Do I need to use OpenZWave to use Inovelli switches

I have a basic HA install on an RPI-4 using built in Zwave interface (nothing OpenZwave has been installed.) Reading through the material for installing an Inovelli device, an XML file is needed. The directories mentioned to place this file do not exist on my install. (I’m using basic RPI image, not docker.) Leads me to believe OpenZWave is required.

If OpenZWave is required, what are the steps to getting this to run on my RPI-4? A Basic outline of the steps would be great. I’d like to keep everything on the RPI4.

Thanks

I am running HA on a RPI4 with inovelli switches. Here is the guide I followed:

The files get places in to a sub folder of the config directory. The most difficult part was downloading the files all at once.

Hope that helps!

BuilderTroy,
Thanks so much for this link. I think I may have seen it but again I was thinking that OZW was needed…which I’m not against; I’m just to new to HA to grasp the whole setup for OZW…so this is perfect. I’ve got it downloaded and installed. Next step, I need to install one of my Red switches and give it a go.

Regards,
Davideos

Great! Glad to hear you got it working!

I’d strongly consider using the OZW beta integration if you are just starting to build your z-wave network, since that will eventually take over as the default.

1 Like

Yea, that is a good point. Are you using it today? I haven’t migrated over from the custom integration but am considering it.

Do you know if the two can run in parallel or what the migration path is?

Troy

doublepedaldylan,
I really wanted to use the OZW in the latest release, 0.110, but it was just a bit confusing to me; especially since I just started looking at it.
There are several items I couldn’t figure out.

1. OZW is required. I’m not sure if this has to be an external device or can be “brokered” in HA itself. I’d rather not have yet another piece of hardware which means I’d have to run HA on a docker so I can have OZW also running docker on the same machine.
  2. MQTT is also required. I think just Mosquito MQTT would be sufficient, but I haven’t looked into it yet.
  3. I’m using a USB stick that has both Zwave and Zigbee. If I am able to run it all on the same RPI-4, does that complicate anything? I don’t think so since they are seen as 2 different USB devices; however, it does had an extra complication.

Anyway, if you could point me to a detailed walk through of an install that helps explain these components, I’d appreciate it.

Thanks,
David

1 Like
  1. Handled internally by HA with the add-on, I’m pretty sure.
  2. Assume so as well, have avoided the world of MQTT so far.
  3. Also assume so, if it works with stock, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work with the new version.

Guides on install would be probably found on the HA forums, don’t know of anyone here that has gotten into it yet.

1 Like