Compatible Bulbs for Dimmer Switch (Gen 2)

I have Inovelli RGBW bulbs in certain rooms. They’re ZWave and work well together.

Unknown as the support was not exactly clear with their answer. Upon reading further in the thread it seems a few more people tried these bulbs but I have not found any definitive answer as to how well they work, so if anyone has any guidance I would be all ears. Recently one of my Cree 75W E12 bulbs burned out with a Kasa HS220, so likely looking to replace it after I do a warranty claim on the bulb.

1 Like

Do you have something to check your volts and freqs in the wall? Not to say that user supplied data isn’t subject to error, but the buzz could be site specific.

I think the GE Relax bulbs I have installed in my dining room and hallways meets your requirements, and I definitely don’t hear any buzzing or see any flickering after setting the appropriate minimum setting.

I ended up going to Home Depot and Target and buying one set of every one of their bulbs that met my requirements (soft white, LED, dimmable) and tried them all one-by-one. The GE Soft White and GE Relax HD worked great, no hum/buzz or flicker, but I didn’t like that they weren’t approved for use in totally enclosed fixtures. I tried some Philips bulbs from Home Depot which worked ok, but ultimately settled on the EcoSmart bulbs from Home Depot. They have no hum/buzz, no flicker, and can dim from 40-90 and the range between those two is excellent. Even my wife said she likes how dim these can get, almost like a nightlight. All with no buzz or flicker. I don’t know how long they will last, but for now, these things solved all my issues. Also, they are rated for moisture AND totally enclosed enclosures. I’ll link to the exact model below in case anyone else is interested.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-60-Watt-Equivalent-A19-Dimmable-Energy-Star-LED-Light-Bulb-Soft-White-4-Pack-B7A19A60WESD14/303574540

1 Like

Wow that’s great! I use mine in totally enclosed fixtures for the record, but I’m glad you found a line that hits all of the right points.

Hey so I’m just revisiting this as someone linked to this thread lol.

We’ll be building this now in Discourse (this forum) and it seems to be a little more friendly on the eyes from a mobile standpoint.

While I can’t add a lot of the filtering options (at least I don’t think so - maybe there’s a plugin out there), I do think it looks much better as you’re able to scroll horizontally.

Here’s an example of what I’m building: Wiki | Compatible Bulb List

Curious on your thoughts!

@Eric_Inovelli I think Hubitat use MediaWiki, and is what I was really hoping for. The formatting in Discourse due to width constraints is a little kludgy.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

Does it show up like this for you on mobile?

Seems kinda hard to navigate :frowning:

Yeah not great on mobile. I just think being able to sort becomes more important as the list hopefully grows until it’s massive.

That said, it’s workable with the built in filters you added for bulb type, as that’s the most important.

I just purchased (4) Cree 60W equivalent A19 5000K (daylight) bulbs (TA19-08050MDFH25-12DE26-2-12). They work great with the Red Series dimmer. According to the compatibility notes, the other colors of these bulbs dim down to 15%. The 5000k only go down to 38%.

Good news and bad news. Let’s start with some very good news. I found a florescent T8 LED replacement that is working perfectly with my Red dimmers, V2 (i.e. LSW31-SN). That is the Toggled T8 | T12 48" dimmable tubes. I got two sets of the 6500K 2000 lumen ones from Home Depot. I replaced the fluorescents today then changed the Dimming Speeds in Hubitat to 0 by software, 3 at the switch and the Ramp rate for both via software and at the switch to 1 and 1. Model D416-65321-2. Rev 2. BTW, as with most LED replacements you have to remove the existing ballast. They also come with new tombstones, but my electricians didn’t need to use them. I saw on the Wiki that there were zero Tubes listed with the Red dimmers, so I hope this can be helpful to a lot of people.

Now the bad news. I tried the GE Ultra bright candelabra dimmable lights, 100 W replacement, 810 lumens, 5000K. They don’t flicker at full power, but do flicker a bit as dimming up or down and hardly dim at all.

Even worse, the Cree 75 W replacement, 7000 lumens, 5000k dimmable LEDs don’t flicker, but then don’t dim at all.

I have some Feit 40 watt replacements that dim fine, but they are only like 2700 K and I’m looking for something much brighter (75 W or 100 W) and cooler (i.e. 5000K or higher)

1 Like

This is P.S. as I can’t save the edit to my own post for some reason. I tried the GE and Cree in the fan light but didn’t realize they work on different technology than the Red Dimmers.

2nd P.S. I don’t know why I couldn’t find it before on Amazon, but I finally found that Feit does sell 2 packs of 75 W, 5000K candelabra base bulbs. I just ordered them and will report back once they come in.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y2Q7SXZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

What is the model number for these? Also, did those work on your red dimmers?

I did a post on the “rewards” page that the Toggled LED tubes I bought work with the Red Series V2 dimmers.

I did a post on the rewards page that both the 40 watt and 75 watt candelabra bulbs work with the fan/light switch.

Can anyone lend a hand on how I can find out if these bulbs that my electrician plans to use for my new home build will work with my red dimmers?

These are the bulbs - https://www.satco.com/s29312.html

Is there a set piece of information I am looking for to determine if these will work with the red dimmers or is it just a guess and check game that I might potentially regret later?

Unfortunately, it’s more of the latter. But the good news is there there are a couple compatibility lists you can consult, containing user reports of inserts that work. The bulbs you referenced are just 5 or 6 inch can inserts so your electrician can still use the cans he’s accustomed to. I didn’t see Satco on any of the lists. You might be better off asking your electrician to buy a tested model or buy them yourself.

There are several lists to check. The first is the bulb compatibility chart. The second is a list that Inovelli has compiled in anticipation of a new app. (The Wiki embedded app doesn’t seem to be up right now but I’ll post the link.)

Is there any specific guidance for finding the max and min on bulbs?

I’ve got a red dimmer connected to 4x Feit bcpeBR30/DM/LED that came with my house. Bulbs are fine, but I understand Feit may not be well supported. They seem fine at 100, but have a sudden jump down in brightness at 50. They go to about 20 when starting from 100, but from 0, 20 does not work. It really seems like they have only a couple brightness levels that work without flickers. Neutral is installed, but no bypass.I’m controlling via Home Assistant.

Was trying to find the right max/min, but it seems like I’d have 2 or 3 levels specifically only. Wondering if I should just replace the bulbs instead or if it’s worth finding the right max/min.

I’m hoping @EricM_Inovelli will add a firmware option to blip the power to 100% then drop to min level. That’s how my old dumb dimmer worked. It’s definitely a shock to the eyes but allows you to set a much lower dim level from off.