Can't get Smart Bulb Mode to work between Inovelli dimmer & Inovellli smart bulb

This is actually the same security level. Both are Non-secure (no security). It is what my devices show and they are associated together and working.

You may have to change a preference or two on the dimmer to have the device handler send the association commands a couple times. SmartThings isn’t seeing the association reports at the moment so the device handler can’t verify that the command went through. So you might want to force the commands a few times by changing (and then changing back if desired) some of the device preferences. This of course is after the associations have been setup in the Z-Wave association tool.

1 Like

I will play around with it when I have time. For now I have it functioning via Smart Lighting app (through the hub) to keep the wife happy lol. I’m dropping off the old switch at the post office later this morning that customer service replaced, but doubt now there was anything wrong with it. The only weird issue I see is that this is the second switch that the air gap does not kill? I have this wired directly off a wall outlet with neutral wire to power the switch outside the walk in closet which was on a pull chain light that I replaced with a fixture so the socket remains powered at all times. Thoughts on that?

Any updates or information on the association issues?

I did not get a response regarding the association issue, but the workaround in the device handler should still be working.

As for the device that the air gap doesn’t kill, I would think that there is power coming in on the load terminal. That is the only thing I can think of.

I’ve yet to get the workaround to function but haven’t had the time to dedicate to ti keeping either as I’m back to regular work. I’m debating my smart home options now because the Smarthings forum also has people reporting all kinds of issues. Not sure what to go with though. Hubitat? I left Wink because they basically abandoned the platform. I went with ST for WAF but this is proving to be a headache in and of itself that I do t want to have to invest so much time in just to get basic functionality. pulls remaining hair out lol

Ok, just wanted to post an update here as I’ve been working around the clock to get this documented.

For the record, I switched everything over to ST at my house over the past week or so and got Associations to work, so I have confidence in you – if I can do it, you can too lol!

Here are the latest instructions, hopefully they help: How-To's | Setup Z-Wave Associations - SmartThings

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll dive into this a little more. Just have been crazy busy with work and such. Hopefully I can dedicate sometime to this and get it working as needed.

Finally have some time to sit down with this again and still zero luck getting SmartBulb mode to work… I’m going to try and delete all handlers and code and start from scratch. I hate using it as the built in Smarthings Smart Lighting handler because the delay and it really is a pain when the net goes down to have no light control, but that has been the only way to get this to work so far. What exactly are you doing to get the items to associate via Z-Wave?? I’m following the instructions above to a T unless the code was changed again. Are you still usings a work around code because of the previous Smartthings issues?

UPDATE: This has become a total and utter nightmare. I’m back to the point of getting the Something went wrong. Please try to install the SmartApp again error message. I’m beyond frustrated with this whole Smartthings setup… Seriously considering looking at Hubitat if that’s a better option, but trying to stay with this because Eric claims to have successfully switched his home over to ST

Don’t ignore Home Assistant. It’s a step above IMO (I definitely am using it so very biased).

Remote control and UI of the home is very important and to the best of my understanding Hubitat is somewhat limited in that and presentation.

1 Like

I’ll certainly look into it, but I honestly just need something basic for Alexa integrations and such that the wife can use. Wink was great, but abandoned and ST seemed like a logical replacement based on research. I really just need the Smartbulb mode to function with Zwave association to ensure function even when the internet or network connection is down. Hopefully I can get some answers here from the community.

1 Like

Is it smart bulb mode or zwave association that you’re having an issue with?
Smartbulb mode disables the internal relay so it sends power to the bulbs at all times
Zwave association sends the on/off/dim signals directly to the bulbs, bypassing the hub.

It sounds like it’s zwave association that you need help with, but we should probably ask if you’ve got smartbulb mode enabled and working. Or do you need help with both?

Good point. Associations wont work if the bulb is having its power cut.

The bulb is on a constant power supply. I want to apply direct Z Wave association to the bulb to bypass the hub in the case of a network outage. I’ve tried all the direction here to do the association and have the bulb direct associate with the switch. It was my understanding that you needed to be in smartbulb mode to run as direct Zwave association. Any & all help is greatly appreciated!

Can you post:

• Screenshots from the IDE of the Data and Raw Description sections from the device pages of both the switch and the bulb
  • Screenshots from the IDE of the Type sections from the device pages Edit page for both the switch and the bulb
1 Like

Hopefully these help

The good news is they are the same security level, which is usually the hardest part to accomplish. Now let’s figure out how to install the SmartApp.

I got this before and it drove me nuts for the longest time. What I finally figured out (after so much frustration) was that I was signed into the ST on my phone with an email that didn’t have authorization to install SmartApps.

In other words, my primary email was X and then I got a new phone which happened to be a Samsung phone and I set it up with email Y (which I linked to SmartThings). When I signed out of ST and signed in using email X, I was able to install the SmartApp.

Maybe this is your issue?

My email has been the same since I set up the account as far as I know. I set up a Samsung Account. Is there anyway to do the association via my browser or IDE interface?

I will try linking my Google Account as well

EDIT: Google Account linked via browser. I’m going to try setting the association again

EDIT 2: No change. Still getting the something went wrong message

Man that’s frustrating… Ugh…

Can you post the screenshot of the SmartApps in IDE?

One thing I did notice was the device type for the RGBW bulb. Can you install the Inovelli device handler for it and see if that works? It’s a long shot, but worth a try.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/b0f838c1c13294ca9513a0ce15b602e1b7417711/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.src/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.groovy

This didn’t work. Same issue with the Something went wrong error message.

In fact, it made it worse with the Smart Lighting app. Now the bulb doesn’t shut off all the way and stay dimly lit when switched off via the app so I have to go to the bulb in devices and tap that off now. This happened before.

I replaced the code from your tutorial with the above code so I may have to switch it back so it turns all the way off.

I really just wish this would work. Is this a Smarthings issue only? Are Zwave associations working with other options?

1 Like

I’m really confused (sorry, long day).

Switching to the Inovelli Device Handler made it so the bulb will not shut off now?

Anyway, let’s start from scratch.

1. Can you delete everything from Smart Lighting (Inovelli related)?
  2. In IDE, delete any device handlers and SmartApps (Inovelli ones and Z-Wave Association Tool)
  3. Can you make sure both SmartApps are installed and only the first one is published (not the second one)
  4. Can you install both device handlers (for the dimmer and RGBW bulb) and then change the type to those handlers?
  5. Next, can you post screenshots again of both the devices and then of your SmartApps screen?

Once we confirm that is working, we can move onto setting up associations and smart lighting.

I just tested the Associations (and had another person test the SmartApp) and it works fine, so I’m confident we can figure this out :slight_smile:

But, yes if there’s something messed up with ST, I’ve gotten this to work with Hubitat and I know many have them working with Home Assistant.

SmartApp Links
Install, Save and Publish this one: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/smartapps/inovelliusa/z-waveat/zwave-association-tool.src/zwave-association-tool.groovy

Install, Save (do not publish this one): https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/smartapps/inovelliusa/z-waveat/zwave-association.src/zwave-association.groovy

Device Handler Links:
Install, Save and Publish: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.groovy

Install, Save and Publish:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/b0f838c1c13294ca9513a0ce15b602e1b7417711/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.src/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.groovy

Edit: If we can’t get it to work, I can try to do a teams view of your computer or something to see what’s going on. Or if you want to PM me your credentials, I can login and do it for you (whichever is easier).