol.

I had a chandelier that has 6 Philips Candelabra bulbs (non-smart) and I had some flickering at the highest level (I know it’s slightly different than yours) and the only way to fix it was to minimize the max level. I think I went down to like 60% output. It didn’t seem like it was much of a difference, but I do wear glasses, so who knows. I know some people are more sensitive to lux (not making fun, I’m serious).

Anyway, I know for a fact I updated that one to 2.10 and it eliminated the occasional flickering and I’ve had it at 95% ever since and did notice a difference in brightness.

But the one I want to test is my basement stairs – I believe that one is on 2.08 and it is dimmer than it was previous with a dumb switch. I made no adjustments to max level on this one so I will be able to tell right away if it gets brighter after the firmware update.

1 Like

@Eric_Inovelli Thank you for all the prompt attention. This is why I go with you guys.

2 Likes

Yeah no problem, let’s hope we can get to the bottom of this! Ping me here if you don’t hear back in a few days. I don’t mean to forget, I just get side tracked easily!

1 Like

Lux meter app on a phone?

1 Like

I think the LEDs are little too bright for the exposed luxmeter, but if I can find an ND filter, this might be a good way to measure the brightness.

I also have a bunch of home assistant integrated luminance sensors that could also do the job, again if I can get some smoked glass.

@Eric_Inovelli, @SandyB and others, I’m back with some hard data and a somewhat startling discovery. tl;dr: The brightness drop is associated with a non-neutral setup, and it’s pretty significant.

I used an ESPHome illumination sensor connected to a battery power bank to measure room lux. And I installed a new Blue 2-in-1 in a room with a neutral connection. So I have three configs to report:

1. Original Insteon setup with neutral: 93 lux

2. Inovelli Blue setup WITHOUT Neutral: 59 lux

3. Inovelli Blue setup WITH Neutral: 89 lux

Here’s all three together:

So comparing Insteon to Inovelli Blue without neutral wire, this is a 34 lux, or ~37% drop in brightness.

Comparing Insteon to Inovelli Blue with neutral wire, it’s only a 4 lux, or 4% drop in brightness (which I don’t notice).

I’m hoping this is helpful, and that there is something that can be done to fix the non-neutral setup. I was going to change all of the lights in my house to Blues, but about half of them are dumb switches without neutrals, and I don’t think I can do that if the lights only hit 63% of max brightness.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thank you – very helpful. I’ve passed this onto the engineers as well. I wonder what that reading would be if a bypass was installed. I’m happy to send you one to test.

Happy to take a bypass and give it a shot. Let me know what I can do!

In the meantime, I’ve confirmed with another of my Blues - I had originally set it up without a neutral, but there was a neutral in the switchbox. So I took some lux measurements without the neutral, and then connected the neutral and took more measurements.

The lighting conditions are a bit messier, but the overall result is similar: 30lux versus 48 lux, or about 35% loss of max brightness.

No nuetral wire: 30 lux

With neutral wire connected: 48 lux

Comparison

@Eric_Inovelli any news on the firmware?

2 Likes

Yes, so the firmware that I tried unfortunately didn’t fix the issue. However, we just got new firmware for the Red Series that the same logic can be applied for the Blue Series.

Tomorrow I’m going to swap the Blue Series switch out with the Red Series and see if it makes a difference.

The engineer claims he managed to get the difference in brightness within 15% of a neutral setting, so that’s a good start.

If the Red Series switch works, he will work on a new firmware version for the Blue Series.

1 Like

Thanks for providing the update, Eric! Will keep fingers crossed. Definitely interested in hearing if a bypass helps (and still willing to test if that is helpful).

And I agree if we can get to a drop of 15% from max, that’s a significant improvement from what I’m seeing now (37% of max), and may not even be noticeable day to day.

Sorry to keep bumping this, but wanted to add a little extra info:

I measured the voltage flowing out at the Load screw on one of my Inovelli Blues, with neutral connected and disconnected:

Without Neutral: 77v
With Neutral: 121v

That seems to line up to my real world lighting experience above, and corresponds to a little less than 2/3 power output when used without a neutral.

1 Like

Any updates? If a new firmware is released, will HA find and apply it through Z2MQTT?

Yes. Easy peasey

Any follow up with this? I had issues with my hue bulbs flickering with a non-neural blue switch (and bypass) install and this reduced voltage issue was never disclosed. My switch has been a paperweight ever since. This seems like a very likely source of my problem.

2.14 Firmware was released the other day. I would try updating to that. They have a fix for the brightness and flickering. I have all neutrals in my boxes, so I can’t test the low brightness, but the flickering has all but gone away from me. The only flickers I see now are the cheap LED bulbs I’m too lazy to get a ladder out to change. Even then, the flickering on those bulbs have reduced so much, I doubt I’ll make an effort to swap those bulbs before they die.

2 Likes

Yes! Version 2.14 was released a couple of days ago, and directly addresses the dimming flicker AND the non-neutral brightness issue. Firmware update available now.

It seems with some implementations (e.g., Z2M in Home Assistant) you need to wait for the next mqtt update for the proper controls to be exposed to enable the settings.

Discussion has moved here: Blue Series 2-1 Firmware Changelog | VZM31-SN - #359 by EricM_Inovelli

Edit: Oops, @mtnbiker717 beat me to it.

1 Like