Can’t align Blue Series switch vertically to match other switches

Here is a pic of it installed and working inverted. Can’t say it’s my preference, but can live with it this way.

4 Likes

I’m having the exact same problem. I’m not in Canada (in SoCal), using a standard plastic 2-gang box. Originally, the box contained two Lutron on/off “Decora” switches, one of them a 3-way. I’m replacing the 3-way with the Inovelli Blue Series switch. The other Lutron switch remains. When putting it all back, the switch plate won’t align. The Inovelli switch is too low. There is no way to adjust the height of the switches, only left-right movement. I confirmed that it is the Inovelli switch which is slightly off, as I tried with a Leviton switch, it aligns perfectly. So, we have a standard 2-gang box, Lutron and Leviton switches all align for the switch cover, but the Inovelli Blue Series switch does not align. I finally took a razor and “shaved” the opening for the Lutron switch so that when the cover aligns on the Inovelli, the Lutron switch will then fit, but it looks ugly and maybe other people won’t pay much attention, but it is all I see when I look at it.

Hard to believe this made it past quality control. This is a brand new Blue Series switch that I just received.

Can you post pictures?

I can, but they are pretty much irrelevant. For whatever reasons, the Inovelli switches don’t fit standard switch covers if you have a multi-gang with other switches.

So I’ll just say I had almost 40 of blues and aux switches installed. The only issue I had was in the multi gang boxes that were sagging. The poor dry wallers couldn’t cut the entire box out and the side opposite of the nailing side dropped quite a bit. I had to cut around the box and pull it up/out in order to get the switches lined up. Definitely wasn’t a switch issue but cheap ass pvc boxes and poor craftsmanship.

2 Likes

It isn’t the box. Other switches have no alignment issue. I even tried another brand of smart switch (a Zooz Z-Wave on/off), there was no alignment issue. I also tried the Inovelli Aux switch, no alignment issue. Only the Inovelli Blue switch has the issue.

Well since there’s only a couple I’ve seen report an issue with fitment out of the thousands of others that fit, I can’t say for sure there’s an issue with the blues case.

This is how bad my box was, but I managed to pull it up (the box) and fit the decora faceplate.

1 Like

Yes, it must be a problem with the box and the three other switches I’ve tried that fit perfectly, not the Blue Series switch.:thinking:

1 Like

Can you take a photo with the cover off?

Besides the screws not being vertically aligned, I’d like to see how the switches faceplate align with the other switch for reference.

2 Likes

2 alignment issues, both when installing beside a Lutron switch doesn’t necessarily scream there’s an issue with the Blue Series.

Looking at your installed pic, I can tell you that your horizontal alignment is off. The 2 switches are slightly twisted which will cause one corner to be elevated. Look closely

Look at the top left corner of the Blue Series switch. See that gap and how it gets smaller as it goes to the right side? Next look at the left side of your Lutron switch starting in the bottom corner. See how that gap grows as it goes up the left side of your switch?

If your switches aren’t straight, the faceplate will never line up properly.

4 Likes

Horizontally there is no problem, the switches can move. The problem is the Blue Series switch doesn’t align vertically and the switches cannot move vertically. The gap you notice is because the cover plate isn’t lying flat because the opening isn’t aligned correctly. I can choose to align it on the Blue Series (which in the photo it is) and not the other switch. That is what I’ve done for now as it looks the least ugly. But that is not ideal.

The problem is the Blue Series switch, no matter how much you disagree. I’ve tried several Lutron switches, a Leviton, switch, a Zooz smart switch, and even the Inovelli Aux White switch. They don’t have an alignment problem. Only the Blue Series causes the problem. Stop trying to gaslight me.

1 Like

Does the top screw on on the Inovelli switch require a lot of force when tightening? The problem I had, was that in order to get the switch pushed in, the top screw started going on an angle due to the ground screw etc at the top rubbing the box. This pushed the entire switch down a bit which meant it didn’t align with the other non Inovelli switches. I suspect that if someone replaced all switches in the gang box with Inovelli switches would get equal alignment and the cover would look normal.

Not saying the switch back is no too high, just thinking that perhaps this could be a reason why very few folks have brought this up beyond youself and I. Inverting the switch worked best for me, although it wasn’t my preference. Elongating the screw hole at the top might have helped. I suspect I could have also used a washer if the screw head didn’t catch. That said, I’m not in a rush to buy more until this is resolved.

1 Like

There was no extra force needed. The placement of the ground screw, while awkward, didn’t result in any conflict with the mounting screw. I was able to screw down the ground screw enough to clear the mounting screw completely. The Blue Series switch is simply not in line with the standard set by every other switch. It is just a millimeter or two difference, but that’s enough to cause the conflict.

I’ve had problems lining up switches before (mostly with Kasa switches), but not with the Blues. I have 2, 3 and 4 gang boxes that contain Blues mixed with GE/Jasco switches and Zooz Scene Controllers without any significant alignment issues as long as I get them all aligned straight and not at slight angles. Kasa switches, on the other hand, proved to be a nightmare since they are a terribly tight fit. Fortunately, they will be gone after the next shipment of Blues arrives.

The one really nice feature of the GE/Jasco switches is that the ground is offset to one side at the top, instead of directly in the middle. That makes dealing with warped boxes a bit easier.

cew0719

Do you have a picture of your gang box without the switches in? Even if it’s a manufacturers photo? I’m curious to see if the box issues I had are similar or possibly different. Because my gang box definitely isn’t warped. It’s just the way it’s designed.

Also, out of curiosity I had a quick look through homedepot.com & lowes.com (USA), to see if I could find any plastic boxes that are similar to the Canadian ones. There are lots of plastic boxes sold, but none seem to have the bonding bracket and most have rounded screw inlets, where as the ones with the bonding bracket are square. I found these which look like they could have issues if I were to guess:

1 Like

I’m not sure what’s happening in your case, but it’s not universal to all Inovelli switches. Almost all mine are in multi-gang boxes mixed with other switches and I don’t have this issue

Just FYI

2 Likes

Lucky me got the mutant switch.

2 Likes

Agree with this, would be much more helpful having a picture with the plate off to try and help you out. How crowded is your box as well?

3 Likes

I wouldn’t expect the plastic ones to warp. I would assume they’d crack or split before warping unless heat were used. The metal ones though… you can warp those things with your thumbs.

You won’t find any outside the Canadian market with that bonding bracket since it’s only a requirement for Canadian code.

1 Like

You dont even have to tighten it down firmly. Best practice is to very lightly secure the switches to the box (enough that they can still be moved around a bit.) Then you place cover plate over, which positions the switches for you. Then tightening the faceplate screws wedges everything in place against the wall.

4 Likes