Configuring Fan with Blue Series Fan/Light Canopy Module and Blue Series Switch pre-1.17 firmware

Hello!

I just installed my fan/light module and the blue series switch in my living room and connected the devices with zigbee2mqtt with home assistant. Upon following the instructions to bind these two devices located at Setting Up Your Blue Series Fan/Light Canopy Module With an Inovelli Blue Series Switch • Home Assistant (Zigbee2MQTT) | Inovelli Help Center , it says we need firmware 1.17 to bind the fan to the config button. Well, it looks like 1.17 is still in beta and not available via zigbee2mqtt yet. I was curious what an alternative method would be? I would guess an alternative is to setup an automation through home assistant, right? I’m not the best at configuring automatons in home assistant, but when attempting to, I don’t see any option to cycle through fan speeds. Does anyone know what settings I should choose in home assistant to cycle through fan speeds or a rough estimate of when firmware 1.17 will be out of beta?

I took screenshots of available settings within home assistant here: https://imgur.com/a/wfjwGKz

Appreciate any help you can provide!

I don’t use Z2M, so I’m not sure if you’ll still have options like this as a caveat up front. I believe from your screenshot that you’re using the device action in the automation tool? Instead, try using the Fan action and then pick the fan entity from the canopy module like so -

Alternatively, you could set it to a specific speed based on multiple taps instead of cycling through, etc.

Regarding beta, the way it’s worked in the past with Zwave at least is that the only firmwares that get called prod are certified and ship on some switches new. There’s a cost and process associated with that and Inovelli is still a pretty small company, so ‘beta’ is/was a way to offer updates and improvements without having to go through that same process and incur additional costs. I’m not sure if that’s the case with Zigbee or if that’s a different case now.

Generally speaking what I’ve done is if there’s a new feature or something that interests me on the newer firmware is to give it some time to be ‘out there’ and have people use it and then assuming no widespread issues, it’s probably safe to upgrade. In the couple cases I can think of where there have been issues discovered, Inovelli has been on it with getting an update to fix them, as well as pulled the update from being accessible. So as long as you give it a few weeks or so, it shouldn’t be a concern imo, but I get if the label still makes you hesitant.

Edit to add also, 2.18 is where I’d go instead of 2.17, but while that’s been out for about a month, I think it’s only recently gotten a wider release.

1 Like

Hopefully this helps, a script that can cycle through the fan speeds. Just need to trigger it from an automation whenever you click the button: [Script] Cycle fan speed - Blueprints Exchange - Home Assistant Community

1 Like

I didn’t even think to do that for some reason. Easy once you think about it! I do like the cycling of the speeds since it’s just one button; easy for guests to figure out I suppose. So, I decided to update to 1.18 to get the intended functionality. I couldn’t’ do it through z2m no matter how hard I tried. So, I paired it to home assistant’s ZHA and added this to the configuration.yaml

zha:
  zigpy_config:
    ota:
      z2m_remote_index: https://inov.li/omega/firmware-zha.json

It updated to 1.18 automatically… then I re-paired it to my z2m instance. I’m all good now! I do super appreciate you responded to my request. I’m sure it’ll help others out that were in my situation.

2 Likes

I appreciate you creating a script for this, unfortunately (fortunately?) I went through the trouble of installing the beta firmware to unlock endpoint 3 in my switches. Works like a champ now! But I’m certain your script will prove useful to others since it’s not a cut and dry process to using beta firmware. Thanks again!

1 Like

No, thank you, I have been meaning to update to 1.18 myself and was wondering exactly how to do it with ZHA, your code above will help me!

2 Likes