Compatible Bulbs for Dimmer Switch (Gen 2)

Add a bypass. That does not indicate that your bulb is either compatible or incompatible.

• Make/Model of the Bulb? Philips R20 45W Warm Glow Dimmer (Model 545020)
  • Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup? Neutral
  • Are you using a bypass? No
  • Did you have to set any min/max settings? 20-99
  • Overall, would you recommend this bulb? Yes

Are we still unable to reach a consensus on the top 3 bulbs to add on the QVL?

Also, is there really no bulb that can dim from 0-100 and doesn’t give off a loud buzz or some other preposterous annoyance?

• Quoizel / PCBZ1612C (Platinum Blaze 12-in LED Flush Mount Light)(link)
  • Using Neutral
  • Used bypass to improve dimming, but it does not help much
  • Min: 40, Max: 60, Dimming Speed: 2
  • Not recommended because of cost and poor dimming performance. With these changes, it does work very well.

I tried 2 different bulbs and they are both NOT COMPATIBLE

Make/Model of the Bulb: AmeriTop Efficient 14W

Amazon Canada
Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup? Non neutral
Are you using a bypass? No
Did you have to set any min/max settings? Tried many things but stays on all the time
Overall, would you recommend this bulb? NO

Make/Model of the Bulb: AmazonBasics 100W Equivalent 

Amazon Canada
Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup? Non neutral
Did you have to set any min/max settings? Tried many things but stays on all the time
Overall, would you recommend this bulb? NO

I will try few others soon.

Make/Model of the Bulb Ecosmart 15.5W No:1001 049 127 

Home Depot Canada
Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup? Non-Neutral
Did you have to set any min/max settings? Min 1 Max 80
Overall, would you recommend this bulb? YES COMPATIBLE = YES

Make/Model of the Bulb Ecosmart 9W No:1000 835 489 

Home Depot Canada
Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup? Non-Neutral
Did you have to set any min/max settings? Min 1 Max 80 ()and many others)
Overall, would you recommend this bulb? NO COMPATIBLE = NO

I have now officially tested the GE Relax candelabra E-12 base using an adapter. The light turns on maybe 10-20ms slower, and is obviously dimmer, but it dims just like it’s larger medium base equivalent.

Incompatible with the GetInLight IN-0202 Series Under Cabinet Lighting Fixtures sold on Amazon.

Strangely they do however work with the Leviton DSL06-1LZ dimmer so I plan to pickup a Leviton DZ6HD-1BZ which is the Z-wave plus version of the switch, it will likely be the fix but the switch is nowhere near as cool as the Inovelli :wink:

Make/Model of the Bulb: Sunco SC4SLIM12PK27K [4 Inch Slim LED Downlight 650 LM, Dimmable, 2700K Soft White] (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D8CPTCJ)
Are you using a Neutral or Non-Neutral setup? Neutral
Did you have to set any min/max settings? I have tried everything
Overall, would you recommend this bulb? Not for dimming with a Black series Gen 2 Dimmer

I’ve installed about 12 of these so far in various places around the house. Some are single lights on a dimmer, others are 2 or 3 lights tied to a dimmer - they all have slightly different dimming performance, all less than ideal. No buzzing noise, just incredible strobing at lower dimming levels. The ramp-up/ramp-down is also quite ‘choppy’, not smooth at all. I wouldn’t recommend the lights, but I love the dimmers and features!

1 Like

Hey, how dim do those candelabra bulbs get for you? On my GE switch, they can get super dim without issues. However, on the Inovelli, I can’t get them nearly as dim as I can on the GE switch. My wife would like them to be able to get super dim as we have a newborn and occasionally really dim ligts.

Is there any consensus on what everyone would consider the absolute best bulbs for the Red Series dimmers? Ones that are reliable, don’t glow when the switch is off and have a very wide range of dimming? My wife is unhappy with the range on the GE bulbs. I’m still trying to fix them, but I’d happily jump ship to another bulb if there was one that was considered the best option.

Thanks!

Can’t help you with a recommendation. However, there is a bit of a trick when it comes to adjusting the range on a dimmer. Not sure if you’re aware or if it will help with your present bulbs but worth a shot.

First, change your min and max to 1 - 99. Now go through the range and find where your cutoffs are and re-set to those percentages. Your range will now be 1 - 99, but adjusted for the min/max you sent.

This may or may not fix your ability to dim lower. Depends on your current settings.

Thanks! Right now my min is at 35 which is lower than the 42 that fatherdoctor uses. I tried 42 and I think that’s really as dim as it gets. I was trying 35 just to see. Oddly, the bulbs dim way more if I use GE dimmer switches for some reason.

You could try adding a bypass to the mix and it may go lower

Thanks, how do I do that?

@chrism.conner it goes between the white (neutral) and black (hot) at the light.

1 Like

Thanks!

1 Like

Have you actually seen that work to make a bulb dim dimmer?

I would be surprised to hear that it did much, but I actually have different ranges that get a bit narrower with higher loads (more bulbs) due to instabilities I start to see earlier on the low end. A bypass might hurt rather than help.

1 Like

My memory may be failing me. I’ll try to test this weekend.