Controlling Red Series Buttons in HomeKit

I’m using SmartThings and HomeBridge to control some Red Series Dimmers through HomeKit. I am trying to configure them in HomeKit so that double tapping up will turn the light on at the max brightness. I am able to program the buttons within the Home App but it doesn’t seem to have any effect when I try to activate it at the switch. Has anyone had any luck going this route?

Hey @wes.mcc – first, welcome to the community! Glad to have you here :slight_smile:

I’m not at all familiar with HomeBridge (I know what it is, but never used it) – but if you setup the scenes from within the SmartThings app (via Smart Lighting), it won’t work?

Again, sorry for being naive, I’m just not sure how it works from the HomeKit/HomeBridge route. In theory though, you should be able to setup the scene in SmartThings as you wouldn’t need to talk to HomeKit about your scenes since it’s more of a way to integrate voice command/UI, right?

Thanks @Eric_Inovelli. I don’t think there’s a way to incorporate SmartThings scenes into HomeKit - HomeBridge will only forward devices, so ideally, I’d like my scenes set up in HomeKit. While I could get HomeKit to recognize that the switches had buttons and (in theory) was able to assign commands to to them in the HomeKit interface, there was no effect.

I was, however, able to create a workaround by using SmartThings to create a virtual switch and assigning a button to operate the switch, and creating an automation to trigger when the switch was activated in HomeKit.

1 Like