[DEVICE PAGE] Inovelli 4-in-1 motion sensor LZW60

Hmmm, I’m not pressing very fast. Just the typical speed that I use with all of our products. I’ll try to get a video of it.

Edit: Here is a video of the inclusion with 5x button press.

@EricM_Inovelli , I finally got around to excluding and then reincluding my LZW60 with the 2.5 firmware via quintuple-click. It does now show awake all of the time and routing! Nice!

@EricM_Inovelli , interesting development (at least I think).

After getting routing working, I noticed unexpectedly high temperature and low humidity readings from the sensor. I was thinking that maybe the sensors would be recalibrated with a power cycle, so I shut off USB power to the sensor, waited about 45 minutes, and then turned power back on. Initial sensor reports after the power cycle were back in the range I expected. However, over an hour or so, temperatures climbed back to where they were before and humidity dropped.

On a bit of a whim, I excluded the sensor and reincluded with a single click, so I’m back to the kind of odd state with zwavejs showing “isListening”: false and “isRouting”: true. But, wouldn’t you know it, the temperature and humidity readings are back to expected values! I think that being constantly listening/routing causes the electronics to heat up and throw off the temperature readings (and I’m guessing that relative humidity isn’t measured directly, but is calculated based on air temperature, thus throwing off the humidity reading).

Interesting. By how many degrees does it change by? Can you set 1 up with a 5x click inclusion and 1 up with a 1x inclusion right next to each other for comparison?

@EricM_Inovelli , it looks like it went up by about 7° F.

You can see when I excluded/reincluded to enable routing around Noon on Aug 12 and the temperature jumps. On the 16th at around 9 AM I turned off power to the sensor and turned it back on at 10 AM. By 10:30 AM it was back to its hotter self. I then excluded/reincluded to disable routing on the 16th at around Noon.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a spare LZW60 to test with. Perhaps I can order one.

I have two I can setup side by side. You want one included with usb power and one on battery? I’m on HA. Not sure if that matters

This morning I setup two LZW60s side by side in my attic. Both have the 2.5 firmware and are powered via USB. The normal inclusion is currently reporting 77.9F and the 5x inclusion is reporting 85.1F. Humidity on normal inclusion is 66% and 5x inclusion is reporting 58%. I’ll post a graph tonight so we can see if the offsets hold steady. The attic gets some good temperature variation over throughout the day so this should be a good test. I’m running HA 8.7 and zwavejs2mqtt 0.23.5

Edit: I forgot to update the reporting rate from every 2 hours. I’ll set that to every 15 min tonight.

1 Like

@EricM_Inovelli results are in. Orange line is from the sensor included with a single tap and blue is the five tap. Both are powered via USB and placed side by side.(See previous post) The break in the orange line is where I upgraded the unit from 2.4 to 2.5 firmware. It loks like a steady 5 degree difference between the two units and 5-10 percent on the humidity.

2 Likes

And at the beginning of the experiment they were reporting the same temperature. My hypothesis is that if you were to unplug the repeater (or both) for an hour or two, when you plugged them back in they’d go back to reporting the same and the repeater would skew back to being hotter over time.

The outlet in my attic is on a dedicated breaker. I’ll turn it off overnight and we’ll see what happens.

@krisk @EricM_Inovelli I turned off breaker around 10:30PM and back on at 7:45 AM. Temp was the same in both sensors briefly then separated. It looks the graph tries to smooth the curve between data points. Ignore the 10:30PM to 7:45AM section

2 Likes

Thanks!

I know it isn’t ideal, but as a workaround can HA apply an offset? Our SmartThings and Hubitat drivers allow for an offset of -10 to + 10.

I just noticed something odd in the zwave Multilevel sensor report. The repeater sensor is displaying Celsius and the non repeating sensor is reporting Fahrenheit.
Right now the values are 29.6C and 78F. 29.6C=85F. I’m guessing there is a bad conversion in the firmware.

To answer your question I do not see an automatic way to adjust the value off the sensor. It would not be hard to do in an automation.

