Double/Triple Tap etc in Smartthings

Red Series . . .

ST Parent DTH’s
20200206:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.groovy

20200206:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/SmartThingsInovelli/master/devicetypes/inovelliusa/inovelli-switch-red-series-lzw30-sn.src/inovelli-switch-red-series-lzw30-sn.groovy

Hubitat
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/master/Drivers/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.src/inovelli-dimmer-red-series-lzw31-sn.groovy

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/InovelliUSA/Hubitat/master/Drivers/inovelli-switch-lzw30.src/inovelli-switch-lzw30.groovy

I read this this threat. I understand how to create the smart Light to acces multitap. But my question is there a way to access those multitap within the app itselft?

Let say I want to double tap UP from within the smarthings app no with the switch physically.

Thanks!

So when you set a double-tap to do something, you are actually using the switch as a scene controller. So a double-tap up on the switch invokes a specific button press that gets sent to the hub.

At this point, I think it depends on how you have ST configured. In my case, I am using the Classic app and configured scenes independently. So, for example, one of my scenes sets three smart bulbs to 50% illumination. Using a button controller in ST, I told ST to run that scene when it gets that button press (i.e. the double-tap up). If I want to run that scene, I go to the scenes tab and just run it. I don’t do anything with the switch in the app.

(Keep in mind that if you’re not using the Classic app, things may be a bit different. I refuse to convert until Samsung makes me!)

My point is that you should can’t, AFAIK, invoke a double-tap etc from the ST app. You should be run the scene from the app. It possible to do this without scenes, so you may have to create them to mimic what the switch is invoking.

hi, I’m not sure I got your point but there it is anyway, just in case: if you wanted to double/triple (etc) tap from the app, it would better just going directly to the switch you want to control and turn it on/off from there.

for instance, if double tapping the physical switch invokes a scene that turns the kitchen on, when using the app, you don’t need a shortcut for that scene, you just go to the device you want to control and turn it on or off directly. it’s even faster that way.

My question is simple… I think…

This is what I want basically like it used to be with 1st gen. This is a 1st gen screenshot.

1 Like

Doing what you want there would require modifications to the device handler. Fairly certain it’s possible but my guess is inovelli was looking for a stream lined look. Maybe we can get some system where there a tile is added that brings up all of those. Maybe best of both worlds.

I don’t actually think it’s a difficult thing to do. I just am not sure they are going for that look. You can probably go to the gen1 device handler and the code is probably extremely similar.

Thanks, I don’t have any Gen 1’s. I looked at my Gen 2 and I also see the single “Tap” with arrows in the large colored box. I have no idea what that’s there for. I definitely don’t have what you have with the Gen 1.

That may be a DH thing. Tagging @EricM_Inovelli.

I still think it’s just as easy to have the switch run a scene and then just run that from ST.

Gen 2:

I think the problem with scenes is it could get complicated quick. There could be like 15 scenes per switch.

2 Likes

That’s good, right? LOL :joy::joy::joy:

Lol I guess. I mean one advantage of a scene is also that you can call it from a smart assistant.

So I looked into this more… Those gen1 tiles are actually in the device handler. They are just commented out. For the On/Off Red Series Device Handler dated 2020-06-02 it’s lines 137 - 189. They are commented out with a block comment. I believe that if those block comments are removed it will do exactly what you want it to. If it was me I’d probably wait for @EricM_Inovelli to give the OK before making a modification to the device handler. I’m not sure what could go wrong, but I have only looked at the device handler more closely since trying to address my own little problems (shameless plug :wink: ). But the good news is I predict you will be able to do what you want.

Edit: Just noticed you were using the dimmer switch I believe. I think in your case for the latest device handler on github you are looking at lines 150 - 198 that are commented out.

The new app does not have the widget capability of the old app. It’s coming, but not there yet.

Color control is even available in Alexa, it’s frustrating that it isn’t yet available in the new ST app itself.

Ahh so your saying that those things are commented out to maintain compatibility with the new Smartthings app. I mean in theory though uncommenting them should allow their use in the old app though right.

Imop Samsung managed create a textbook what not to do when you are trying to migrate your customer base to a new technology. It amazes me how they managed to take their position as a major player and create such massive confusion around their product and splinter their customer base into old app, new app, and those (like me) trying to desperately straddle the middle because some things don’t work in one or the other…

I think those are commented out as MOST people never use beyond a few buttons, but it could easily be added if you wanted that functionality. I’ve tried and it’s a GRID of buttons.

1 Like

Yep, you are correct. They are commented out to reduce clutter as most people didn’t use the buttons in the app. We found most people setup their ‘scenes’ in various apps and just use the actual switch to test if they work (instead of pushing the button in the device page).