Can’t align Blue Series switch vertically to match other switches

The switches can only move horizontally, the Inovellu switch is misaligned vertically. They do not move vertical. Now I either just have an ugly bulging switch plate or I try a different smart switch and just have wasted nearly $40 on this one.

Yep, this is the same problem I had which is unfortunate and due to the Canadian plastic gang box design. Flipping mine allowed the correct alignment which avoids issues with the face plate.

I’ll ask again though. No one here can likely help further unless we can see what what the gang box pre switch install looks like. Otherwise you are just going to get assumptions on fixes that probably won’t be helpful. So, if possible please post photos of the gang box.

1 Like

And again, it isn’t the gang box, as other switches align perfectly. Only the Inovelli Blue switch doesn’t align with the others.

1 Like

Slightly different issue. You couldn’t get the screw hole to align because of that metal tab. Here the screw holes are aligned.

This still just looks like a matter of aligning the switches properly. I get there is limited/none vertical alignment. But horizontal alignment can cause an issue vertically. It’s really hard to describe over text but if you take a square and rotate it by a few degrees you’re going to get a corner on top and a corner on the bottom that are higher. By the gaps in both switches, you can clearly see the horizontal alignment is off.

This image is extreme, but it kind of shows what I’m speaking of.

The square hasn’t moved vertically, but the corners are sitting higher because of the horizontal rotation. Dial that back to being off by 1 or 2 degrees and that is what I’m seeing in this installation. Apply this principle to fitting switches into the holes on a faceplate and if they’re even slightly out of alignment you’re going to get a bit of bulging and gaps.

As I understand it, the issue is the metal bar in the Canadian Box is hitting the centered ground terminal on the Inovelli switch.

Here in the US, we dont’ have that issue because we don’t have the metal bar and each switch has a bare ground wire going to the ground terminal.

Can you solve the problem by remove that metal piece and running a ground wire directly to the ground terminal?

For me, I didn’t want to take the risk of modifying what is required by the Canadian electrical code. Also, before I inverted it (which I’m decently happy with the result), It would get really tight and start pushing vertically even half way in. So keeping the screw looser has no effect in my case in regards to helping align with the other switches. I’m also not convinced it’s “just” the metal bar. It’s that + the square (not rounded) screw hole in combination possibly.

1 Like

For me, the screw holes line up perfectly, but the plastic frame of the switch then doesn’t align with the cover plate. When the cover plate aligns with other switches but not the Inovelli switch, that says that something is amiss with the Inovelli. The switch fits into the gang box without any problem, it screws in just fine. Just no alignment with the cover plate resulting it in looking bad.

This is weird. Decora is a well-known and documented standard. I wonder if your faceplate isn’t snapped in 100%, or something happened in assembly. Can you show us a pic?

I already did post photos. I’ve tested with Zooz, Leviton, and even another type of Inovelli switch. Only this Inovelli Blue switch has the issue, it doesn’t align with the cover plate. I’ve stated this over and over and over.

Folks here would like to see a pic with the face plate removed.

I’m tired of being accused of lying about this issue. This makes me want to never purchase another Inovelli switch. Not because of a defective switch, but because of the badgering I have taken when reporting the issue here.

Again, The left switch is a standard Leviton. In the place of the Inovelli Blue I have tried other Leviton, a Zooz, and an old Lutron Caseta. They all fit perfectly. Only the Inovelli is “off”, as can be seen in the photo. There is no problem aligning the switch in the box, the alignment is with the frame of the switch, not the mount.

I validate your issue. You seem to be the only one in 3 generations of this switch with this issue.

I’m sure Eric has the model/tooling and the ability to check whether or not a mistake was made on this switch.

Mine fit excellent and are well-centered immediately adjacent and replacing other dumb switches from leviton.

1 Like

I’m so happy you’ve not had any issue, that’s very comforting. I’m also sure no mistake was made in the manufacture of this switch and it is only my incompetence that forces the entire frame of the switch to be misaligned with every other switch. My apologies. :unamused:

They definitely don’t line up, so you’re not wrong about that. But your problem is not the switch, it’s the box. Your box got malformed when it was installed. Since it’s a plastic box, it can happen. You can see that the set of holes for the Inovelli switch are lower than for the other switch. If the holes don’t line up properly, then obviously, the switches won’t either.

That is an old work i.e. retrofit box. It has ears that grab onto the drywall. Sometimes when those are installed, the box will rack out of alignment. It usually happens when the hole isn’t cut properly. You ought to be able to pop that box out by unscrewing the screws at the bottom left and top right so that tabs loosen. Then pull the box out slightly and chip away whatever is in the opening that is keeping the box from going in properly. If the box is permanently warped, then it is an easy swap-out.

EDIT: See the gap on the right side of the box? It’s wider at the top. That’s the result of the top of the box being pushed down, probably because the hole wasn’t cut large enough.

5 Likes

This ^

2 Likes

The purpose of that bar is to provide grounding of the switch without having a dedicated ground wire. If you remove the bar and replace it with a direct ground wire connection, it should still be within code because the switch would still be grounded.

Yet EVERY OTHER SWITCH (Leviton, Zooz, Lutron) fit with no problem. Only the Inovelli switch doesn’t fit correctly.

That might make sense to you, but it doesn’t to me. If the holes in the box don’t line up horizontally, the switches won’t either, unless maybe they have wider slots.

That box is warped. I’ve explained the fix to you . . .

1 Like

The fact that ALL OTHER SWITCHES FIT WITHOUT ANY MODIFICATIONS points to the problem not being the box, but the one switch that DOESN’T FIT. Not sure how much more plain that can be. You people are amazing in your zeal to blame everything else and not the actual problem

Hi @cew0719 - I’m assuming you purchased the switch through ZWP as I don’t see any orders from you other than an aux switch in our system. If you would like to return the switch for a full refund we will talk to ZWP and authorize that. Doesn’t seem you are too happy with it and no sense in further arguments or explanations by anyone in the thread. Please let me know how we can proceed forward. Feel free to PM me directly and I will get you taken care of.

2 Likes