[DEVICE PAGE] Inovelli 4-in-1 motion sensor LZW60

If inovelli driver is used (wich i am using.) . I dont need a handler?

I opened up a brand new sensor and updated the firmware to 2.5, but I am so far unable to put it in listening/repeater mode.

A few observations:

• Device reports that it is not a listening node regardless of whether I include it with 1x or 5x button presses
  • Pressing the button seems to manually wake the device AND put it in exclusion mode, regardless of how many times you press the button (I tried 1x, 2x, 3x, 4x and 5x). I tried pressing the button 5x really fast as well, but it didnt seem to make a difference.
    • Perhaps it is not properly seeing the number of button presses?

(device reports the same capabilities when included with 1x or 5x button presses)

hey guys, soo i need some help… currently on hubitat… ive got a inovelli switch in the bathroom along with a 4 in 1 sensor, I have a motion rule set up for the witch to turn on on motion then turn of a minute later after no motion as been detected. I have turned off the 700ms delay and all. there is still a couple seconds delay before the lights come on… is there some sort of way to speed this up a bit?.. i looked into associating the sensor with the switch but can’t seem to figure it out. any help or small tutorial would be apreciated

While I am not able to help you with the automation or association portion (I am not familiar with Hubitat), I just wanted to let you know that the 700ms delay setting would have no effect on what you are trying to do. The 700ms delay is for pressing buttons on the physical switch. It used to determine the “double-click” speed when pressing the buttons multiple times to trigger scenes, but has a side-effect of causing delays on a single-press because the device is waiting to see if you are going to push the button again.

As far as the delay though, I think the first step is to determine where the delay is occurring. The LED light on the sensor will flash when it first sees motion. Are you able to see how long after the LED flashes before the lights turn on? That will help you determine if the delay is at the sensor detecting motion (you might need to change the sensitivity settings or orientation of the sensor), or a delay with your automations.

1 Like

I cannot help you with Hubitat either, as I’m not familiar with it. But in addition to what @jtronicus suggested, I would look at both of the devices and see how many hops it takes to get to the hub. If the devices are not both connected directly to the hub, it may be worth doing a Z-Wave repair.

Are you using the hub or association?

A few things to consider:

1. Minimum level. Do you have the switch set to a low ight at 1% via minimum level increase? It can sometimes take up to 40% of the ramp just to turn the light on, which can be perceived as a slow response.
  2. Ramp rate. Set this at 0 for z-wave and see if results are faster for you. This will go from 0% to 100% immediately instead of the 3s it is set at by default. I keep the local ramp rate at 1 personally.
  3. Association. You don’t actually have to use the hub to control motion based switching. If you associate these properly you can turn on directly from the sensor.

In addition to the other questions regarding identifying where the delay comes from -

1. Are you using the Motion Lighting rules or Rule Machine to handle the ‘if motion, then on’ logic?
  2. If you use the Hub to turn on and off that light over zwave, is that instant?

Despite my version 2.5 sensor reporting not listening, it still responds to commands pretty quickly (seemingly not waiting for a wakeup interval to pass before getting the command, or maybe just a really really short interval).

Unfortunately, I don’t know how to tell if any traffic is actually getting routed by a device, only that it’s reporting capable of routing.

I’d look at the route to the hub for devices around it. If you see one connecting through it, then you know it’s routing. If you don’t, unfortunately, then you don’t know for sure.

It’s not very clear in zwavejs2mqtt’s network map. There are neighbors of the LZW60 that can’t see the controller directly, but those devices always have other neighbors they could route through as well. I’m not sure which route traffic is actually taking.

Just for clarity, do you mean you have the battery in, or did you convert it to be wired?

There’s no battery. It’s powered by a USB cable.

If it’s plugged in, it can’t have a battery inserted because of how it’s cabled. It’s one or the other. I think what @krisk is saying that when it’s powered by USB, it’s still reporting a dead battery and in a perfect world, it wouldn’t report dead when plugged in.

Did you have to alter it to get it powered by USB, or where am I supposed to be able to plug into?

Oh I get that, I’m just wondering what I missed when I set mine up the other day and left it on battery. If I can easily change these to cabled w/ USB, that would be ideal.

No alteration. Just pull out the battery and there’s a micro USB jack.

2 Likes

Well sweet, thanks :slight_smile:

You can be fancy and 3D print a new back door with a circle or groove cutout. STL models are here:

2 Likes

That’s what I believe I am trying to do but don’t know how to go about it… Using the association tool.

I am testing this and with 5x click inclusion it is showing a role type of “SLAVE_ALWAYS_ON” and the check box is showing that it is a listening node. Also, it responds to commands instantly and they are not queued like they typically are with battery devices.

On the other hand a 1x inclusion shows the device as a “SLAVE_SLEEPING_REPORTING” and does not have the check box to indicate it is a listening node.

1 Like

Hmmm… maybe I didn’t quintuple-click fast enough?