Can't get Smart Bulb Mode to work between Inovelli dimmer & Inovellli smart bulb

My email has been the same since I set up the account as far as I know. I set up a Samsung Account. Is there anyway to do the association via my browser or IDE interface?

I will try linking my Google Account as well

EDIT: Google Account linked via browser. I’m going to try setting the association again

EDIT 2: No change. Still getting the something went wrong message

Man that’s frustrating… Ugh…

Can you post the screenshot of the SmartApps in IDE?

One thing I did notice was the device type for the RGBW bulb. Can you install the Inovelli device handler for it and see if that works? It’s a long shot, but worth a try.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/b0f838c1c13294ca9513a0ce15b602e1b7417711/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.src/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.groovy

This didn’t work. Same issue with the Something went wrong error message.

In fact, it made it worse with the Smart Lighting app. Now the bulb doesn’t shut off all the way and stay dimly lit when switched off via the app so I have to go to the bulb in devices and tap that off now. This happened before.

I replaced the code from your tutorial with the above code so I may have to switch it back so it turns all the way off.

I really just wish this would work. Is this a Smarthings issue only? Are Zwave associations working with other options?

1 Like

I’m really confused (sorry, long day).

Switching to the Inovelli Device Handler made it so the bulb will not shut off now?

Anyway, let’s start from scratch.

1. Can you delete everything from Smart Lighting (Inovelli related)?
  2. In IDE, delete any device handlers and SmartApps (Inovelli ones and Z-Wave Association Tool)
  3. Can you make sure both SmartApps are installed and only the first one is published (not the second one)
  4. Can you install both device handlers (for the dimmer and RGBW bulb) and then change the type to those handlers?
  5. Next, can you post screenshots again of both the devices and then of your SmartApps screen?

Once we confirm that is working, we can move onto setting up associations and smart lighting.

I just tested the Associations (and had another person test the SmartApp) and it works fine, so I’m confident we can figure this out :slight_smile:

But, yes if there’s something messed up with ST, I’ve gotten this to work with Hubitat and I know many have them working with Home Assistant.

SmartApp Links
Install, Save and Publish this one: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/smartapps/inovelliusa/z-waveat/zwave-association-tool.src/zwave-association-tool.groovy

Install, Save (do not publish this one): https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/smartapps/inovelliusa/z-waveat/zwave-association.src/zwave-association.groovy

Device Handler Links:
Install, Save and Publish: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.groovy

Install, Save and Publish:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/b0f838c1c13294ca9513a0ce15b602e1b7417711/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.src/inovelli-bulb-multi-color-lzw42.groovy

Edit: If we can’t get it to work, I can try to do a teams view of your computer or something to see what’s going on. Or if you want to PM me your credentials, I can login and do it for you (whichever is easier).

I literally did that last night (the starting from scratch), but I’ll do it again with the links you just posted as I used the ones from the post above last night. We’ll see what happens this time.

Removed and reinstalled: Here are the screenshots and I’d like to get this to work on my own because I will have to do this again a few times for my setups as we progress with the remodel.

*Also note it’s still having the issue now where it doesn’t turn off. Just dims down when using the built in Smart lighting app. It wasn’t doing this until I made the handler changes to the bulb. I’m ready to sell this hub off and start over again. And I thought Wink was bad :man_facepalming:t2:

@BenJF3 I notice in your screenshots that the child app is not published. I’m not the smartthings expert, but I’m pretty sure this would stop the parent app from being able to access the code in the child app which would then make the association not work.

:man_shrugging:t2: I’m simply following the tutorial as written, so if you have a lead on something that’s missing just point me in the right direction and I’ll try it.

Child apps typically aren’t published, so that seems correct.

Out of curiosity, what is the wired load on the dimmer controlling? Is it a neutral or non-neutral?

If it’s the bulb, where is the bulb mounted, a fixture or a lamp?

1 Like

The bulb is in a fixture with constant power (replaced a pull string with a hardwired socket) & the switch is wired off a plug with neutral. It’s not practical to wire the light direct hence why I want it in smart bulb mode with zwave association.

Sorry I’m on mobile so it may come across as short so I apologize.

Thanks for your patience, I can tell this is frustrating. I started with Wink too and appreciated the simplicity. SmartThings does have a learning curve if you’re coming from Wink, but I can promise you it’s much less of a learning curve than other platforms.

That said, you see where it says, “Type” in each of your screenshots?

It looks like the device handler was not applied after installation.

On your dimmer one, it says, “Inovelli Dimmer” - this is the generic device handler that’s picked up by ST.

To change it, please do the following:

• Click on Devices
  • Click on the, “Closet Dimmer Switch”
  • Scroll to the bottom and click, “Edit”
  • Click on, “Type” and there should be a drop-down. Find where it says, “Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN” (if it doesn’t show up in your list, make sure you installed, saved and clicked published on the device handler tab)
  • Click, “Save”

Now for your bulb, please do the same steps as above, but instead of searching for, “Inovelli Dimmer Red Series LZW31-SN”, search for, “Inovelli Bulb Multi-Color LZW42”.

Once those are both applied, let me know and we can take it from there.

Everything else you have done is perfect, we’re (hopefully) almost there man.

1 Like

Ok, updated with those settings Eric. And a quick thank you to all helping out here. It’s really appreciated!

EDIT UPDATE! It appears that the Zwave association now WORKS! I disabled the built in Smarthings app and the light is responding to switch controls directly. After applying the update, it appears to have reset the switch settings though (led color and timing, but I’ll play with those next) I will keep you updated on things as I have a pretty big project coming up where I plan on installing 5 can lights in the same configuration where there’s ceiling power but no hardwired wall switch. I wanted to do 6 lights, but I see there is a 5 bulb limit.

I am noticing an issue. The bulb acts like it’s hardwired now which is awesome, but it seems to not mirror the switch. It turns instant on and off where as I can see the switch LED ramp up and when I hold the paddle to set the dimmer it doesn’t seem to affect the bulb setting.

That said, progress is being made. I’m going to disconnect the hub and confirm the pairing works without a network connection next.

1 Like

Which groups do you have associated from the dimmer to the bulb?

Confirm SBM mode 2 (smart bulb mode), not 1 (on/off).

We got this!

Group 2 and 4 as per the step by step

1 Like

And SBM mode?

Yes it’s set to Smart Bulb Mode

I have my associations done with Groups 2, 3 and 4.
Group 2 = On/Off
Group 4 = Multi Start/Stop (Dimming capabilities)

I don’t remember why I added group 3 to the mix.
Group 3 = Multilevel Set

You could try adding group 3 in there and see if it helps.

EDIT: I figured out why I added group 3. It’s for transition on/off. And you’re saying you see the switch transitioning but not the bulbs, so definitely try adding group 3.

Association Group Group Name Behavior
1 Lifeline Needs to point to your hub (should already be set)
2 Basic Set Will turn on/off bulbs instantly
3 Multi-level set Bulbs will transition on/off. Unable to configure transition time
4 Multi-level start/stop Needed in order to dim bulbs by holding the on/off buttons

Added Group 3, but it still acts as instant on/off. Figuring it’s got to be a setting of some sort.

Can you post the version string from the top of the device handler