1 Like

No automation required. I setup a value_template

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors: 
      4_in_1_motion_sensor_air_temperature_2_corrected:
        value_template: "{{(states('sensor.4_in_1_motion_sensor_air_temperature_2')) | float - 7}}"
        friendly_name: 'Attic_repeater: Corrected Temperature'
      4_in_1_motion_sensor_humidity_2_corrected:
        value_template: "{{(states('sensor.4_in_1_motion_sensor_humidity_2')) | float + 11}}"
        friendly_name: 'Attic_repeater: Corrected Humidity'
1 Like

I’m running my LZW40 on battery and I’m struggling with the following scenario. When motion is detected, I’d like to turn on a light but only if the room is currently dark. Lux is reported on a timer, so that reading might be almost 2 hrs old and useful. I was trying to weigh my options.

Option 1: Shorten the lux reporting time and start chewing through batteries.
Option 2: Move the sensor so I can plug it in.

I was wondering if it would be possible (probably with a firmware upgrade) to have the sensor report the current lux whenever it detects motion?

For my use cases reporting temperature and humidity on a timer makes perfect sense. These are things I’d like to track over time. I have NO use for tracking illuminance over time. I DO have a use for an accurate illuminance reading at the time when motion is detected. As a matter of fact, I’d be perfectly happy if the sensor only reported lux when reporting a change in motion.

I guess I’d like to put that on the Feature Request list for the LZW40. Unless I’m completely missing another option that might meet my needs.

Thoughts?

Yeah, this is something that I will request in a firmware update. A config parameter that “when motion is detected, send the following reports”: lux, temp, humidity. You will get to choose which reports you want.

2 Likes

This looks like a nice product, and a natural continuation of the Inovelli product line, but I can’t see the cost-to-benefit ratio working out here unless you live in a small apartment. Outfitting a modestly sized home for coverage of only the key areas would take at least 4 units, and at that price, you could purchase 10 door/window sensors, 5 PIR motion sensors, and 3 climate sensors along with an 433 MHz RF bridge to boot. Yeah, its not as easy to set up as Zwave, but my RF network has been more reliable than my Zwave by far.

That being said, I’m going to pick one of these up with my points! It looks like a great product.

So my LZW60 connected to hubitat (using the Inovelli driver) always reports a battery level of 1. (It is using a battery)

I’ve traced it to this method in the driver:

def zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.batteryv1.BatteryReport cmd) {
    if (debugEnable != false) log.debug "${device.label?device.label:device.name}: ${cmd}"
    if (infoEnable != false) log.info "${device.label?device.label:device.name}: Battery report received: ${cmd.batteryLevel}"
    def map = [ name: "battery", unit: "%" ]
    if (cmd.batteryLevel == 0xFF) {
        map.value = 1
        map.descriptionText = "${device.displayName} battery is low"
        map.isStateChange = true
    } else {
        map.value = cmd.batteryLevel
    }
    state.lastBatteryReport = now()
    createEvent(map)
}

I don’t know what

if (cmd.batteryLevel == 0xFF)

is supposed to evaluate, but it seems to always be true and always gives me a battery level of “1”. From the surrounding code, this appears to be a low battery state, but 1 is the only value I’ve ever gotten for a battery reading. Even with a new battery. Is there something I need to reset?

Any thoughts? TIA!

1 Like

I just installed my 4-in-1 motion sensor yesterday (plugged in) on Hubitat (non-secure) and everything worked except motion which was stuck on active.

It had joined using the Hubitat driver so I switched it to the current Inovelli driver but it was still stuck on active even minutes after I walked into the room and back out so I changed the motion sensitivity to 0 to disable it and it switched to inactive immediately. I then changed that setting back to 8 but it hasn’t changed to active when I’ve been in the room since.

I’m currently using the Lux sensor on the device which is updating correctly, but would like to use the motion sensor as well so I can retire a battery motion detector which doesn’t have Lux.

Has anyone else seen this behavior or is it likely a bad sensor?

Thanks.