Do I need an aux switch for smart bulb mode in multi-way

Title says it all. I have a Red Dimmer, and I’m getting some smart bulbs later this week. It’s in a 4-way. I have neutrals.

From the product description, it looks like an aux switch is required.

But when I asked this question a few months back, I was told I don’t need one:

Can anyone confirm/deny?

EDIT: Disregard this

As far as needing an Aux switch, provided you are using a Dimmer and not an On/Off switch, then no, Aux switches aren’t necessary and you can utilize your existing dumb switches… But, you need to have the Line and Load in the same box (see first image below, and not the second image below)

I may be and likely am wrong when the dimmer needs to be in Smart Bulb mode. Which makes my eariler quoted reply also wrong.

As far as smart bulbs go, unless they are Z-Wave bulbs, you won’t be able to associate them directly to the switch and will be reliant on automations to control your lighting.

While I don’t necessarily see anything in either the manual or the wiring diagrams mentioning this, a quick search using Goolge’s AI says that it won’t work.

And I now see that it states this plainly on the product page even if I don’t see it in any documentation elsewhere…

In other words… wait for someone else with more experience than me using dumb switches in a multi-way configuration chime in on this, as I obviously don’t have the experience working with them in this manner and appear to have been mistaken… lol.

I apologize for adding to any confusion on this topic.

Some responses here aren’t accurate.

Short answer, get two Aux switches.

At least on the Gen 2 dimmers, a dumb switch would cut power to bulbs in the smart bulb mode.

Since you will have smart bulbs, you will presumably use the dimmer to control them. You’ll need Aux switches for the dimmer to echo the commands they send.

On another note, you have a Zwave switch and Zigbee bulbs. Most here bind the switch to the smart bulbs, but you can’t do that cross-protocol. You’ll have to code on/offs and dim levels via automations and button presses. You might want to consider using blue switches with Zigbee bulbs.

Aux switches already ordered, just waiting for them to come off backorder!

First order of business when I come into some money around the holidays is to swap out all of my Z-Wave switches with Zigbee. I have an automation that works pretty well for them, but I’d definitely prefer binding.

At least on the Gen 2 dimmers, a dumb switch would cut power to bulbs in the smart bulb mode.

If I just don’t touch the dumb switches, will the single smart switch work temporarily until I get the aux switches?

Wire the dimmer as a 2-way. Cap off the traveler(s) that isnt being used temporarily.